Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I figured with as much as I'm doing to the z some might want to check it out. I bought it new from performance powersports in seneca, SC ( I do not recommend buying from them, the experience was terrible). I immediately did the normal mods..pulled rear fender off, stock mirrors and turn signals and swapped for a mnnthbx fender eliminator, cheap Integrated tail light, led headlight and flush mount front signals. I drilled the intake and exhaust to get me by. For protection I added some zues armor cages and a curtis cage subcage as I planned to goof off with this bike. Next I installed a mnnthbx intake.

When winter began I started the build. First I pulled off the cages and wheels to be powdercoated shocker yellow. I installed one of the Amazon seats, ordered competition werles exhaust, mnnthbx lightened primary, HD clutch, tst integrated tail light,1finger clutch and brake levers, protaper cr high bars, aracer mini with af1 auto tune, galfer wave rotors stainless lines and pads. Last but not least i ordered ohlins suspension front and rear. Currently I'm waiting for the powdercoat to be finished so I can reassemble.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bike looks good and I see you took advantage of the D'Cor Visuals sticker kit also. I've got the same color Z that I picked up and I've started a pretty good list of mods on it, not unlike yourself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'm sure I have forgotten some parts in my list. Looking forward to updating this with more parts installed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is on hold until wheels come back from powdercoat so I can put the bike back on its feet. I did get the galfer lines and pads on the bike. I also added one of the cheap ebay windscreens on it. Also threw on the seat to show how it looks.

Stock vs galfer rotors for comparison.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Looks awesome. As long as the wheels are bare for powdercoating you should grab some better rubber for them. Stock tires are fine, but can't cash the checks the rest of your mods are writing.

I'm crazy happy with my Kenda Kwick KD1s. You should be able to snag a set for under $100 shipped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks awesome. As long as the wheels are bare for powdercoating you should grab some better rubber for them. Stock tires are fine, but can't cash the checks the rest of your mods are writing.

I'm crazy happy with my Kenda Kwick KD1s. You should be able to snag a set for under $100 shipped.
Thank you. I agree.. I have a set of pilot pure waiting for the wheels to come back. 120 front and 140 for the rear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No major updates to show. I've been working on the kids dirtbikes ready to race. There are some installs I haven't shown like hd clutch, lightened primary, aracer with af1. A few days ago I installed a set of protaper cr high bars on some risers. I also changed the headlight film to a neon green yellow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
After our PM exchange I ended-up getting the exact same windscreen as you off Amazon and, oddly enough, spent 20 minutes messing with it to figure out how and where I wanted it to mount it and it's in about the same spot that yours is. I saw someone who managed to use the middle two holes to mount at the top of the 'gauge shroud' but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they did it as the windscreen is about 1/4" away from the top of the shroud.

I've got black windscreen bolts coming this week and will polish the windscreen, remount it with the black bolts and I'm going to put some small black push pins in those middle mounting holes to fill them up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After our PM exchange I ended-up getting the exact same windscreen as you off Amazon and, oddly enough, spent 20 minutes messing with it to figure out how and where I wanted it to mount it and it's in about the same spot that yours is. I saw someone who managed to use the middle two holes to mount at the top of the 'gauge shroud' but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they did it as the windscreen is about 1/4" away from the top of the shroud.

I've got black windscreen bolts coming this week and will polish the windscreen, remount it with the black bolts and I'm going to put some small black push pins in those middle mounting holes to fill them up.
That sounds like a good plan. That bracket they sent was junk so I gave up and used that windscreen hardware I was telling you about. Plugging those holes is a good idea. I'm a big fan of small touches. The z isn't getting much for small touches but the buell and s1000 have a lot of oem appearing touches.

Tiny update: cheap keyless gas cap and stealth bar pad come in today.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You mean the bracket that was about as thick a as soda can? I still have no idea how you would ever make that thing work and can only assume it was designed for the Asian-market Z125 Pro's and their different headlight/cowl.

I'm pretty OCD about the small things too and those holes really bug me so some $.20 push pins from Ace Hardware will go in them...similar to what I did with the mirror mounts since I have bar end mirrors. Nothing like staring at an open threaded hole making it look like something has fallen out. On my other bikes with the bar end mirrors, the VMAX and B-King, I bought new lever clamps that didn't have the boss for the mirror mounts but that's hard to do on the Z with it being a part of the actual lever perch, which you it seems you don't have to worry about with the one-finger clutch lever. Oh well, I think those were $.40 for the two since they're bigger but that's about as far as I'm willing to go on the Z.

I've got the eyeball nuking pink ProTaper pad on my daughter's bike and sprung for the same Driven Racing gas caps...it's no Rizoma piece but it'll do on these bikes.

Stealth pad looks good with the camo theme.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a set of pilot pure waiting for the wheels to come back. 120 front and 140 for the rear.
Sweet! Even better. I initially wanted to buy a set of Pilot Pure to compare head to head against the KD1s but couldn't find a good enough deal so I ended up buying two sets of Kendas. Dual compound is the way to go on any street bike.

Love the yellow headlight film. Fits the build better than the blue and will attract less negative attention as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. I agree on the film. Blue green setups look great on the right thing but didn't love it on this bike. Yellow should look good with the shocker yellow if I ever get powdercoat back. Ohlins parts are still on back order I believe so nothing major new. I did get the one carbon part I'm putting on this bike. It's the tank panel. Cheap ebay part again. On my s1000 and Buell everything I've done is with high quality parts but with the z my standards aren't as high so stickers and cheap parts is fine for the bike I plan to goof off with and I'm sure will have some spills.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Parts came back from powdercoat today. I couldn't get the tires on today but installed the cages.

Side note I reached out to galfer about getting a matching sticker for the other side of the bike. They not only responded but specifically said to make sure to send them pics when the bike is complete. They sent out many stickers along with a hand written note encouraging me to keep in contact with future needs and progress with the bike. I will definitely be adding their products to my s1000rr. The customer service they showed was above and beyond what I expected. I wanted to share that for anyone considering galfer products.
I also contacted ohlins and we are waiting on the rear shock to come in and it is projected to be here at the end of the month.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What cages are on the side of the bike I really like those and they look like much better protection than others I've seen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts