Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z sat for a little bit, now the battery constantly dies.

I would normally think its just the battery, but there is no error codes when the charger is plugged into it. Usually when a battery is dead I thought it would say that the battery needs to be replaced on the charger.

Also when I charge the battery fully, it will be good but there seems to hiccup a little while riding. The check engine light would flash for a second, and then it would smooth out again. I think some people have had issues with the stator before on these bikes, but I have no clue how to diagnose if that is the issue.

Figured I would post this up before I buy a new battery. Im not a huge fan of replacing stuff until its fixed. I would rather figure out what the issue is and then fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not a service technician or an electrical engineer, so feel free to ignore this, but here is what I would do:
First I'd try charging the battery and taking the battery to a local auto parts store and see if they have a tester that will work on that small a battery. If they do you can have them test it for you.
If that isn't an option, you could use a multimeter set to 20 volts DC to check the battery voltage with nothing turned on and the bike not running. Then place the run/stop switch in the stop position, turn on the ignition key and see how much voltage the battery has while it's providing power to the lights. If the voltage drops more than a volt I'd suspect the battery is bad.
To check the charging system, try checking the battery voltage with nothing turned on, then start the bike and rev it up to about 4 to 6 thousand rpm and check the voltage again. If the voltage at the battery is higher while the engine is revving, the charging system is probably not the problem. Notice however that I did say probably.
The best option by far is to take the battery to someone who has the equipment to test it under load.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick response.

I will see if my local autozone will take a look at it for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
What spaceteach said ......... with a few numbers from the service manuel
If you have a Volt meter ?
30 minutes After charge motor off / 12.6 or higher - good Batt
................................................/ but could be bad under load but then bike probably wouldn't start
............................................... / 12.0 to 12.6 V weak Batt, recharge or replace
............................................... / 12.0 or under unserviceable Bad Batt
With engine running at higher than idle 14.2 to 14.8 V alternator output good

1 - 4 of 4 Posts