10 cent Muffler Mod - Page 5 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw'ee View Post
Even only being half as loud as all the aftermarket exhaust, There's still times when the stock volume would be nice again
Agreed, I like the stealth level of the stock Z. Ride around your neighborhood and your neighbors are more likely to smile and wave than scowl and cover their ears. Same reason I'm removing the lightened primary gear. Just too grating of a sound to be sharing with suburbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw'ee View Post
I really liked your removable cap-off plug idea you had and leave the stock end alone.
Yarr, that's still the tentative plan. I've actually been staring at the awesome sketch you posted above and wondering if I can accurately find each of the three chambers. Think about the fine tuning! Just need to find some plugs... or suck it up and buy a 25 pack.

In retrospect, placing a hole in chamber 3 would just sound like stock. >.< I guess I can skip it. That makes my drilling easier as that would be the hardest area to hit.

Dropped a gear... ...still here

Last edited by Ando; 06-19-2019 at 10:06 AM.
post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I can test drill any location your thinking about in mine (its Swiss cheese already ) and post some pics and dimensions for ya... Just let me know where and what size dia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaw'ee
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
These should help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0908.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	23401   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0795.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	23403   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0794.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	23405   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1114.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	23407   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1117.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	23409  

Name:	100_1127.JPG
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	23411  

Kaw'ee

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:18 PM

To those that did the initial 10c mod and kept the silver exhaust piece, I'm curious how you did that or if there are any pictures... I have a Zoom bruit exhaust yet to be installed, but after seeing how my Zoom loop held up in my crash (both mounting points broke, even tho the pipe never hit the ground), I don't have high hopes for longevity...

[This space for rent]
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Garage
Sweet, thanks for the offer! For chamber #1 my ideal location is the direct back of the can. tbswope mentioned that location but didn't want to vent exhaust directly onto the rear wheel.

The only thing I could see going wrong with that is condensation from the exhaust spraying out on the tire mid corner and causing a lowside, what's the collective hivemind think?

Also sorry Mr Pirate man, I revisited the thread and realized we already discussed your bike... Guess I'm losing my memory extra early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
To those that did the initial 10c mod and kept the silver exhaust piece, I'm curious how you did that or if there are any pictures...
I think the only one that removed the passthrough and re-welded the beauty plate was @mx5klein . Might be more that haven't posted.

Dropped a gear... ...still here

Last edited by Ando; 06-19-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:40 PM

Mine vents to rear tire. I was concerned about heat, but it is a non issue. Condensation will only happen initially at startup, as hot gas passes through the cold muffler. The muffler warms up pretty quick though. Even at startup, as the bike is warming up, and I blip the throttle, I have never seen water spraying out the back. Maybe during winter riding until warmed up? I can hold my bare hand at the back between the exhaust tip and the wheel with no problem at all (heat). The stream cools pretty quickly. The tires get warmer from friction against the road than from the exhaust.

You could tack the beauty plate on no problem after the mod (leave out the new exhaust tip).

I cut the tab that holds it on with a cut off wheel before starting to create enough room to work. I actually thought about putting it back on but decided not to. I think it is still on my workbench actually.

The 10 cent mod is really not too loud I promise you will like it.

EDIT- Kaw'ee pics above, from left to right, #4 is where I cut my hole. About 2/3 of stream at rear tire
Ando likes this.
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Sweet, thanks for the offer! For chamber #1 my ideal location is the direct back of the can.

That looks like the best place for sure for those that want to keep the original tip especially after MrEvilpirate has actually tested the heat signature down there !

I think your block off plug idea is gold' hope to see happen
I would start a new thread for that one so it doesn't get lost in this one

For the others that are sure theres no reason to ever want to block it off I would put the hole as low as possible for a water drain. (Probably not good idea if your going to go with the Ando 25cent mod) I did get dirt and pebbles in mine when i ran it. So lower would have been better to blow it all out !

Great mod for those that dont have many tools or place to do the work.
A drill... and a file if you want the hole to look nice and round

Just plain open hole sounds best but looks incomplete, Any type of added tip starts to make the tinny sound again.

"THIS IS STILL A EDUCATED GUESS RIGHT NOW SO DO AT OWN RISK"

And please leave a post if you try it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3769.JPG
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	23413   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3771.JPG
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	23415   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3773.JPG
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	23417   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIDDLE HOLE 1.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	23419   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIDDLE HOLE 2.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	23421  

Name:	MIDDLE HOLE 3.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	23423  
Ando likes this.

Kaw'ee

post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:32 PM

I used a hole saw and went as close to center as I could without removing exhaust. Was restricted by room between tire and exhaust but I feel like I'm in a good location.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	z125exhaust.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	23477  
Kaw'ee likes this.
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Right on ... Got any way to post a sound clip ?

Kaw'ee

post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:19 PM

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...R3hPNzdB&pli=1

So I tried sharing 2 videos on google with myself and am hoping if you have a gmail account you can log in and listen to before and after. My opinion is that if this is only half as loud as an aftermarket pipe, I am really glad I didn't get a pipe cause this is loud. I only have two neighbors to go past to get out of my neighborhood and just idle by them so it's not a huge deal. Over all I am happy that I did it though and thanks Kaw'ee for getting all the info out there so I could be informed on what I was doing.
crakerjac, Kaw'ee and Ando like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page