Ready to Buy - Switching from Grom - 125 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Ready to Buy - Switching from Grom - 125

Hello,

I am a long time Grom follower and I had one back in 2014 when the hype was insane. I ended up selling it after a year of riding it and here I am now 4 years later, ready to purchase my next 125cc bike just to commute for work.

Its been a long time coming and I know many years have passed so the aftermarket availability for the z125 has become as easily accessible as the Grom. Is this actually the case? I don't "plan" on doing too much to the bike, but everyone knows how that goes... Any major Pros/cons that you guys might be able to share would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you've made the switch from a grom to a z125.

Also, I am worried about theft, do most of you guys just get full coverage and not care if the bike gets stolen since insurance will replace the bike?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:22 PM

Garage
Hey Mike, welcome!

Aftermarket for the Z is plenty healthy, but not Grom sized. I don't think you will have any issues finding what you need to empty your wallet and turn the bike into whatever you want at this point.

I would have a hard time running full coverage on a minibike, but I also live somewhere with winter so I don't get a full riding season out of my insurance as it is. I think you would be better served making the bike a harder target or adding an anti-theft system. Tough question, thieves are the worst.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the quick response!

I live out in California so our winters are not really winters.

Question about reliability. I know HONDA's reliability is unquestioned. I want this bike to last me years on end, I plan to keep it for as long as I can.

Never ridden/owned a Kawasaki so just curious on its reliability compared to Honda if you have any input there that would be great.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:17 PM

Other than needing to tighten and loc-tite the motor mounts, I haven't heard of many real issues with the bike. Check/change the oil often and you will be fine.

Unlike Ando, I have full coverage on my mini bike. I think it was an extra $15 for the year for full coverage... But I'm more worried about idiots stopping for geese on the side of the road mid corner than I am about theft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:50 PM

Remember, Comprehensive covers theft. You could just get that and skip collision and save a lot of money. Collision is where all your insurance dollars go, and body panels are cheap on this thing if you drop it.

Aside from being down about .4 hp, the Z is a vastly better bike with better OEM suspension and better lean angle. But it feels faster because it's got a top end that doesn't taper off like the Grom.
[email protected] likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Garage
RE: Reliability

Kawi puts a cheap, non-oring chain on these bikes that tends to bug people that don't like doing minor maintenance. It'll stretch a ton during break-in and then be totally fine.

Really the only complaints I've heard are from one guy that takes it on road-trips.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Man, really appreciate the feedback and quick responses.

Much appreciated!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:39 PM

Im 230lb and have never bottomed the suspension. I have never ridden a Grom but have read the forks bottom easily. Pricing is also better. Paid $2700 for a new 2018 in March of 2019. See if you can find a leftover.

Last edited by 2veedubs; 12-16-2019 at 10:42 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 09:56 AM

There was a thread about proper insurance coverage a while back. It was mentioned about having a gps tracker located on the bike in a hidden location. The thought was the cost of the tracker would be less than yearly insurance premiums. It never got expanded on though.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbswope View Post
The thought was the cost of the tracker would be less than yearly insurance premiums. It never got expanded on though.

I think the monthly cost of a GPS tracker is going to be ~$5-$10 a month on top of the initial cost of the GPS tracker. If the thief yanks the dongle out of the bike, you are SOL anyways. There isn't much to a mini bike. It's going to be tough to hide. Plus, it needs to be low enough current draw so you battery isn't dead in a couple hours.
tbswope likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page