Looking for any recommendations on tires. - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Looking for any recommendations on tires.

I recently purchased some tires and took them to have someone replace my stock tries but I never thought to pay attention on the tries I got as long as they met the measurements:

Shinko SR428 120/70-12 Front/Rear Tire

Dunlop TT93 GP Mini Race 100/90-12 Front Tire

Once I took them in it was explained to me that tire balance would become an issue. So I ended up only getting the front tire changed.

Now im looking for recommendations on rear tires that would match with the "Dunlop TT93 GP Mini Race 100/90-12 Front Tire". I was looking at

Amazon:
MMG Tire Size 120/70-12 (P116) Motorcycle Scooter Tubeless Street Performance DOT Approved

And

J&P Cycles:
Michelin Power Pure SC 120/70-12 Front/Rear Tire

Does it matter if they're scooter tires, Im sure it does but I have no past experience with motorcycles as im a new rider.

JP Cycles is where I bought the first 2 tires but it says the Mecheline rear tire wont fit on my z125, even with the same measurements so im confused on that.
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:01 PM

The tires will have a speed rating (a letter). Google "motorcycle tire speed rating" make sure you get ones with a reasonable rating.

Why could they not be balanced? Are they chunky off road tires or something? That sounds fishy.

I mount my own and balance with a product called Dyna Beads or EZ Beads they are all the same. These dynamically balance the tires instead of statically (just tagging the rim with a weight. Dynamic balance changes the balance as tires wear. It is automatic you just dump the beads into the tire after it is on the rim and call it a day).

Make sure you get a front tire for the front and a rear tire for the rear... the tread patterns are different because the front does mostly braking and the rear mostly "going" (I would say accelerating... but... really braking is accelerating... so is turning... sorry off topic).

Guys will chime in with recommendations on specific models I have not been down this road before. Might want to look on Grom forums too for suggestions that work for them... just make sure you get the right sizes.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

The tread patterns of the tires I bought were not matching. So from what I understood,t it would not be the best idea to ride tires with different treads, not sure if it was for balance. I followed his advice and I ended up just getting the front one changed since it had the same tread as the stock tires. I plan on returning the rear tire which had tread for street/ offroad. I think I'm going to end up buying the:

Michelin Power Pure SC 120/70-12 Front/Rear Tire:

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/130...xoC-04QAvD_BwE

I was just wondering if they would fit since the website is telling me it won't. I know sites can be making mistakes.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:33 PM

Garage
Unless I'm totally reading things wrong the obvious choice here it to buy a second TT93 for the rear. They are regarded as one of the best street tires for these bikes.

It's the same tread front to rear, but they are opposite for the acceleration logic MrEvilPirate mentioned.

Dunlop 120/80-12

If you think the Power Pure SC is a better fit with your riding I suggest you rip the TT93 off the front and go with a full set of the Michelins.

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

So it doesn't have to match the stock 120/70-12? My only worry is that I buy it and having it not fit my 2017 Z125 Pro.
I checked and it says it won't fit my bike. I know websites are wrong sometimes but id like to make sure it will fit. I don't know anything about tires which is why I bought the tires recommended by the website and ended getting them with different treads.
If you recommend the one you linked Ill buy it, just need it to fit.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
Huh... Tons of car tire size calculator / visualizers online but not much for motorcycles.

Looks like it's just under 1" diameter difference between the sizes, check to see if you have more than 0.5" clearance between your stock tire and the fender? The slight oversize will make it accelerate a bit slower than stock but will reel in most of the speedo error, so that's nice.

The size I sent is also the size that @mnnthbx sells for the Z125. They know their stuff.

The website telling you it won't fit is probably only comparing to stock fitment. If you were in their shoes it would be a huge PITA to track various off label fits for thousands of bikes.

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Hard to go wrong with the Dunlop. The 120/80 rear is a little bit taller than stock and your speedo will be more accurate.
You will lose a little bit of acceleration compared to stock but the grip is EXTREMELY good. I ran those on the track before the switch to slicks. To offset the acceleration if you don’t like it you can always go 1 or 2 up in the rear. Btw, you will lose acceleration with any brand tire that is taller than stock.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeruko View Post
I recently purchased some tires and took them to have someone replace my stock tries but I never thought to pay attention on the tries I got as long as they met the measurements:

Shinko SR428 120/70-12 Front/Rear Tire

Dunlop TT93 GP Mini Race 100/90-12 Front Tire

Once I took them in it was explained to me that tire balance would become an issue. So I ended up only getting the front tire changed.

Now im looking for recommendations on rear tires that would match with the "Dunlop TT93 GP Mini Race 100/90-12 Front Tire". I was looking at

Amazon:
MMG Tire Size 120/70-12 (P116) Motorcycle Scooter Tubeless Street Performance DOT Approved

And

J&P Cycles:
Michelin Power Pure SC 120/70-12 Front/Rear Tire

Does it matter if they're scooter tires, Im sure it does but I have no past experience with motorcycles as im a new rider.

JP Cycles is where I bought the first 2 tires but it says the Mecheline rear tire wont fit on my z125, even with the same measurements so im confused on that.
I would recommend that what ever tires you decide on, get a matching set. Not sure why you would want to mix them up?

I have bought tires for my Z125 from J&P(they had the Kenda Kwicks cheaper than anyone else) so if you already have a TT93 mounted up front, why not get a matching TT93 for the rear? As others have said the size is slightly taller but it's a popular tire for this bike so there are no surprises to using it. Just about any of the 12" tires from the major tire companies will be an improvement over the stock tires.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobot View Post
I would recommend that what ever tires you decide on, get a matching set. Not sure why you would want to mix them up?

I have bought tires for my Z125 from J&P(they had the Kenda Kwicks cheaper than anyone else) so if you already have a TT93 mounted up front, why not get a matching TT93 for the rear? As others have said the size is slightly taller but it's a popular tire for this bike so there are no surprises to using it. Just about any of the 12" tires from the major tire companies will be an improvement over the stock tires.
Honestly I just googled Z125 Tires and got matched with J&P. Those two were the only ones "that would fit on my z125" so I bought them without thinking. Took them today to a motorcycle shop to have someone change them for me and the guy let me know why I shouldnt do that and highly suggested I change the rear tire I bought. Thats why I asked for suggestions cause I dont know what im doing and I couldnt find any tires that "fit my bike".
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeruko View Post
Honestly I dont know what im doing and I couldnt find any tires that "fit my bike".
Scooter tires are different than motorcycle tires because they are made for the extra wide width of scooter wheels/rims .

Going with the recommendations here is your best bet but if you want to see some others check the link below

And they need to be 12" ... that will be the last number xxx/xx -12

You can deviate from the stock tire sizes up to using a ...

120/xx -12 on the front
&
140/xx -12 on the rear
https://www.bikebandit.com/search?q=...ires&qt=search
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIRE SIZES MM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	23061  
Ando likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaw'ee
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page