Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, does anyone have issues with the oem tires? My tires slide pretty easily, I was wondering if anyone has the same issue.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey guys, does anyone have issues with the oem tires? My tires slide pretty easily, I was wondering if anyone has the same issue.
Let's put it this way: The OEM "IRC" brand tires are not "performance oriented". They were selected by Kawasaki because they are cheap (just like that non-o-ring chain they subbed in after promising a "sealed" chain in their webpages and brochures. (Per DID who MAKE chains, an o-ring chain lasts SEVEN times longer but costs only at worst 2 or 3 times what a non-o-ring chain costs)

The Z125 IRC tires are even bias ply tires, versus radials, although in fairness, the "scooter" tire market seems to be mostly (all?) bias ply, probably because bias ply tires are (a) cheaper and (b) adequate for the basic transportation usage that most scooters are used for.

Myself, I like GOOD tires, and am willing to have very short tread life to get really good traction - especially in rain. I'll be looking at Pirelli, Bridgestone, or Michelin tires when I am ready to address tires in my mod program, and if there are radial ply tires available in our size and weight class needs, I'll be going radial.

And based on past experience, I will be putting a big priority on lighter tire weight, as that reduces the rotating moment of inertia on the very components that have the absolute largest rotating radius of any part on the motorcycle. In fact, given the relative weights of the tires versus the wheels, it is FAR more important to lighten the tires then it is to lighten the wheels, because the tires weigh almost as much as the tiny wheels, and have a far greater average radius for their mass. And, the lightest and best tires money can buy are still WAY, WAY less costly than lightweight wheels.

You will be amazed at the difference in handling, acceleration, and braking that lighter tires deliver. Racers understand this, but most street riders don't. In fact, most street riders HURT their bike's performance by mounting as wide a tire as the chassis will accept, and those overly wide tires severely hurt handling, acceleration, braking, and especially tight turning (like a sharp righthand turn from a stop sign). And it's kind of crazy to think your Z125 will "look tough" when everyone knows it makes only 8 or 9 rwhp.

Jim G

·
Registered
108 Posts
I find them OK for most of my riding, except that they are absolutely useless in the wet and I dont get a confidence inspiring feel from the front at knee down lean angles.

Saying that I have a set of TT93GP Dunlops ready to go on but haven't got around to doing it yet.

With the Dunlop rear being an 80 series rather than the 70 of the stock tyre I will also need to adjust my gearing to maintain current acceleration and hill climbing ability.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got the Michelin power pure 120/70/12 front 140/70/12 rear and wow what a difference. It feels like a different bike. I can lean so much better. Plus at top speed it feels more stable. I do have a 5" stretch and 2" drop. To counter the rear 19" height.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run my stock tires a few pounds lower than what is recommended. That helps offer a slightly better contact patch. I don't care if they wear a bit faster. On the street I don't put a ton of trust in them because they never get really hot. I have run the track on stock tires and once they get hot enough, they work quite well.

I do also have a set of Kendas I'll start running once the set of stockers I'm on now are toast.

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
They're certainly not great tires. +1 on running them at lower PSI. I think 22psi was my magic number but that was a while ago. All new tires have some form release grease on them or something like that. They are all a bit slick until you knock the shiny off.

·
Registered
2017 z125 pro
53 Posts
My stock rear tire only lasted 3k miles. Currently I’m trying out the Michelin Pure Sc’s I just had installed but I’m not sure if I like the way they feel. If I don’t get use to them soon I will be switching to pmc or Dunlop’s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got about 6000 miles out of the OEM rear tire. Commuting mileage only. No knee dragging here. The original front tire soldiers on and looks almost new at 6700 miles. The stock tires do what they are intended to do.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just had installed but I’m not sure if I like the way they feel. If I don’t get use to them soon I will be switching to pmc or Dunlop’s.
Are you racing? If you use PMC tires on the street, they're only going to last you about 500 miles and they will have less traction than other tires because you won't be getting proper heat into them.

·
Registered
2017 z125 pro
53 Posts
I do some Grom races at a local kart track from time to time but I’m not fast lol. The PMT’s on a friends endurance grom have just over 1k track miles but they are not the soft compound ones. My bike will probably see more time as a pit bike and street riding than at the kart track.

·
Registered
91 Posts
running a set of the kenda tires. so far so good. way better and a total night and day difference from stock
Put a set of Kendas on my Z and WOW, what a difference! Night and day. Needless to say, I’ll be doing it again when I get my 2nd Z. Not if, WHEN! 😂

1 - 15 of 15 Posts