Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New member here. Previously owned 30+ motorcycles including a 2014 Honda Grom. As the title states, I just did a thing and bought a high mileage Z125. Sorta kinda know the previous owner since I'm a motorcycle tech and he has been to my workplace a few times.
Guy used it for some serious commuting...
Anyhow, looking forward to having some fun and discovering what this thing will need refreshing.
So far, I have done a couple compression tests. Revealed 55psi - in good range according to the service manual.
Clutch is starting to slip. Other than that, mostly routine service.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Welcome!
I’ve owned 26 bikes since 1971 and I thought I had a problem LOL.
It will be interesting to see how long the z lasts for with that amount of miles.
But it’s not much of a job to do a refresh. These small engines sort of remind me of a lawn mower.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome kzwh! Looking forward to hearing more on what you'll be doing to your work horse there! Keep us posted. I wonder who's got the highest milage on here on their Z?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Mechanic knowledge on the forums will always ne appreciated.

I think these bikes are pretty reliable when running stock and oil changes are done often.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi all,
New member here. Previously owned 30+ motorcycles including a 2014 Honda Grom. As the title states, I just did a thing and bought a high mileage Z125. Sorta kinda know the previous owner since I'm a motorcycle tech and he has been to my workplace a few times.
Guy used it for some serious commuting...
Anyhow, looking forward to having some fun and discovering what this thing will need refreshing.
So far, I have done a couple compression tests. Revealed 55psi - in good range according to the service manual.
Clutch is starting to slip. Other than that, mostly routine service.
You might have already done it, but pull the cam cover, pop that spring off and see what the total compression is. If you want to bother, then a leakdown test result would be interesting. I have a buddy that bought a Z125 Pro with 10k miles on it, it tested well and now it has 20k miles. (And TB clutch kits are like $40 USD). The Z is plenty reliable with only basic maintenance. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might have already done it, but pull the cam cover, pop that spring off and see what the total compression is. If you want to bother, then a leakdown test result would be interesting. I have a buddy that bought a Z125 Pro with 10k miles on it, it tested well and now it has 20k miles. (And TB clutch kits are like $40 USD). The Z is plenty reliable with only basic maintenance. Cheers!
actually did the TB HD clutch kit and a factory gasket after work today! Old plates were somewhat toast. Already tried a couple wheelies and loved it. I’m going to try my best not to be a risk taker until I have a subcage installed.
will be doing a valve clearance check/adjustment with a total compression test next time I work on it again. Parts are still rolling in. :)
Automotive tire Light Black Rim Gas

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Helmet Font Telephony

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Engineering

Motor vehicle Amber Fixture Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Sleeve Font Art Pattern Circle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting, I myself am a factory tech, Yamaha gold level tech to boot, I like seeing the high mileage that can be had on these.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome, glad to hear these minis are holding up under some serious mileage considering most spend their lives in the higher RPM band range.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Incredible to see such a high mileage Z125 getting the extra love mile! I've got about 9K on mine (2018) so almost there ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts