Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
A 140 rear won't necessarily give you more grip. It will slow your turn in down as well as add more weight to turn there by slowing your acceleration down too. I run a 120 rear on the track and street. I am running the dunlop tt93. Great grip and lighter weight too.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The Kenda tires are supposed to be decent too, I have a set but not installed them yet.

https://www.z125owners.com/forum/tires-wheels-suspension/15105-kenda-kd1-kwick-tires.html

If you look around, you can get them for about $70 a pair.

That said I'm not certain you want to go too much wider for the track. the 100/90 and 120/80 are probably a good size for this machine, wider won't always give you more grip, but it may make the bike slower to turn in.

I have the TT93 on my KAYO, that's a sticky **** tire, but wanted to try what is supposed to be similar grip on the Z. If it is as good, I'll cheap out and switch both to the Kenda.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about the Kenda's but don't really want to switch tires all the time from street to track. I see what you guys mean with the wider tires, probably right. I'll see if any local guys run wider tires to see if they like them, this bike is already super flickable perhaps to flickable...:wink2:
But I spoil myself with my zx6r so I want the z to be the same as much as possible

·
Registered
982 Posts
The Z125 is not the same, the more you compare it to something bigger, the more is disappoints. You need to take the Z as it is and use it for what it offers. It will never be as fast, corner as well, corner at speed, etc. as my Buell. But my Buell will not be as fun on the tight Kart tracks either, and do I really want to be going 100mph at the end of the straight anyway? Crashes get bad at 300cc speeds.

On the road the Z is just a little fun machine, not really designed for long distance, not designed for highway use. You can stuff a 300 in it if you want, but wouldn't it just be better to buy that 300 in the first place?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, I got the z strictly as a toy, the big bike is not a toy but that being said I'm going to try my best to make the z the best bike it can be for what it is

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ended up changing from stock to 120F & 130R Power Pures. I like them a TON more but next time I will downsize slightly. Probably 110F & 120R. Theres just too mush tire for the bike. I like how it rides but I also like to get to the edges of my tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up changing from stock to 120F & 130R Power Pures. I like them a TON more but next time I will downsize slightly. Probably 110F & 120R. Theres just too mush tire for the bike. I like how it rides but I also like to get to the edges of my tires.

what made you to decide to get bigger tires? Any pluses?

·
Registered
53 Posts
what made you to decide to get bigger tires? Any pluses?
I really didn't like the performance of the stock tires. Bigger slowed down the twitchiness(sp?) a little bit and the grip is much improved. Too big though, It takes a bit to switch back and forth. A little too big for me to flick it like I want to. This all might change when I get around to changing the suspension...

·
Vendor
752 Posts
In short, the wider tire suits the lowered stylistic bikes cruising for fashion, while nearly every racer oriented rider will opt for a narrow tire. Each has it's place, and we sell a ton of both. On the topic of the Kenda, it's quickly gaining a loyal following, and works well on both street and track. https://mnnthbx.com/product/kenda-kd1-kwick-tires-race-track-grom-z125/
That's not to say that the Michelin Pilot Pure and Dunlop TT93 are lesser tires, but the Kenda is a legit tire, at far better pricing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was thinking about the Kenda's but don't really want to switch tires all the time from street to track. I see what you guys mean with the wider tires, probably right. I'll see if any local guys run wider tires to see if they like them, this bike is already super flickable perhaps to flickable...:wink2:
But I spoil myself with my zx6r so I want the z to be the same as much as possible
I have been running the Kenda KD1s for a while now and they have become my favorite track day tire. I have also run the TT93s and PMT slicks but so far the Kendas are impressive for several reasons:

1. The Kendas are just as sticky but lighter than the TT93s, with similar weights to the PMTs. All weights are listed on their website.
2. The Kendas cost about half what the TT93s do, and are also DOT rated (unlike the slicks) so no need to switch after a track day.
3. There are more sizes available including a stock 120/70-12 that doesn't change the handling or gearing like the taller 120/80-12 size.

I would recommend you try a set (in OEM sizes) from one of our fine Forum vendors and I think you will really like them. I do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts