Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys verify if this is indeed a normal sounding engine? Dealer claims they don’t hear anything...

I did a full 600 mile service which includes valve adjustments, oil, filter, bolts, lube, etc.

Tick seems to start after about 8 minutes of sitting idle after a cold start.

Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sounds like the tri-shaft intake flange may have sheered off or was never installed properly at the factory.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the tri-shaft intake flange may have sheered off or was never installed properly at the factory.
Is there any way I can check that or should I take it to the dealer? Every time I take it, they can’t replicate or hear the tick... conviently, it isn’t as audible when I take it... I’m planning on taking it back and just leaving it on till it starts ticking so they can hear it...

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
you say you think ? and the dealer says they dont here anything ? And I dont really here anything other than the standard Loud Sewing Machine sound a lot of members talk about and think something is wrong. If you just did Valves, and fresh oil unless something is really wrong ? I think its normal . When you change from "i think'' to "I know somethings wrong" back to the dealer and then maybe they will here it also. After Listening to a lot of ticking video's its hard to hear what your actually hearing standing over it . check out these ticking videos and if theres something in one of them that sounds the same go from there , or post back referencing something from one of them.
https://www.z125owners.com/forum/ka...07-intermittent-loud-engine-ticking-idle.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you say you think ? and the dealer says they dont here anything ? And I dont really here anything other than the standard Loud Sewing Machine sound a lot of members talk about and think something is wrong.
Kaw'ee, first of all, thank you for posting that link. It was very helpful!

Secondly, I say “think” because I’m not sure if this tick is normal. Maybe it’s me reading too much into engine noises.

Unfortunately, it only happens at low idle when the engine warms up. The dealer turned the bike on, waited a few minutes and heard nothing. They claim they claim everything is good to go. However, after a 5 mile ride home, the ticking became audible. I rode back to the dealer, turned the bike off for all of 2 minutes, and as life would have it the ticking was faint enough to gave them say it’s normal...

Again, thanks for your help! It’s good to have piece of mind that this might just be a noisy machine!

·
Registered
933 Posts
... conviently, it isn’t as audible when I take it... I’m planning on taking it back and just leaving it on till it starts ticking so they can hear it...
I see you are becoming familiar with Murphy's Law as it relates to diagnosing intermittent vehicle problems. Been there, frustrating.

The dealer turned the bike on, waited a few minutes and heard nothing.
To be fair, even a few minutes is a long time to stand around with a customer and gawk at a perfectly normal idling motorcycle.

You mentioned it starts ticking around 8 mins? If that's pretty consistent you should go back and wait the 8 minutes. Let the guys go about their business in the shop and wave a tech over when it starts making the sound. Even if it is normal they should be able to give you a definitive answer that way.

In my experience with air cooled bikes they can get pretty hot sitting around idling for ~10 mins, not sure if that's a factor or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my experience with air cooled bikes they can get pretty hot sitting around idling for ~10 mins, not sure if that's a factor or not.
Yeah, that’s why I ride it there and turn it off, then flag a guy down. Air cooled bikes tend to get pretty hot and I hate to have it heat up needlessly. It just seems that’s enough to have the tick dissipate a bit.

I completely agree with you. I hate to have my time wasted and I hate to waste other people’s time as well! My next thought was exactly that... go there, turn it on, wait till it starts to tick, then flag a guy down.

Thanks for all your help guys! I think I’m pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
933 Posts
One more thing to consider before you leave.

Your OP says "after extended idle on cold start" <-paraphrasing

Does it tick on warm starts too? If you plan to ride the bike to the shop a cold start is out of the question unless you have somewhere to go waste time while it cools down. Just stuck out to me as a reason it isn't evident to the techs.

Either way, identifying the noise as happening all the time vs only during cold starts gives the techs more to work with too.

Good luck, let us know what you find out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts