Mitas MC35 vs Kenda KD1 Kwik? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Mitas MC35 vs Kenda KD1 Kwik?

Was wondering what people recommend here between the 2 tires for the track.

The local guys swear by the Mitas as they can last a whole season for them and get used in the rain.

How are the Kenda's in the rain? How long will they last? If I get half the life I'll be happy as they are a bit over the third of the price.

I know the Dunlops are also the other option and slicks from PMT but I think cost wise and compound wise I like the idea of the Mitas and Kendas but I haven't used either yet.

Thanks

Ride Safe
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:54 AM

Garage
I just putter around on the streets but I've been overwhelmingly impressed with the KD1, especially for a sub $100 set.

The tread doesn't strike me as being wonderful at water evacuation, but I haven't ridden in the rain with them so I can't really comment.

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:53 PM

Garage
I bet they make a specific rain set in the near future, they seem to be attacking the sport/racing market. In the EU you can get Dunlop racing rains in our sizes, I forget the number but they are the matches to the TT93. I sent an email to them last year about getting them in the USA and never had a reply from them. Didn't feel guilty going with the Kenda after that. Kenda has become big in the bicycle world, not some cheapo junk but premium tires and tubes. I see them going after the motorcycle arena as well.

Mitas soft was recommended to me, or the super soft. Seems there softness gauge is a little different from other companies. Also there are several models and hard to determine wich ones you want. But the Mitas price was similar to TT93 which made the choice simple when I put tires on the KAYO. Teams were getting half a season out of the TT93 (or more) and saying sticky as anything else (save maybe PMT slicks). The TT93 saved me several times on the track the last few times I was there, way more grip than I know how to handle. Hoping the KD1 are just as good which is what people are saying. Both tires ran up to $72 shipped for stock sizes.
Azlar49 likes this.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Greg_E; 06-25-2019 at 01:58 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I bet they make a specific rain set in the near future, they seem to be attacking the sport/racing market. In the EU you can get Dunlop racing rains in our sizes, I forget the number but they are the matches to the TT93. I sent an email to them last year about getting them in the USA and never had a reply from them. Didn't feel guilty going with the Kenda after that. Kenda has become big in the bicycle world, not some cheapo junk but premium tires and tubes. I see them going after the motorcycle arena as well.

Mitas soft was recommended to me, or the super soft. Seems there softness gauge is a little different from other companies. Also there are several models and hard to determine wich ones you want. But the Mitas price was similar to TT93 which made the choice simple when I put tires on the KAYO. Teams were getting half a season out of the TT93 (or more) and saying sticky as anything else (save maybe PMT slicks). The TT93 saved me several times on the track the last few times I was there, way more grip than I know how to handle. Hoping the KD1 are just as good which is what people are saying. Both tires ran up to $72 shipped for stock sizes.
Thank you for the reply Greg, it seems I will get a set of Kenda's and try that and keep my eyes for a rain set. Maybe I'll send them an email asking if they have plans for a rain race tire also.

Ride Safe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:02 PM

I rode the Kendas in the rain pretty aggressively and was very impressed with wet performance.

After 2500 miles of mostly twisty riding, however, the rear has squared off to the point where the tread pattern at the center of the tire is almost gone. Sides still look good and the front looks to be 85%. Probably not an issue for guys using these on the track as you won't rack up that kind of mileage. If you drive mostly in a straight line though you will wear them out.

Totally worth it to me though because price is great and they are very sticky. I'm sure wet performance isn't as hot now with the center tread worn down. I rode about 500 miles in the rain with them after they had about 800 miles on them and they were great.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:10 PM

Mitas > kendas for track use.
Azlar49 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So the Mitas are better than the Dunlops also?

Ride Safe
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:49 PM

Garage
Mitas does have a super soft that is probably more sticky, and they probably weight slightly less too.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
awesome that is good info. I'll try the Kendas then as a start!

Ride Safe
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
[QUOTE=Greg_E;130943]Mitas does have a super soft that is probably more sticky, and they probably weight slightly less too.[/QUOTE

To get you a good laugh I found they call the stock IRC NR77 tire a racing tire with "sticky" compound. I had to drop their PSI below 17 just to get them to flex and grip a bit. YIKES!

Ride Safe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page