Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my z125 about a week ago doing a wheelie. I was going less than 10mph and it didn't really hit the ground that hard. It was fine for a little bit, but then I noticed a weird noise that I don't really know how to describe, but it sounded like it was coming from the airbox area. The noise only happened around 3-5k rpm. While I was riding home, the battery light came on and when I got home and turned the bike off, the headlight would not turn off right away. It went off on its own about 2mins later. Then it wouldn't start at all. I checked the battery connections and fuses and they were fine. I have replaced the battery now and that doesn't seem to be the issue. I think its definitely something with the charging system. With the new battery, I can get the bike to start but the battery light comes on pretty quickly. After I take the key out the headlight stays on until I pull the fuse for the regulator. Is there anything I can check on the regulator or should I just replace it. Also I kinda got a video of the noise, but it's a little hard to hear. You can sort of hear it when the revs are dropping. It's a lot easier to hear in person. Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
So far the only way the headlight can be on without the key on is a bad stator, And a very common issue, especially between 6000-8000 miles. or yours might have come loose due to your noise issue.

Check for stator shorted to ground using pic or / Service Manual page 426

ALTERNATOR CONNECTOR - Copy.JPG

STATOR Kyle G Nosnibor.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far the only way the headlight can be on without the key on is a bad stator, And a very common issue, especially between 6000-8000 miles. or yours might have come loose due to your noise issue.

Check for stator shorted to ground using pic or / Service Manual page 426

View attachment 26031

View attachment 26032
My bike does have like 6500 miles on it so I'll do the tests for the stator later when I get home from work, but in the meantime, if it is the stator should I bother buying the OEM stator again or should I go with the high output chimera stator. It feels like a waste of money to go OEM if its only gonna last 6000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
I've seen a few go with the new Chimera but until someone posts somewhere they been using for 6000-8000 miles plus no way to know if there any better yet. :unsure:

·
Registered
295 Posts
It seems that some people have gotten 20k miles on their bike before the issue has come up. Looking on bikebandit I see the part is 205 for OEM. 200 for the chimera. 170 for OEM (including shipping) if you buy from webike Japan.

I would personally go with the OEM at this point as we don't know what the durability of the chimera is unless you are running after market headlights or anything extra that would draw more power. Webike has been pretty solid so I trust them.

But first check to see if you just knocked it a bit loose as Kawi stated before spending the extra money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts