·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Just curious if anyone has had any issues with an aluminum carrier?*/QUOTE]

I have a Alum' heaver load rating one myself ,But My neighbor just got that exact one and went to Washington and back here with no problem ,and he has a 450 cc bike bike . . But the spacing might be a bit much for the 12" tires ? , and you will probably have to come up with a different tie-down points / if you go all the way to one end or set it in the middle (easy eye-bolts fix)
But I've been using Alum carriers for 20 years / no problems :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think it all depends on the tow vehicle. 400# is a lot of tongue weight. I would be leary about using something like that on anything other than a truck frame (ergo the van in Kaw'ee's post). If you try and hook one of those up to a CRV (or any other car based platform), you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you remember what model carrier this is? I'm skeptical about getting one that has a wheel chock that will hold our size tires. Your seems to be doing a great job!

Just curious if anyone has had any issues with an aluminum carrier?*/QUOTE]

I have a Alum' heaver load rating one myself ,But My neighbor just got that exact one and went to Washington and back here with no problem ,and he has a 450 cc bike bike . . But the spacing might be a bit much for the 12" tires ? , and you will probably have to come up with a different tie-down points / if you go all the way to one end or set it in the middle (easy eye-bolts fix)
But I've been using Alum carriers for 20 years / no problems /forum/images/Z125owners/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
I added the front Wheel chock. but this one is much better built than the other one. I used it for a 430lb bike for 5 years plus . .The above amazon one was scary flimsy when we put a 315lb bike on it but he was out of time so he used it, and made it back ..So plenty good enough for the 225lb Z' . I also put a board in the bottom because with the smaller 12" wheels it gets pretty lumpy rolling it on ?
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/MaxxTow/MT70101.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
How do you like the Black Widow rack? I’m thinking about the two bike aluminium carrier for my Z125’s on the back of a 2017 Expedition.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Two bikes? I would just pick up a small trailer...
Thought about that but I'm out of room in the garage and I don't have anywhere else to stick it. The two bike rack I can lean up against the wall. The bikes weigh about 225lbs I think, so 450 + 50lbs for the rack, 500lbs of tongue weight isn't much on an Expedition with 9300lb towing capacity I think. I've put 600lbs of tongue weight on it towing my buddies 18' car hauler with 4 bikes on it. Now i was using a load leveling hitch but still it was like it wasn't even back there. I kinda would prefer the trailer as well but I need somewhere to store it LOL.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I could get one of those as well but since I have the Spyder and Slingshot if I'm gonna spend $2000 on a trailer might as well get one that can carry everything in one way or another. I may just spend the $175 and grab a single rail hitch carrier to take the Z to the track with for now until i figure out what the heck I'm gonna do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts