Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have issues with their fuel gauge? It is blinking empty even though I just put in gas.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
It has a open or short connection. A special Kawasaki in-line adaptor is required to check the fuel pump operating voltage so Just check/wiggle/insert the connector under the tank and if that doesn't find anything probably have to remove fuel pump and check connectors. Only 6 bolts with a O-Ring to seal it

Dress Gas Wire Human leg Wood

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the plugs, disconnected and reconnected the ones from the fuel pump, pulled the tank, and the fuel pump looks fine. If I replace the fuel pump, would it fix this pesky fuel gauge short/open error?

I bought this bike used. He crashed the front end. Headlight was out. Turn signals disconnected. I thought maybe if I connected a new headlight and turnsignals, it might fix the problem. But it didn't. That fuel gauge error is a Kawasaki diagnostic flashing for a fuel-gauge-specific short right? lesigh

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
. If I replace the fuel pump, would it fix this pesky fuel gauge short/open error?

I bought this bike used. He crashed the front end. Headlight was out. Turn signals disconnected. I thought maybe if I connected a new headlight and turnsignals, it might fix the problem. But it didn't. That fuel gauge error is a Kawasaki diagnostic flashing for a fuel-gauge-specific short right? lesigh
The flashing is for a short or open wire...

Crashed front end ? Think it might be a wire going to or at the meter unit now instead of the fuel pump or wire in the pump. so i wouldn't by a new one until all other options are checked out.

Follow the # 11 white wire with black stripe out of the meter unit looking for pinch, cut, or touching another wire or grounded as far back to the fuel pump as possible

Problem Could also be in the meter unit as well

Font Parallel Rectangle Line art Motor vehicle

Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Slope

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude. You are so awesome. Thank you so much for putting up not only your diagrams but your wisdom. I will try to follow the wire. ... But if it's the entire meter unit, it makes me so sad.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Sorry, just started at the top again and its reading empty and blinking ..... Not all bars blinking ?

Which one of these is it doing. Bottom one then That sounds more like a bad sending unit

Automotive tire Camera accessory Font Cameras & optics Rim

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the wires seem to be intact at the connection to the meter unit. none of them seem crimped there. And without dissecting the big tube that holds all the wires together, they seem intact at the ecu and fuse box area.

sorry - It flashes one empty bar and then all bars blink. Here's a video.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
So top one then.
My GUESS is its the fuel pump because it is blinking like its supposed to, And especial if the wires and unit itself don't look like they took a impact
You could just remove the 2 wires from the sending unit float and should stop the blinking (got to be annoying)
Then set your trip meter to 000 every time you fill up and go by that for when its time for gas
(that's how I've always done it on my duel sport carb'ed bikes with no fuel gage)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't it the bottom one because all fuel bars eventually flash - like in the video? One empty bar for like 2 seconds, then all bars flashing.

Could this be related to a potential ECU recall? Kinda disappointed in Kawasaki's build-quality that there is so much detective work required to solve this nearly new motorcycle gas-gauge-flashing problem. It's already shameful, quality-control-wise that so many bikes are recalled. If it weren't for your knowledgeable ideas, I would be even more in the dark.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Based on all the clues, it looks like the possibilities are:
-bad meter unit
-bad fuel pump or bad fuel-level-sender-attached to the fuel pump
-bad wiring - something touching a group or rubbing where it shouldn't

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Actually never ran it down to the blinking low level yet, but the way I read it when all flash there's a real issue with something, so dont think they would incorporate the all flashing into the low level sequence ?

Just unplugged my fuel pump and all bars flashed, So still a guess but thinking it is the fuel pump

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yaaa...when I inspected it, it looked in tact. And the fuel pump seems to be functioning otherwise.

Thanks for going through the trouble of disconnecting the fuel pump to help me find the clues.

Still a mystery to me....how much would you guess a Kawasaki stealership charge to diagnose this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
EDIT: I am stupid. I flipped the switch on and heard the fuel pump priming. Obviously, my fuel pump needs to be functioning for my bike to run, right? lesigh

You know what I just realized? In my video, I don't hear the fuel pump whining? You're probably 100% correct. Ok, super noob mechanical question: would the bike still be able to run with a bad fuel pump? I can start the bike and ride it for multiple miles - without any noticeable issues.

Here I heard the whine. On my z125, I do not hear the whine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry another dumb qn: what is my DFI fuse? Is it in the fuse box? Previous owner disconnected headlight, and the daytime running light wires kept touching each other, causing the tail-light fuse to keep shorting. I've replaced that fuse - and all the fuses - just in case. Is the DFI fuse just one of the fuses in the box?
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
EDIT: I am stupid. I flipped the switch on and heard the fuel pump priming. Obviously, my fuel pump needs to be functioning for my bike to run, right? lesigh
When someone just asks one specific question i always assume thats the only issue there having (my bad) and that the bike is starting with all other systems good and running fine and you just have the blinking fuel gage issue, Right ?

Fuel pump required to run
DFI system is on the Ignition fuse

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When someone just asks one specific question i always assume thats the only issue there having (my bad) and that the bike is starting with all other systems good and running fine and you just have the blinking fuel gage issue, Right ?

Fuel pump required to run
DFI system is on the Ignition fuse
Yes sir. Only blinking fuel gauge, but the bike seems to be functioning normally otherwise.

Ah, thank you. Was kind of hoping there was a second fuse box or something that might have been an easy fix to replace. But it looks like it's got to be some electrical component of the fuel pump or fuel sending unit - where the fuel pump functions but the fuel level malfunctions. Thanks for all your help. I will report back if I ever fix it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts