Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question already in another current thread, but that thread drifted off into a discussion on the canister system and other regional model differences, so I am going to try again here!

From those who actually have a Chimera Intake, or at least have heard one enough to be able to answer with some experience behind them:

- How much noticeable noise does the Chimera Intake add to a Z125?

- Does the added noise change notably with different (a) throttle levels or (b)

- If there is already an aftermarket exhaust on the bike, but a moderate noise-level one and not an "arrest me" level loud one, does the Chimera add enough sound volume to make a noticeable difference?

- One forum member replied to the original thread saying that the Chimera added a "growl" to the bike's sound. For real? (I'm asking because I have yet to hear a Z125 exhaust that would be described as having a "growl". 125cc just does not seem to be enough to "growl") :)

By the way, I know that MNTHBX offers an intake as well. My reason for favouring the Chimera is that the Chimera includes a spigot for the crankcase vent line, whereas the MNTHBX one does not. I know there are debates about the undesirability of injecting crankcase fumes into the intake tract, but I view that as a lesser evil than needing to install, and then regularly keep clean, unobstructed, and dry, a mini filter on the crankcase vent line.

If I am missing some other benefit that the MNTHBX version offers, please let me know.

Jim G

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have the @mnnthbx MTAKE and it DOES add a growl. At small throttle inputs you hardly hear it, but if you wack the throttle open, you can definitely hear the intake. I can hear my MTAKE over my Zoom exhaust with baffle installed. Just like any manual transmission bike/car, the 'noise' the vehicle makes when you stomp on the gas is different than what you hear if you accelerate normally.

It's not the Chimera intake, but honestly, I cant imagine it being any different than the MTAKE.

I got the MTAKE over the Chimera as the MTAKE has a bracket that holds the filter to the bike. Looks like the Chimera just hangs off the TB. Since the Z is a thumper motor with lots of vibes, I didn't know how much stress that would add to the TB.

·
Vendor
752 Posts
Customer feedback suggests the Mtake is a bit quieter than the Chimera because it's silicone based and not metal. The difference is minimal though. Personally, I find neither loud or annoying.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the @mnnthbx MTAKE and it DOES add a growl. At small throttle inputs you hardly hear it, but if you wack the throttle open, you can definitely hear the intake. I can hear my MTAKE over my Zoom exhaust with baffle installed. Just like any manual transmission bike/car, the 'noise' the vehicle makes when you stomp on the gas is different than what you hear if you accelerate normally.

It's not the Chimera intake, but honestly, I cant imagine it being any different than the MTAKE.

I got the MTAKE over the Chimera as the MTAKE has a bracket that holds the filter to the bike. Looks like the Chimera just hangs off the TB. Since the Z is a thumper motor with lots of vibes, I didn't know how much stress that would add to the TB.
Thank-you for a very informative reply! That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get! Your comments on the comparative mounting systems specifically are very helpful too.

Jim G

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Customer feedback suggests the Mtake is a bit quieter than the Chimera because it's silicone based and not metal. The difference is minimal though. Personally, I find neither loud or annoying.
Thanks mnnthbx for an honest and helpful reply that politely and respectfully compares your product to a competitor's product.

If I could, I'd like to ask: You might have had a reason for not including a spigot for the crankcase vent on your product. I'd be interested in what the reason might be. I had assumed it might be that tooling that included a spigot on the silicone part might be technically difficult or impossible.

Jim G

·
Vendor
752 Posts
Thanks mnnthbx for an honest and helpful reply that politely and respectfully compares your product to a competitor's product.

If I could, I'd like to ask: You might have had a reason for not including a spigot for the crankcase vent on your product. I'd be interested in what the reason might be. I had assumed it might be that tooling that included a spigot on the silicone part might be technically difficult or impossible.

Jim G
Never been a fan of bagging anyone's product, preferring to delivery what we feel is the best, and let it speak for itself. As for the crank case vent, we preferred it be absent the the smoothest, unobstructed flow, allowing the intake to be nothing but a clean intake. We carry crank case vent kits w/ filter that make it a snap to cleanly and safely vent the case.

·
Registered
933 Posts
@mnnthbx Based on the minimal flow through the crank case vent filter it likely stays fairly clean. How often have you found they need to be cleaned/oiled? I'm thinking maybe every other time you service the intake filter or as needed based on visual inspection.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I done did my first youtubes guys lolol. Im sorry its not great but its a chimera clone i built https://youtu.be/EkEMKcAv0Ns
That doesn't sound objectionable to me, but of course this is as played on my MacBook speaker! Hmmm, if the Chimera and Mnnthbx each sound anything like that in real life, I would have no issue with the sound level. Hmmm . . .

Waiting to also hear Mnnthbx's reply to Ando's question about how frequently their crankcase filter needs to be cleaned or, better, replaced if not wildly expensive.

Also wondering if Mnnthbx ships to Canada.

Jim G

·
Registered
49 Posts
So if you wanted to toy around before spending 50 or 60 bucks, pull the front cover off the air box and stick a conical k&n air filter on the intake tube. Then you can see if you like the sound level and took me 2 minutes to do.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if you wanted to toy around before spending 50 or 60 bucks, pull the front cover off the air box and stick a conical k&n air filter on the intake tube. Then you can see if you like the sound level and took me 2 minutes to do.
That actually works? i.e. The filter fits inside the coverless airbox and attaches to the intake tube?

And the coverless airbox remaining in place does not muffle or otherwise significantly change the sound of the intake tubes with conical filter on it?

Sounds like an easy and good test to do, except that both the Chimera and the Mnnthbx intake each come with a filter, so you'd be duplicating the cost of the filter. Or, are you using the OEM intake tube as your "final" intake (instead of a Chimera or Mnnthbx tube)?

And I think both the Chimera and Mnnthbx kits are more like $100US = $130CDN aren't they?

Jim G

·
Registered
49 Posts
That actually works? i.e. The filter fits inside the coverless airbox and attaches to the intake tube?

And the coverless airbox remaining in place does not muffle or otherwise significantly change the sound of the intake tubes with conical filter on it?

Sounds like an easy and good test to do, except that both the Chimera and the Mnnthbx intake each come with a filter, so you'd be duplicating the cost of the filter. Or, are you using the OEM intake tube as your "final" intake (instead of a Chimera or Mnnthbx tube)?

And I think both the Chimera and Mnnthbx kits are more like $100US = $130CDN aren't they?

Jim G
It's exactly how i run my bike and i love it. I used the stock everything basically. I didnt have to get a fairing brace or any of those extra parts.

·
Vendor
752 Posts
I can say this as honest fact..... We've sold several hundred Mtakes, and haven't had a single customer ever bring to our attention it was loud..... However you decide to go, enjoy the great bike.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can say this as honest fact..... We've sold several hundred Mtakes, and haven't had a single customer ever bring to our attention it was loud..... However you decide to go, enjoy the great bike.
I'm warming up to your intake versus the Chimera. How often does the crankcase filter need to be serviced?

Jim G

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seldom ever. Just monitor as normal preventative maintenance. It tucks easy into a sterile location, and doesn't tend to collect much filth....
Thanks, MNNTHBX! One of our forum members is returning his Z125 to stock form and is selling his MNNTHBX intake and crankcase filter. I just bought them from him. Here is what I like about your intake versus the Chimera:

- The mounting bracket at the filter end. The Chimera has no mounting beyond the throttle body mount, and is metal which is heavier than your silicone, so creates a bigger and heavier moment arm to vibrate, and to make noise doing so too (like a musical instrument does). Now, it is POSSIBLE that the "extra" connection to the bike's frame will transmit some extra vibration to the rider, but I doubt it, because Silicone transmits a lot less vibration than metal

- You offer that Carbon Fiber rod to PROPERLY secure the body panels that in OEM fasten to the airbox

- You offer a pre-filter for wet climates - Vancouver Island where I live is, uh, "pretty wet" at times

- If the crankcase filter does not require much maintenance, your comment about keeping the crankcase vent output out of the intake tract makes a lot of sense, for both flow and intake-contamination reasons

- You offer a supplemental "kit" that includes the crankcase filter, the pre-filter, and the carbon fiber rod for a reasonable price. I won't be able to take advantage of that since I already have the crankcase filter, but other buyers will, and it's a good deal

- The silicone tubing does not transmit engine heat into the intake air anywhere near as much as the metal Chimera intake does. Cooler intake air always makes more power

- Your use of silicone for the tubing enabled you to TAPER the intake tube, which also enhances airflow through the system as a whole

- A silicone tube versus a metal tube should also make for a slightly quieter intake, as silicone transmits sound a lot less effectively than metal, and CREATES less sound to begin with.

You would not be "bragging" by saying any of the above in your website text for the product. It's just technical reality.

I hope you ship economically to Canada, because I will want to order the Carbon Fiber rod and the pre-filter. U.S. Postal does ship to Canada a bit slowly, but at reasonable prices versus UPS or other carriers. :)

Thanks for getting onto the thread and helping to educate us about your product. I appreciate a vendor doing that.

Jim G

·
Vendor
752 Posts
Thanks, MNNTHBX! One of our forum members is returning his Z125 to stock form and is selling his MNNTHBX intake and crankcase filter. I just bought them from him. Here is what I like about your intake versus the Chimera:

- The mounting bracket at the filter end. The Chimera has no mounting beyond the throttle body mount, and is metal which is heavier than your silicone, so creates a bigger and heavier moment arm to vibrate, and to make noise doing so too (like a musical instrument does). Now, it is POSSIBLE that the "extra" connection to the bike's frame will transmit some extra vibration to the rider, but I doubt it, because Silicone transmits a lot less vibration than metal

- You offer that Carbon Fiber rod to PROPERLY secure the body panels that in OEM fasten to the airbox

- You offer a pre-filter for wet climates - Vancouver Island where I live is, uh, "pretty wet" at times

- If the crankcase filter does not require much maintenance, your comment about keeping the crankcase vent output out of the intake tract makes a lot of sense, for both flow and intake-contamination reasons

- You offer a supplemental "kit" that includes the crankcase filter, the pre-filter, and the carbon fiber rod for a reasonable price. I won't be able to take advantage of that since I already have the crankcase filter, but other buyers will, and it's a good deal

- The silicone tubing does not transmit engine heat into the intake air anywhere near as much as the metal Chimera intake does. Cooler intake air always makes more power

- Your use of silicone for the tubing enabled you to TAPER the intake tube, which also enhances airflow through the system as a whole

- A silicone tube versus a metal tube should also make for a slightly quieter intake, as silicone transmits sound a lot less effectively than metal, and CREATES less sound to begin with.

You would not be "bragging" by saying any of the above in your website text for the product. It's just technical reality.

I hope you ship economically to Canada, because I will want to order the Carbon Fiber rod and the pre-filter. U.S. Postal does ship to Canada a bit slowly, but at reasonable prices versus UPS or other carriers. :)

Thanks for getting onto the thread and helping to educate us about your product. I appreciate a vendor doing that.

Jim G
That's pretty much spot on, and we've stated similar before. Enjoy!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MNNTHBX: What is the total weight (including any hardware) of the Mtake? I'm asking because I suspect there is a pretty big weight reduction achieved in going from the OEM intake/airbox setup to the Mtake. Even if we add on the crankcase filter, as that crankcase filter is probably negligible in weight.

Jim G

1 - 20 of 28 Posts