How to Support Front of Bike - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

How to Support Front of Bike

So... anyone have a clever idea to support the bike without wheels on?

For rear I plan to rest both sides of swingarm on piece of plywood on CMU block.

For front... I have a heavy bag hanging in the garage, I have taken it down and used it's hook to hang straps to triple trees in the past for heavier bikes with no problem. But it is kinda wobbly, and I would prefer to take both wheels off at once, I have never done that and don't think I will with the front danglin' in the breeze. I need to change tires.

Like a CHUMP I don't have a stand... if I bought a HF stand will it work on front and back? I don't have the mount things that clip on to the plate in back of center stand where chain adjuster nuts are, are they required? Need to do this tonight so no time to order anything... I'll get crafty with 2x4s if I need to. Thanks guys.
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
Posted this in the stem lift thread, but FortNine did the hanging "stand" with a ladder and jack stands (flip your pegs). Pegs on jackstands are basically really crude spools, so it should be a bit more stable than 2x4's under the swingarm.

Only one of the Zs has spools right now so this is how I'm planning on doing my bike's tires.

Video Here
MrEvilpirate likes this.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:09 PM

Dirty bike lift under (stock) exhaust?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Dirty bike lift under (stock) exhaust?
This method is @Kaw'ee approved, just stay towards the rear to avoid bending the header.

To answer your other question (Will HF stand lift both ends?)
It's looking like... "No"

I'm looking at stands on HF and the Pittsburgh Spool stand actually looks pretty solid, but I'm not certain if it comes with the swingarm pads despite being pictured lifting a bike with them. If you are making the trip you should be able to poke around in the packaging to look for them. The Haul-Master stand has the flat pads to lift under the swingarm, but not the finger style attachment to lift the front fork.

General consensus is that you shouldn't use a fork-lift stand to remove the front wheel anyway, though it seems possible if you're careful.

I'm not seeing a front stand anywhere on HF's page, so if you go that route, expect it to only support the rear.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:39 PM

Suspending the front by the bars is probably fine while pulling the front tire off. If you want more stability while tires are being mounted, why not run a bar through the axle hole in the forks and prop the front up on jack stands. That will help prevent anything from happening while you are out. Just don't prop the front up without anything holding up the rear.

Without rear spools, this is how I prop up the rear of my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I'm looking at stands on HF and the Pittsburgh Spool stand actually looks pretty solid, but I'm not certain if it comes with the swingarm pads despite being pictured lifting a bike with them..

I have the Pittsburgh Spool stand and it works great on the Z with spools but does NOT come with swing arm pads.
MrEvilpirate likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]

Last edited by crakerjac; 05-29-2019 at 01:41 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen, thanks for all the advice!!

It is my luck I will crunch the header if I use the exhaust as a jack point. I'm going to go with the CMU/plywood in back (very similar to Crackerjac's setup) and take Ando's Fortnine ladder tip for the front.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:42 PM

Garage
As mentioned in the other thread... I have a fork stand from My KAYO and have removed the front wheel using it, but it is super sketchy with HIGH probability of dropping it. If you chose to do this, put the axle back in and put the nut on the end, the fork will tend to twist and slide sideways to all out of the stand.

Jack stands under the swing arm and ladder with straps is going to be my next method if I ever get time to work on the poor neglected thing. Want to get the Kenda tires on there. The bead breaker (rim scratcher) should be here soon and need to try it out.

Th HF aluminum rear stand is decent, but don't push it sideways when the bike is on it, it is not that strong in that direction. The paddles kind of suck, would be better if the stand was stronger. Might need to weld the stand together which should make it much stronger. New welder should be here tomorrow.

Tip on aluminum TIG welders... If you ever see the Hyl brand come back, be very careful. Mine is still busted, the importer is gone, and way outside of Amazon return window. Money in the trash! Bought a Primeweld TIG225x, at least this guy is based only 8 hours away and I'll go knock on the door if I get screwed again! One of the popular welding channels on Youtube still has one of these set up, if it lasts for him, should work well for me. https://primeweld.com/products/prime...-year-warranty

My Hyl review is now the top critical review on Amazon, not that you'll find any of them for sale https://www.amazon.com/HYL-TIG-200P-...ews/B072WJNTT2 If anyone in China near this manufacturer reads this, and you feel like contacting them, see if they will get it touch with me to fix this thing. They are off the shelf control boards, I just need to know which boards to buy!

And if you are in Florida, and feel like stopping by the IWE store (the scum that sold me and jerked me around on the welder), feel free to have a few choice words with the people still working in the other business in that building.

By Phone: (941) 208-4292

By Mail:

PO Box 224 Tallevast, FL 34270

For sales inquiries : [email protected]

For service inquiries: [email protected]

Can't find the building address right now, the above info is from the google cache.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
The bead breaker (rim scratcher)
Lol

Sorry to hear about your welder Greg. Hope the new one works out for you. I bought a Hobart Handler 190 mig welder about a year ago, I've used it on a dozen projects and I really love it. Kind of expensive but all metal drive gear and built to last. I have a spool gun for it and it can shoot stainless wire but I will eventually be looking into a smaller tig. Still need more practice.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:40 AM

Garage
@MrEvilpirate

You get your tires on last night?

I did 1 of 4 and I was already sick of it. I figure I can do one per night and spread out the torture... Or, hopefully I'll get better at it.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Yeah got em on. These are much easier than the bigger ones. I know what you mean. I was sweating a bit. And swearing. It does get easier once you do a few of them though. Last night the biggest hinderance was myself... garage is an absolute mess which makes it a lot harder to work. Like it is a challenge to get from one side to the other with all the crap I have in there prepping for the trip.