TB Parts Lightened Primary Gear - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
TB Parts Lightened Primary Gear

Great little piece of kit. ~2 lbs less than stock.

I didn't like the noise it made but I loved the way it rode. Ultimately my desire to not sound like a supercharger on wheels got the best of me. I've poked and prodded the manufacturer, seller, and reseller and all claim the noise is perfectly normal despite "silent OEM-like operation" being listed as a feature. Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Anyway...

$45 takes it, shipped in the Lower 48 states, sorry Canada!

Paypal F&F or you pay the fee. PM me if you want it shipped elsewhere and we can work something out.

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Great little piece of kit. ~2 lbs less than stock.

I didn't like the noise it made but I loved the way it rode. Ultimately my desire to not sound like a supercharger on wheels got the best of me.
Sorry it didnít work out for you. As you note, itís worth doing if there are no issues. I seem to remember an earlier post about gear noise that some folks experienced. In my case I experienced zero issues installing and with noise after. And this was before I went away from the stock air box and exhaust. I certainly would have heard any noises then. Did I just get lucky?

JW
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiseman View Post
Did I just get lucky?
As far as I can tell, yeah. Sounds like most people get the whine for the first 20-80 miles. After that initial break in period the noise is still present, but significantly lower volume.

There are threads on the forum documenting this same noise on completely stock bikes and it was resolved by replacing the primary or secondary gears. So there is some sort of variation in manufacturing (this isn't a top dollar bike folks) and I just happened to get a goofy pairing that didn't work well together. I'm still considering buying another and crossing my fingers.

I so desperately wanted to be OK with it. At half the volume I would have thought the whine was pretty cool, people might stop you at fuel ups and ask if your bike has a blower, as it was I was just getting dirty looks. Whoever buys this may find that it is silent in their bike. Like any purchase and installation of aftermarket parts, YMMV.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:51 PM

Garage
I'd cut a stock one down. If I could run it, I'd buy it from you. Then again, can't even ride any of my bikes right now (still).

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Agreed. I would very much like to lighten my OEM primary. It would end up costing more than the T bolt replacement, but at least I know it would run smooth.It was mentioned that it may be through hardened and not just case hardened so I'm not sure how much of a PITA it would be to turn down.

I assume you cannot run it due to classing?

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
Yes, the engine must be stock internals, and unmodified.

I'm certain that there are a few tools that would eat it right up, even if it was hardened. I'd start with a saw and lop off most of the ring, probably get 2/3 of the weight gone in this rather crude fashion. If you really wanted a workout, you could chuck it in a drill, and take a grinder and go at the rest of the weight after a saw cut. Never discount brute force and ignorance to get a job done!

Another really crude way would be to take a drill bit and start drilling holes. Drills can remove a huge amount of material fast when you use them right. I bet you could remove half the weight with drills through from front to back, or through the circumference (take your pick)

And I'd take a file to that mass and see what happens, doesn't make sense to harden the whole thing. I would guess induction hardening of the gear teeth is all that was done.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Another really crude way would be to take a drill bit and start drilling holes. Drills can remove a huge amount of material fast when you use them right. I bet you could remove half the weight with drills through from front to back, or through the circumference (take your pick)
Oooh, I like this idea. We have a crude mill and rotary table at work. Might have to come in on some weekend and make chips.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I'd cut a stock one down. If I could run it, I'd buy it from you. Then again, can't even ride any of my bikes right now (still).
You mean like this? I have a couple more left from the first run I machined. How much is it worth? I didn't plan on doing any more than for my riding buddies, but if you want one... And I'll need your heavy stock gear sent back as a core.

But they are silent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170502_220319.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	23655   Click image for larger version

Name:	516992134.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	23657  
Ando likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:31 PM

Garage
That hex on the end is a very good idea!

Was it hardened or not?

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You sir, have my attention. Looks great!

Wonderful... go online to try to recover some sunk cost... end up spending more money on the same mod... That's gonna be a hard sell with the wifecountant. I will let you know, thanks for chiming in!

ʕʘ‿ʘʔ

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page