Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 6 dollar baffle from china (5 weeks) but ended up not using it . so it turned out to be a 10 cent muffler mod ! ... $ Hacksaw blade usage plus some rat tail file wear and paint .
If i didn't need a after market pipe for ground clearance issues i would be quite happy with this mod.
With the stock muffler the exhaust gos into the back chamber #1 and through a cross-tube into chamber #2 then thru another cross-tube into chamber #3 then out the final tube.

so I removed the final tube from chamber #1 and inserted the 1" baffle .so now the exhaust is coming out of chamber #1 for the most part and doesn't have to go through #2 and #3 , but chambers #2 and #3 are still open with the cross-tubes which could also account for the deep tone it puts out now.
the final tube is not welded at the mid baffle plates , which was a leap of faith i took from the video and sketch i found on you tube (below). It pulled out with a little persuasion , do not let it go back inside or you gonna have one heck of a rattle , pre-load a sharp end set of channel lock pliers in the pipe towards the tire, and tap it out with a hammer .it is snug , but it only took me 5 or 6 hits !
The new sound has about a 20 pre-cent loader sound and a great little deep tone to it.
so great for those just wanting to hide the sewing machine sound .and add a little Va-Room
But i also tried it without the baffle with just the 1" hole wide open and no baffle at all, (pic 6 ) and it has about a 40 percent loader sound and a deep tone to it . so going with that set-up myself
Guess you try even a bigger hole if you looking for 100 per-cent loader pipe like the after market ones , but that may or may not work ?
Most of all : It is not a cheesy, lawnmower, want-a-be real pipe sound at all.

Both ways it is a good deep tone just like a 400 dollar pipe / for 10 cents :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sound video ... this is without the 1" baffel ( pic 6 )
https://flic.kr/p/Fjyzhp
And maybe its more like 50 to 60 percent louder than stock :confused:
Vs a aftermarket pipe being 100 percent .
Also no engine light .and it is still probably a legal pipe because its still going through the cat's ..and has DOT stamped on the pipe (Ca. law)
A totally free mod that sounds like a 400 dollar pipe . or close enough :D

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sound check with the 1" baffel in ( pic 7 & 8 )
I couldn't get this one to load on flicker , looks like i have to log out after downloading . but it showing up now ?
https://flic.kr/p/22dKwRu
Same slightly less deep tone but you here more of the stock engine sound coming through at idle .

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you just cut the stock tip off and remove the baffle that is there? Seems like something I will have to do before I get a real exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its just a straight tube , not a baffle . but Ya '
You'll love it :grin2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
anyone try this with a airbox removal using a straight pipe to filter like K&N or whatever brand you prefer. do you need a fuel controller like powercommander or bazazz? im going to do airbox delete very soon and dont know if i want to spend a couple hundred more just for the sound.

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to weld the baffle in at first just so it looked clean and stock , but i need a aftermarket pipe for ground clearance issues . so just running it as is
I also had a 1 1/2" sleeve ready in case the 1" baffle wasn't the sound I wanted , It would probably sound even a little better and louder if some was to try that .:confused:
but the 1" is plenty loud enough for me ...
1 1/2" ID X 1 1/2" OD muffler sleeve from pep boys auto center
and it would weld in nice and look factory .

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kaw'ee Great Job! You think about rewelding the exhaust tip back on?
I ended up doing it this last weekend, the sound is just a bit louder than stock and nowhere near obnoxious. I welded the tip back on and it looks 99.9% factory. The hardest part is grinding the factory welds off cleanly so you are able to reuse the parts again.

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well , had to go check out what that sounded like .
It lost half of noise and 3/4 of the Growl when i held the stock 3/4 diameter tip back in place
And with the 3/4 tube i took out held in place it almost sounded just like the stock tip above held in place but even a little less.
My 1" baffle i lost 20 per cent of the Growl with the 1" open
And it even loses a little Growl just holding the 1 1/2 tip on the end over the 1" hole.
Looks like any tube extension tip will lose some Growl.

And just leaving the flush 1" hole is the best sound i'm hearing ..

Which was just dumb luck :confused:
Click on pic' wait till it loads (flicker)

100_3001 by jeff nichols, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kaw'ee Great Job! You think about rewelding the exhaust tip back on?
I Wasn't going to. but you could just cut the 3/4 "section off and pull the 3/4 straight pipe out and leave the outer tip in place so it still looks like stock

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Learning the above lesson , I looked for the pipe i was going with , a hindle evo for a sound check comparison , with and without baffle ;
again any baffle seems to ruin the deep growl (sub-woofer) effect.
I don't want the obnoxious loud pipe (with-out baffle),
So looks like I'm keeping the stock pipe on . even though its kinda ugly :frown2:

Hindle evo Sound check video.

https://youtu.be/DTSSXpuERJg

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just went for my first real ride after I took that pipe out. It's not too loud like some of the other pipes I heard and it looks completely stock since I welded the Tip back on. For nearly Free you cannot beat it (only had to buy some high temp paint to cover the welds I made. Took me around an hour in total and all you need a grinder, welder and some hand tools to do this.

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts