Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a 143cc BBK over the weekend. While doing so I noticed a couple of things that seemed very off to me. When setting the engine to TDC, the timing marks would not line up at all. Sprocket was a tooth off from being lined up. I also found the the valve lash was way beyond spec. As far out as I didn't have a thickness gauge thick enough to get a real measurement. Bike only had 200 miles and never liked to start easy. I figured that was just how they were. But after seeing what I found, it does not surprise me. After I was done installing everything if fired up instantly and idled perfectly. Maybe I just got a bike assembled by someone when they were having a bad day? Or a trainee?

Has anyone else come across this before? I was disappointed in quality control missing this one but I guess if you make a million of any product, something bad is going to slip through eventually.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You do know that there are TWO nearby timing marks on the crank, right? I found the first mark and thought, "This can't be right." So I kept turning the crank and slightly beyond the first mark is the real TDC mark.

The camshaft sprocket can't be installed out of line on the camshaft but, of course, the cam chain could possibly be off by one or more links against the crank. I guess that wouldn't surprise me TOO much but I've never heard of such a factory slip-up before. First time for everything though.

As for valve lash, as you must already know, the stock compression release obviously has to be out of the way the check that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The T mark was aligned. Followed the service manual for all instructions. Cam chain was out of alignment by two links. Bike runs perfect now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay, this is all good to know.

Mine, with a thousand miles, starts hard...REALLY hard when cold, now that cooler weather has settled in. I have to crank it about eight seconds...stop; and then try again, and it will fire up. If I just keep on cranking, it'll fire a few times and not carry.

It starts relatively hard warm, too. Takes a full two seconds for it to get going on a warm start, and sometimes more. Occasionally I've had to goose the throttle when starting - warm. A FI setup shouldn't require that.

I've held off on checking valves - Valve adjustment is one of those tasks that gets my stomach acid flowing. Just one of those things - i'll do oil and filter and even dismantle the wiring, but valves...ohgawdno...

So there's a compression-release thingamajig in there. I'll have to see about getting a shop manual to figure out how THAT works, now...and the confusing timing marks. Amazing, how something so simple can be made so difficult...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts