Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been lurking a lot since my friends started buying and losing their z125s but this is my first post. I've been working on motorcycles for some time and for some reason I'm having trouble with this one.
My buddy bought a 2019 model and got a little crazy buying mods. He ended up buying the 143 kit from TB and the stroker crank. As I'm familiar with bigger engines and felt this was within my scope I told him I'd put it all on. Went through the whole process and everything seemed to go together quite easily. But last night when I finally put it all back on the bike it was having an extremely hard time turning over. Compression stroke seems to be too high and so it will not start. I've checked my timing and everything lines up but doesn't seem to be able to turn over fast enough to start.
I feel like maybe I'm just overlooking something or missing a clue as to what's up. I don't see anyone who's posted anything about having done both mods together and what their experience was or any similar issues to mine but did see a couple guys with the bigger piston and possibly a decompression setup. Is this necessary for even this one?

What the hell am I missing!?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have you tried turning the engine over by hand?
If it was me I would pull the spark plug and slowly wind the
engine by hand to see if there is any resistance.
Maybe the battery is stuffed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I literally just made an account for this exact reason. I am having the same exact issue. I installed the 143 bbk, v2 head, mnnthbx intake, bazzaz. I can get it to start for just a second and it dies out. compression is there, timing is spot on, valve set to near perfect (checked this three times). I go to turn it on and then it cranks fires for just a second and dies out. Thought either A. Fuel or B. Bazzaz unit I installed goofy. Hooked back up all stock harness stuff and still the same thing. You are not alone. I have been turning wrenches on bikes for a good time now. I am at a loss as well. As for doing it by hand there is gonna be resistance at least you would hope on the compression stage of the turn.

This is what mines is doing Link to start issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm happy to say I figured out the issue on this one. It was the cam tensioner, it must have popped out early while I was putting it in and I just didn't notice. It was causing to much prior resistance which meant the then additional resistance the compression gives made it too much to actually turn over.
Once I redid the tensioner I could feel an enormous difference and pretty much knew I probably found it.
I literally just made an account for this exact reason. I am having the same exact issue. I installed the 143 bbk, v2 head, mnnthbx intake, bazzaz. I can get it to start for just a second and it dies out. compression is there, timing is spot on, valve set to near perfect (checked this three times). I go to turn it on and then it cranks fires for just a second and dies out. Thought either A. Fuel or B. Bazzaz unit I installed goofy. Hooked back up all stock harness stuff and still the same thing. You are not alone. I have been turning wrenches on bikes for a good time now. I am at a loss as well. As for doing it by hand there is gonna be resistance at least you would hope on the compression stage of the turn.

This is what mines is doing Link to start issue
I watched your video klicklac, that is definitely weird but I would have said it's almost definitely the bazzaz map until you said you took it off. Sooooim trying to think what might be causing such a strange issue on yours. Have you tried opening the throttle like a 1/3 to 1/2 to see if it stays on longer? I know it's dumb but what if the idle screw on yours was set just barely too low at stock? I'm going to keep thinking and try to suggest anything else I can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I figured mine out, I didnt install the engine temp senor (brass/gold piece on stock head). Once I installed that to the bbk it fired right up just got back from riding it around for 2 hours the bike should come stock like the bbk offers. I havent slept since I posted that video so I am gonna take a well deserved nap/sleep :sleep:

Edit: I installed mine in place of valve cover bolt so no need for the extension I could care less about check engine light being on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts