Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my starter idle gear accidentally. I was getting my hoedar ecu tuned and I came up at a red light. I thought I stalled the bike and the light turned green with a bunch of cars behind me so I hit the starter and it made a crappy sound kind of like when you restart your car when it’s already on. I didn’t think much of it since the bike continued to ride fine so I rode home and put it in for the day. Then, the following morning i went to turn it on and it made a grinding sound but started up easy and idled fine. I popped off the alternator cover and found that the idle gear had two broken teeth. I should be picking up the new one idle gear tomorrow and throwing it on but the broken teeth are actually worrying me more than anything. I drained the oil with my magnetic drain plug in the stream hoping to catch those bits but I never caught anything. I also cleaned the oil screen but there wasn’t much to see. I’m really hoping that the pieces just shattered really finely and won’t pose any threat to the internals. I guess time will tell...

·
Registered
2018 Kaswasaki Z125 Pro KRT
4 Posts
I think I may have done this same thing today.
Stalled at a light, lots of noise and traffic, went to start, thought it hadn't turned over and went to start it again with similar noise as you described.
Now every start sounds like there are marbles in my starter but the thing idles and rides fine.

Taking it to the shop soon, will let you know if it is the same thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I broke my one way clutch last week for the starter, new one will be here Friday, I been roll starting mine

·
Registered
4 Posts
I broke my one way clutch last week for the starter, new one will be here Friday, I been roll starting mine
did your bike make a kind of obnoxious grinding sound when the starter was running and then also when the motor stopped when you turn it off?

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts
I broke my starter idle gear accidentally.I popped off the alternator cover and found that the idle gear had two broken teeth. .
Yes have seen a couple and they also spin apart being a 2pc gear , Starting may have caused it, but have seen the starter clutch basket RING gets bent up also so give that a good look and might have caused the limiter gear broken teeth . If you got the bucks I'd replace both while your in there.

coltt.jpg coltttt.jpg colttt.jpg 30703710_429693277475157_4770049129147531264_n.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Video sounds like it’s the one way clutch slipping
I went to a shop nearby and they seem to agree with you, probably going to need to replace the one way clutch and or the idle gear.
I will update once I get the work done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts