Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was there any other frame modifications you had to do to the 300’s to get it to accept the Z125 front forks or the tail section?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
This was far more complicated than just putting forks and small tires on a ninja 300. I have somewhat made a pic to roughly show how I built the frame. This picture does not show the amount of gussets and reinforcements I did to the front of the frame, nor the reinforcements I welded inside the factory tubes. I also had a lot of jigs, levels, lasers ect to ensure the frame was straight and the exact stance as the factory Z-125. The rear suspension was adjusted to compensate for shortening the rear swing arm. The front geometry is the same as stock, the only thing changed was the lengthening of the wheel base.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Whats up all you cool cats and kittens! I haven't been on here in a loooooooooong time, but I wanted to sign back in and share the latest change to the z300 brake system. First off the bike has been running great!!! It has basically been rode hard and put away wet since I finished the swap to the ninja 300 engine. It is no nice to be able to keep up with all my friends on their full size bikes. I still get tons of looks going down the highway at 90mph. I really have had zero problems with it, however there was one issue with the ABS system I was just not addressing until I had time a few weeks ago.

For those that haven't seen my previous threads, when I did the swap to the ninja engine, I also took the entire Ninja300 ABS system and adapted it to the Z. I ended up buying an additional rear disk from a 300 to put on the front of the Z, because the stock Ninja front disk was way too big. However, it turns out the rear disks off the 300 were much larger than the stock Z disks, and they fit perfect after machining some adapters. I remember a while back asking the question if anyone knew weather or not the Ninja ABS computer talked to the Engine ECM to compare speeds. The ECM computer measures the speed of the drive sprocket and relays this to your speedometer. The ABS system counts the spaces in the ABS ring with a hall affect sensor located at the wheel. Well, I never did get an answer on that so I just rolled with the factors abs rings which had 50 holes in them.

The ABS system did work, in fact it worked great! BUT.....after about 2-3 min of riding, OR after passing through about 62mph you I would get my ABS light. The light would come on and I would loose my ABS function until the engine was turned off and restarted...then again it would work for a few min. Well, my guess is that because I re geared the sprockets to match the factory speed of the 300, the ABS computer was doing one of two things. 1) It thinks the wheel is going much faster than the bike is, throwing a miss compare with the ECM, or 2) The definition in the rings is just too small for the ABS computer to get a reliable reading. Either way these are just a guess, and my only fix was to make a new ABS ring that matched the ratio of the size of the Z small wheel. After doing the math this turned out to be and ABS ring with 41 holes in it as compared to the Ninja stock ring with 50 holes.

I have attached a few pictures of the process of my buddy designing the new ring on Fusion 360 and cutting it out on his CNC. I then purchased some stainless rivets and cut them down, then pressed the new rings back onto the disk. Unfortunately there is still too much snow and mud for me to go test this new setup!!! But I hope in the next day or two it should be dry enough on the dirt road to go give this a try. I will keep you all posted!

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Note to self: "Make friends with the machinist at work."

Looks great and we certainly appreciate you stopping by to share your updates. I'm glad the Z300 has been everything you had hoped. Fingers crossed the ABS works flawlessly now.

(BTW I'm shocked that you are still on the stock IRC tires, get something sticky on that beast!)

Is that something you could have 3D printed? Seems like a part that doesn't need to be super ridged.
Agreed, but probably cheaper to have machined than printed. Not sure what ferrous metals are available for 3D printing, as I believe that's a requirement for the Hall effect sensor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Note to self: "Make friends with the machinist at work."

Looks great and we certainly appreciate you stopping by to share your updates. I'm glad the Z300 has been everything you had hoped. Fingers crossed the ABS works flawlessly now.

(BTW I'm shocked that you are still on the stock IRC tires, get something sticky on that beast!)

Agreed, but probably cheaper to have machined than printed. Not sure what ferrous metals are available for 3D printing, as I believe that's a requirement for the Hall effect sensor.
Yes its a hall effect sensor so it needs to be ferrous, then I used stainless rivets to put it back on the disk. The only thing I wish I had done different was powder coat the new rings, but ain't no body got time for that when the weather is nice enough to ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I am about to order the ohlins front fork springs for the bike from MNNTHBX. Not that I am a bad *** rider that needs them, but more for the fact that I have added so much additional weight to the bike I think it will help out. I am also over 200lbs so the stance is way below where is should be. Possible some tires after that because a lot of my riding is on dirt roads. Then I will be making a video of everything. (Something I have been putting off for a year) I am just lazy when it comes to videos but I will try to take a bunch of footage then have someone edit it all. I will def take some footage of the bike under acceleration so everyone can see how it performs with a stock 300 engine. Let me know what else I should include? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I will def take some footage of the bike under acceleration so everyone can see how it performs with a stock 300 engine. Let me know what else I should include?
Find a stock engine Z to race against just for the giggles. Or even better, a fully bolted one.

I'd also love to see a Wheeler Dealers style cost summary, including your own time and the time of any experts you used along the way.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts