Upgrading forks - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Upgrading forks

Looking at upgrading the forks on my 0 mile Z while my arm is still broken. Who has done what? Are you happy with the investment?

From what I see, I have 3 options:
  1. Ohlins fork kit
  2. Racing Bros fork kit
  3. Thicker oil/heavier springs
I am leaning towards 2 or 3. I had a Racing Bros shock on my last Z and I liked it... Ohlins would be nice, but I would like the front and rear to match... Ohlins shock is >$100 more than the Racing Bros.

Has anyone just done thicker oil and/or heavier springs? What did you go with?

Any other options I should look at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
The Ohlins fork kit is $80 less and comes with both springs (with tool to compare both of them), and the shock on Man in the Box also says it has both springs. But you are looking at almost $1000 for both ends. The Ohlins front and rear doesn't seem to be that much more when purchased as a set compared to the Racing Brothers.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

True, Ohlins isn't that much more, but from what I understand, the forks are less adjustable...

[This space for rent]

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally I ran 20wt oil at the first oil change(10wt is stock) and it was a good improvement. Firmed up the ride, less dive under braking and not as harsh as heavier springs. After more engine & brake upgrades 30 wt oil seemed even better. Recently, I got the Racing Bros fork kit since I wanted to be able to dial the front end in while at the track. I have tried a few clicker adjustments now and it is very predictable on the track. Others who have ridden the bike were impressed with the front suspension. I don't think the Ohlins kit has external adjusters?
Ando likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 PM

Correct, no external adjustment on the Ohlins, but in saying that they are REALLY good and a huge improvement over the OE forks, for street riding anyway. Track may be a different story.

Phil
2017 Z125 Pro KRT
2018 Z900RS
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:13 PM

Garage
External adjustments are worth extra money.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Great info guys! Leaning towards RacingBros, but $350 (+$150 for install) is a tough pill to swallow...

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Garage
What does the install tool look like? Is it just a clamp to grab the tubes? Just thinking that MotionPro probably has something for less.

Is there a video so we can see the tools?

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure a tool can be made for much cheaper..

[This space for rent]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:27 PM

Garage
The only special tools would be the shaft and slider clamps, doesn't look like a difficult install:

https://www.steadygarage.com/wp-cont...t-SOP_Rev1.pdf

Some V clamps would be plenty to clamp these little forks, nothing I would worry about if it was me.

My site:

Youtube channel:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page