Hard morning starts with new mods??? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
j r

Hard morning starts with new mods???

Bazzaz/M-Intake and exhaust installed.

Now in mornings bike is extremely hard to start. Was super late to work today, but finally got it going. Took 10 minutes of cranking, then will barely fire, and die several times. Once it is running and idling, bike runs fine. In the afternoon it starts a little better, but still needs several cranks/cycles.

Asked vendor and they said shouldn't be having the issue, and to possibly try to add fuel into the map on the Bazaaz. I've got a horrible old computer, and really don't want to have to do that.

Any ideas on possible fixes that might not require screwing with the fuel map?

Spark plug possibly not set right?

Idle adjustment , maybe needs a bit more idle to start? I ordered an adjustable idle screw yesterday.

Any help would be appreciated, want this sucker to fire right up as it should.

Thanks!
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Hi jr,

Are you using standard unleaded?
It's a very highly tuned engine to begin with, it says "95+" on the tank to worn you that in standard spec. it will run better with high octane fuel (greater than 95). If you've made modifications that increase power output even more, I would imagin the need for a higher octane gas would become essential!

Regards,
Dave.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Garage
Unfortunately, I think fuel tables will be your answer. Try adding a couple points at 0% throttle. If that doesn't work try taking away a couple points. Whichever direction shows improvement take the fuel in that direction (+ or -) until you stop seeing results.

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
j r

I've got know idea how to do that. Is it pretty simple? Hoping my old laptop will work.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Bazzaz Maps for the Z125 Pro After installing my bazzaz at first I had hard starts also. tomandtoys dot com has some maps that got me going smoother faster.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 PM

Garage
Whoa! His AFR chart is way wrong! Don't run these motors at anything close to 15.5:1... ever! When you start climbing above stoich, you start having massive problems unless the engine was designed for lean running conditions. Also stoich changes with additives (like alcohol), generally dropping as you add more non-gasoline to the mix. If you have a 20 percent alcohol (for some really high octane race fuels), your stoich is down around 13:1 which shifts best lean and rich power down as well. I think (might be remembering wrong) that ethanol (pure) has an AFR of 6:1 for stoich performance.

Somewhere I have a plotted curve of ideal AFR vs. amount of ethanol present. It was based on fond values fr the different eXX blends of gasoline with a big guess between e20 and e85. A big curve was the only thing that made sense to hit the known values. Can't remember if that made it to my website or not, kind of gave up on ethanol based fuels and went to Torco additives to get the octane up where I needed it.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Whoa! His AFR chart is way wrong! Don't run these motors at anything close to 15.5:1... ever!
Yup.

Didn't click the link until I read Greg's post and then WOW. I have no idea where that person is getting his/her information from but I strongly disagree.

Shoot for 13.0:1 and go from there.

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page