Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/KAWASAKI-Z1...436601?hash=item442b3170f9:g:Sj4AAOSwOyJX7ObO

The parts that interest me are:

- It is programmed via smartphone (iOS or Android) Bluetooth
- Security measures to prevent unauthorized Bluetooth access
- It apparently does NOT require tapping into the bike's wiring. Instead, it connects right between the ECU and the bike's wiring harness, so no degradation of factory weatherproofing or vibration resistance, and much easier/faster install
- Comes from Japan, not China

The parts that concern me:

- Not a known dependable brand name
- Programming via smartphone keypad could be slow
- No "library" of tunes to use or to at least guide you - you would have to tune while dynoing or just tune very conservatively rich to start and lean out gradually while checking sparkplug with each change.

Anyone heard of this one at all?

Jim G

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iread the entire description at the link above:

https://shop.dilts-japan.com/onlines...96&language=en

IF this device performs as implied, and if I proeprly understand what is being said in the less-than-great translation from Japanese, it is pretty impressive:

- Allows you to adjust the fuel injection point-by-point in a fuel map table, on a smartphone or iPad, without a computer

- Since it works on an iOS (Apple) smartphone, it is a lifesaver for Apple computer users, since neither Power Commander V nor Bazazz software works on a Mac, only a PC

- It connects at ONE point, directly between the ECU and the OEM wiring harness, and does not connect into OEM wiring anywhere else. Thus, no degradation of weatherproofing or vibration resistance, and no "suitcase" or "screw-in" conenctions into any factory wires

- It enables you to deactivate the ECU's use of data fro the oxygen sensor, so the fuel map you set up gets implemented exactly as set up, without realtime modification via oxygen sensor feedback back towards factory settings

- It allows to mount your smartphone on your handlebar, WIRELESSLY, and display in real time, ACCURATE engine tachometer, throttle position sensor, and oil temperature readings (The OEM tachometer on the Z125 reads over 10% high on my Z125, so is basically of very little practical use, so this feature is a BIG one)

- It includes a digital accelerator pump

- It includes a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) correction factor (OEM TPSs have a tolerance range)

- Allows resetting the rev limiter

- Allows setting a maximum allowed engine speed lower than the rev limit for restricted riding by kids for example

- "Independently saved data" = (Quoting te website) "An infinite number off Fuel maps and acceleration pump data can be independently saved on a PC/smartphone. Because each is independent data, a variety of combinations can be easily made. In addition, fuel maps made on smart phones can be transferred to a computer and edited. (Vice versa is also possible)"

- Water resistant for normal use (i.e. don't aim a garden hose directly at it, or hang it anywhere on the bike where rain will fall on it!)

- The price appears roughly comparable to a Power Comamnder V or Bazzaz

- They also appear to have another version that includes spark advance control, with a map and chart just like for the fuel control. But, even more so than for the fuel control only version, you'd really have to knwo what you are doing to start playing with timing advance, as you can really do major engine damage very easily when altering timing.

Negatives I can see:

- No pre-established library of tunes to draw from like you can get with a Power Commander V

- Off-shore support only?

- Warranty support??

- Instructions are poorly translated to English

Opinions from other, much more experienced mechanics or DIYers?

Jim G

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've thought some more about this Enigma product.

It appears to me that the designer/manufacturer has conceptually used fundamentally the same approach as the Power Commander V and Bazzaz to alter the fuel mapping, but has added the following key features that they lack:

- All the "connections" to the existing OEM wiring harness are via the ONE connection (right between the ECU output plug and the OEM wiring harness input plug). That connection is far more robust and protected from the weather than the multiple connectors that are located in exposed locations at the fuel injectors and TPS and that in some cases involve suitcase or screw-in "taps" that are far more fragile than OEM connectors

- The ability to display in real time the ACCURATE engine rpm, TPS position, and oil temperature on an ordinary smartphone or iPad

- The ability to connect to the smartphone or iPad WIRELESSLY, via Bluetooth, which is a very easy and "standard" connection method already present on the smartphone and iPad

The designer behind this is pretty smart.

Jim G

1 - 7 of 7 Posts