Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Interesting!

I like the looks, with the exception the enormous muffler, I've gotten used to the stealth underbody can.

They left weight out of the potential specs. If they actually deliver 11kW/14.75HP the weight gain from liquid cooling will quickly be forgotten.

Roughly doubling power is a cool trick, but I fear what that R&D cost is going to do to the MSRP. This will be interesting to watch for certain. 10/02 coming up quick!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me. When I went in for my ECU recall, the dealer had a pile of Z125s sitting on the floor. Seems like the Grom fad has died off.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
There were 6 on the floor at my dealership last week.
If gas goes to 5.00 a gal , they will sell like hotcakes.
And 5.00 a gal isn't far away where i live ! (Middle of no where, 60mi's to nearest city)
Pic is from my last fill up .

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Brutal! I just paid $3.20 for 91 non-oxy and grumbled to myself that it was too high. =P

I was sorta thinking along the same lines. In most other markets the 125 class bikes are purchased as fuel sipping commuters. Over here in the land of the large they are purchased as toys.

So, maybe the market for toys is tapped out, but as Kaw'ee points out, eventually word will get out that these things are essentially a loophole in rising gas prices (as long as you live somewhere with nice weather).

So I'm thinking that the transition from Toy-->Tool will also be the death of 12" wheels.

·
Registered
982 Posts
In many world markets, you are power limited and must graduate up through the classes. I think 14 horsepower is the new starter level for many places in the UK and Europe. And so many people want a sportbike even if it has no-go power levels.

If I can ever get the seat built, mine will look a lot like that euro version, just with small tires.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If I can ever get the seat built, mine will look a lot like that euro version, just with small tires.

Two piece seat? Please tell...

If gas goes to 5.00 a gal , they will sell like hotcakes.

I have never bought the MPG argument... But lets do the math.
List price on a Z125: $3k
Gas price: $5
MPG: 85

@$5.00/gallon, it costs $0.059/mile to ride the Z125

If my slushbox gets 20 MPG ($0.25/mile) I have to put 15,692.3 miles on the Z125 to break even.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have never bought the MPG argument...
Yeah, I did the math on my TDI and wasn't pleased with the results. Essentially a $6,000 premium over the 2.5L in the std mkVI Golf and during the time I drove it, diesel was consistently more expensive than gas. But it was a heckuva lot more fun to drive.

In fairness your math assumes you have a functional car already but not a Z125. Apples to apples a prospective buyer would theoretically have no vehicle. But if they were that hard up and looking for a cheap efficient vehicle there are a lot better choices than a Z anyway.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If I didn't live in a frozen tundra, I wouldn't have a car. What I'm trying to illustrate is that a few MPG is really pointless.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
I have to put 15,692.3 miles on the Z125 to break even.
Thats great !
15.692mi = if your round trip drive to work and a few errands is 60.3 miles a day / 1st year is a wash
So if i keep it for 5 years I'll save $ 12,153 in gas or 253.18 a month or 58.43 a week
Even if only use it 6 months a year thats still 6,076 / 126.59 / 29.21
Car maintenance and lic & insurance and just plain up-keep are typical more expensive
What if your buying one for fun anyways / Ca-ching !
What if I'm all wrong ?
What is a slushbox ?
What if i just shut up now !

·
Registered
982 Posts
This will piss a bunch of people off, but here goes.

If you have a 60+ mile round trip each day and you do it on a Z125, you're either an idiot or live in an extremely densely packed city and do that commute at 30mph or maybe up to 45mph. A cheap used Ninja 250 would fit the requirement far better, and cost less because it is used.

·
Registered
875 Posts
^^ This. The Z is a blast to ride, but it's a toy. If you have a long commute or have to ride on roads with a posted speed limit faster than 50, the Z probably isn't a good fit.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not if you are running them on the highway at full throttle for hours on end. But I could be wrong. Otherwise, if riding up to about 45mph with varying throttle, yes probably a lot longer than that. But we tend to torture these little machines so I expect few of us will see much over that before a top end rebuild is needed.

·
Registered
933 Posts
...I expect few of us will see much over that before a top end rebuild is needed.
Normally I would be horrified, but these engines are so simple I'm actually weirdly looking forward to tearing it apart.

If you have a 60+ mile round trip each day and you do it on a Z125, you're an idiot.
(I may have doctored that quote a bit.) Totally agreed. Even at half that with a 33 mile commute it takes me twice as long to get to work/home because I'm pushed off the freeway. Maybe I could justify it if I were riding some cool twisty roads but I'm risking getting run over by an inattentive driver to ride on crappy industrial frontage roads and spend twice as much of my life commuting... Forget that noise.

I agree that in most vehicles fuel economy is a nice bonus, but a terrible reason to buy the vehicle. The Z is a toy, but it's a very cheap toy to run/maintain, so, that's cool.

What is a slushbox ?
AFAIK Slushbox = An inefficient and/or poorly shifting automatic transmission. I believe this is a direct reference to torque converters but not certain.

What if i just shut up now !
Never! Keep the forum weird!

·
Registered
875 Posts
AFAIK Slushbox = An inefficient and/or poorly shifting automatic transmission. I believe this is a direct reference to torque converters but not certain.

That sounds about right. I refer to my car/truck/suv as a slushbox as the forum will sensor the term shitbox.

edit: Guess the forum software isn't that smart... carry on...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts