TB Parts Lightened Primary Gear - Page 4 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobot View Post
OK, well since you have tried to get this resolved already and no one has helped you out, I'll send you a cut down stock gear so you can get back to riding your bike noise-free. I have an extra one so I don't mind giving it to a deserving forum member. Just send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

What a stand up guy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
What a stand up guy!
No kidding!

I really appreciate the offer Lobot, I just sent you a PM.

I'm not going crazy over here or risking engine damage by riding. I just went back to stock silent operation. ;]

The thought definitely occurred to me that it could be my clutch basket causing the mismatch, but that would be goofy that the primary that came in the bike just happens to be the right mismatch to run well with it. Stranger things have happened however, which is what made me hesitant to buy one of Lobot's OEM-lite gears in the first place.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Then maybe the clutch gear is the real issue?
I'll send him a primary gear that was quiet in another bike. Hopefully it stays quiet in his. Or you might be right.
crakerjac likes this.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:53 AM

@Lobot , did you do anything special when making your lightweight primary, or is it as straightforward as it looks?

On the TB primary, it looks like they cut down the gear as well to lighten it up further, do you do this as well, or just take car of the chunk of metal on the other end?

edit: Nevermind, should have gone back a few pages and looked at the pictures again before asking about turning down the gear... Carry on... @Ando , sorry for derailing your for sale thread...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
OK, looking at this more closely now... Why does it appear that the lightened gear will not mesh completely? The stock flywheel has the gear all the way at the end, and the light one looks like it is up far enough that it will not mesh. Are those pictures deceptive?

Also in this case, the static weight is not the biggest issue, it's the rotating mass reduction that gets you the big benefits.

My site:

Youtube channel:

Last edited by Greg_E; 09-25-2019 at 11:16 AM.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobot View Post
I'll send him a primary gear that was quiet in another bike. Hopefully it stays quiet in his. Or you might be right.
Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
sorry for derailing your for sale thread...
No sweat, I honestly forgot we were in the "for sale" sub forum. It's an interesting discussion.

The more I dig the more I get a feel for the proportions of who installed the part and was happy, surprised by the noise, or there are a few more like me that didn't feel comfortable leaving it installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
OK, looking at this more closely now... Why does it appear that the lightened gear will not mesh completely? The stock flywheel has the gear all the way at the end, and the light one looks like it is up far enough that it will not mesh. Are those pictures deceptive?
Yes and no. Like crakerjac mentioned, the tooth width is reduced on the TB Parts unit. My perception of that was that they did it for cost savings not additional weight reduction.

I have some photos of the gear installed and the wear on the gear sitting in my camera. I'll post them up soon. But you would be correct in thinking that the edge of the TB tooth is riding in the middle of the clutch basket teeth.

post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:34 PM

Garage
Was this always in the for sale section? Maybe we should split the discussion into another thread because the discussion is important.

However the discussion does help sell the modified OEM units, nothing helps sell a product better than having a "competing" product that offers issues after install.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, it was always in the for sale. I just included a nice lengthy disclaimer stating that it didn't fit my bike and I therefore cannot guarantee that the next owner won't have the same issue. Probably should have offered it for free at that point. =P

As for a new home for this discussion, we discussed the noise a bit HERE and there is a more top level discussion of the component HERE.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page