Any reviews of the Brembo caliper swap? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Greedy
  • 1 Post By Ando
  • 1 Post By Azlar49

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Any reviews of the Brembo caliper swap?

My first mod is definitely going to be brakes.

-Has anyone tried just HH pads with the stock caliper?

-HH pads with braided line and stock caliper?

-Brembo caliper and pads with stock MC and braided line?

I don't have any problems with the lever feel, just how hard I've got to squeeze to get it to bite hard. TIA
Old 07-14-2019, 06:06 PM

I have the Brembo caliper and braided line from Core Moto, works well, very happy. I also was not keen on the feel at the lever with the OE caliper/pad combo.

Phil
2017 Z125 Pro KRT
2018 Z900RS
Old 07-14-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Gascan View Post
My first mod is definitely going to be brakes.

-Has anyone tried just HH pads with the stock caliper?

-HH pads with braided line and stock caliper?

-Brembo caliper and pads with stock MC and braided line?

I don't have any problems with the lever feel, just how hard I've got to squeeze to get it to bite hard. TIA
My front brake is a Brembo caliber with Brembo sintered pads, a Galfer disc, and a Core Moto braided line. I never use more than one finger on the lever (also non-stock) and it is all the stopping power I need in a non-racing machine.

Rear set-up is the stock caliber with Galfer sintered pads, a Galfer disc, and a Core Moto braided line.

HUGE improvement over stock, especially with upgraded tires...

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F544A608-3085-46AE-82EF-92E3DBD62458.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	23613  

Old 07-15-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I have the Brembo caliper and braided line from Core Moto, works well, very happy. I also was not keen on the feel at the lever with the OE caliper/pad combo.

When we rode each others bikes with only one upgraded the first words we said on stopping was "Your brakes are GREAT/****" in unison
Phil likes this.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Garage
I am running Galfer Steel lines, Rotors, and Brakes and don't feel the the need to upgrade the caliper as the stopping power is immensely improved and I am racing mine. I barely squeeze and it provides so much more braking power over the stock setup.

I am not sure if upgrading to the Brembo would be that much more beneficial but I could be wrong. I saw this as I don't fully squeeze now with the current setup. maybe someone who has done the line and rotor upgrade first and rode around then added the Brembo Caliper can chime in.

Ride Safe
Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar49 View Post
I am running Galfer Steel lines, Rotors, and Brakes and don't feel the the need to upgrade the caliper as the stopping power is immensely improved and I am racing mine. I barely squeeze and it provides so much more braking power over the stock setup.

I am not sure if upgrading to the Brembo would be that much more beneficial but I could be wrong. I saw this as I don't fully squeeze now with the current setup. maybe someone who has done the line and rotor upgrade first and rode around then added the Brembo Caliper can chime in.
I ran the Brembo P32 caliper & G-Craft bracket last season before sintered pads were available for the stock caliper. The original Brembo pads were not very impressive but after another $50 for Ferodo sintered pads it was a huge improvement over stock. After spending almost $300 for everything it should stop better!

However, this season I have more power and I'm again searching for a stronger front brake. I'm now testing a caliper & master cylinder from a 450 dirt bike. I'm still sorting it out but it's more aggressive than the 2 piston Brembo and lighter than the 4 piston Brembo. Not recommended for the street.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:06 PM

Better brakes are certainly appreciated in this part of the country with these things running around. At least these 2 were clearly visible in an open field. It’s a lot worse when they dart out from the woods. One finger on the front brake lever at all times is good practice on these roads...

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0F99FE6A-B529-4A4E-8337-96A22448B958.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	23631  
Old 07-17-2019, 12:53 PM

Garage
Following that useful tangent:

On occasion while riding alone in the country at night I'll give myself a challenge. Stop at every oversized mailbox, or every odd numbered mailbox.

Good test for panic braking and awareness and more than once I've missed my target which is a good wake-up call that I'm overriding my headlight. Deer are rarely as obvious as a mailbox so if you can't stop in time for a mailbox you should reconsider dusk/night riding.
jwiseman likes this.

Dropped a gear... ...still here
Old 07-17-2019, 01:43 PM

Garage
My friends and I were driving out on some logging roads in a jeep and we spotted a deer to the left and suddenly one jumped out from a bush on the right. Had to break quite hard and thankfully stopped in time. That deer took its sweet time crossing and eyeing us down. Arrogant mo****trucker lol
jwiseman likes this.

Ride Safe