Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have no idea. Honestly getting the frame the correct size was only about half the work. Getting all the small stuff like dash to fit, adapters for disk brakes, building a new fuel tank, making space for the larger wire harness to fit, different clutch cables, handlebar controls, etc. That stuff has taken me months to figure out. I should have the frame back from coating soon then I hope to be close to ending this project.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few guys have done the ZS190 swap in their Z125s. You just need the adapter plates. Check with Mike Davis at the ZS190 Swap Shop page on FB. I think he can get them. Much better than modding the Z125 motor IMHO. You get a 5 speed transmission, more speed and power, and a much more reliable motor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok once again sorry I have been slow at getting on here with updates but I have been working non stop on this project. Not sure if I mentioned before but I am using two ninja 300 rear disk brakes on both the front and rear of the Z125. These rotors are slightly larger than the factory front disk on the Z. I am also using the abs system which was a lot of work to get to fit, but here are just a couple pics of the adapters that were designed to fir the three hole ninja disk pattern to the four hole Z wheel, as well as keeping the bolts with enough clearance for the ABS sensor to work. The prototype were cut from 6061 but the final product was 7075 then treated with alodine then painted. I have also machined out adapters to use the ninja 300 calipers because they are dual piston vs the Z single piston.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Here are a couple pics of the frame after it was powder coated. They told me this color was the same green Kawasaki used, at first I wasn't crazy about it but I guess its grown on me. Once everything is together all you will really see is the rear swing arm. It still a little brighter than the stock z paint. I also added a pic of the tank so you can see how much of the bottom I had to cut off then weld in the flange for the ninja fuel pump. This tank had to be cut for two reasons, first to clear the sides of the frame mods, and 2nd to create enough room to fit the abs control module.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Just weighed the bike, 275 lbs with 3/4 tank of fuel. I still don't have the front brake caliper on, and a few small things so call it 285wet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I don't know how to answer this, but for most people no. I am upgrading this swap to ABS brakes which has been just as much of a headache as getting this engine to fit in this small of a bike. The main reason I am using a ninja rear rotor on the front is for the ABS sensor ring. It's also just slightly larger and thicker than the Z front rotor, but in order to make this work I had to mill of 2.75mm off the Z fork mounting holes, I had to design a new bracket that will bolt to the Z fork, but hold the Ninja caliper. I still need to have this machined out on my friends CNC this week. I also had to design a bracket to hold the sensor on the front wheel, and last was to machine the adapter plates just to hold the rotor to the wheel.......so if your looking for a bolt on upgrade I would def just do the Brembo caliper and bolt it on.

Looking back I realized putting abs on this project would be a lot of work, but I had no idea it would be this much. The biggest issue is space on this small bike. I had to trade off some gas tank size for the ABS controller motor, and getting the 2nd computer to fit under the seat took me days of playing tetris. The additional amount of wiring was a huge obstetrical to overcome as well.

I have to lengthen my throttle cables slightly so the parts should be here this week for that. I was able to get a clutch cable for a 900 that worked out perfect. I had to order a new oil line and some other small parts this week as well. The first sprocket spacer I cut out was off by 3.5 mm so I just milled out a new one yesterday. The last two parts to cut are just for the front caliper mounts then I should be able to take my first test ride.

Attached are some of the parts designed with fusion 360 cad (free program)

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was on board until you said you had to mill the OEM forks. I was hoping it would be as simple as fabricating some fancy bracketry and making this a bolt on upgrade. Larger rotors and an extra piston seems like a no-brainer upgrade.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
ok just a quick update. I took the bike for its very first ride! It was very short and just down a dirt path on my property because as you can see in the pics I still don't have a front brake caliper on yet......but I could not help myself I just had to try it a little. It was absolutely amazing!!! The power was was great but it didn't feel out of control. Everything was very smooth and of course very very quick. I still have some issues to work out with the throttle, I had to lengthen the cables and they are not as smooth as I would like (the factory ninja throttle cable is a bad design in my opinion) so I have an aftermarket push pull setup on order. I should have the brake caliper bracket cut out by tomorrow so that will be installed. I might do something with the exhaust but not sure yet. Its very low to the ground. I might have to stiffen the front fork some, but that will be down the road. I can't wait to get it on the pavement and see how it does with some traction. Here are a couple pics with the body off.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I have not been on here for a while but I have been riding the Z296 A LOT!!! I love this bike! It has been running great, the weight is low and the handling is amazing. It's quick enough to hang with my friends larger bikes. It has no problems cruising down the highway at 85mph, and I have pushed it up to just over 100mph a few times. I have about 500 miles on the swapped engine. The abs works great especially on all the dirt roads I have to take to my house. The power curve is great and the new exhaust gives me plenty of clearance. I did add a silencer in the lower exhaust pipe because I am not a fan of super loud bikes. I plan to make some videos soon! Here are a couple pics of the bike at my work today.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have not been on here for a while but I have been riding the Z296 A LOT!!! I love this bike! It has been running great, the weight is low and the handling is amazing. It's quick enough to hang with my friends larger bikes. It has no problems cruising down the highway at 85mph, and I have pushed it up to just over 100mph a few times. I have about 500 miles on the swapped engine. The abs works great especially on all the dirt roads I have to take to my house. The power curve is great and the new exhaust gives me plenty of clearance. I did add a silencer in the lower exhaust pipe because I am not a fan of super loud bikes. I plan to make some videos soon! Here are a couple pics of the bike at my work today.

Awesome :grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Neal98:
Exactly! Why the fascination with the 300? Grom people as well??? A Kawasaki KDX 175 or 200 engines are dirt cheap, have lighting coils, WAY lighter and smaller AND make more power!!
I actually have a running '81 KDX 175 :grin2:. A mid 90's to early 2000's KTM 200 engine would be great as well.

Just Sayin ..............

41 - 60 of 69 Posts