Erik Buell Goes Electric - Kawasaki Z125 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Erik Buell Goes Electric

Has anyone else been following Erik Buell's latest adventure, Fuell? What's everyone think?

https://fuell.us/

He started up an ultra trendy "Urban Mobility" company. That is to say, they want to make an electric bicycle and an electric motorcycle.

I haven't checked in a while but it looks like the E-bike is just wrapping up an indigogo campaign and is slated for delivery this fall. I have zero need for an E-bike but it looks very nice indeed.

But folks here are likely more interested in the E-cycle, coined the "Flow". Pre-orders are open with a 2020 planned start of production. Hub motor, ~3sec 0-60, <400 lbs, 150 mile range, 30 min quick charge. Asking for a very reasonable $12,000 for all that. That undercuts Zero by a longshot! Maybe only that low during the pre-order days. I dig the looks too.

I've got mad respect for Erik Buell and his innovative bikes. I've always thought it was a shame that he never found success in the market, but maybe he's got another chance here, albeit without gasoline.

Dropped a gear... ...still here

Last edited by Ando; 06-20-2019 at 05:27 PM.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:22 PM

Garage
He does make incredible machines and has a great mind for design. My personal favorite is the rim mounted brake disc (ie: 2013 lightning). Why aren't they all like that?

I hope one of these sticks and actually gets some dealer support. I'm scared of anything Buell because the parts seem to be made of unobtanium. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Speaking of brakes, those on the "Fuell" look horrifically undersized for something that is claiming "superbike performance".

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kawasaki Brad; 06-20-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh jeeze, you're not wrong. Doubling the brake set-up on the other side of the wheel would be a start. Better yet bring back the rim mounted disc like you said!

Even with clever pedal actuated regen braking, that only applies to the rear wheel so any assistance would be traction limited.

Agreed RE: Part availability, I've come very close to buying a couple Buells but got scared away by my research.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 PM

Garage
Parts are really that big a deal, so much stuff comes from Ford that you can cross reference and buy in an auto parts store.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
But folks here are likely more interested in the E-cycle, coined the "Flow". Pre-orders are open with a 2020 planned start of production. Hub motor, ~3sec 0-60, <400 lbs, 150 mile range, 30 min quick charge. Asking for a very reasonable $12,000 for all that. That undercuts Zero by a longshot! Maybe only that low during the pre-order days. I dig the looks too.
I've been heavily disappointed in all e bikes that seemed to look interesting or groundbreaking on the surface with their initial announcement. So I dug deeper to find out what the let down would be here. Found it:"Sustained top speed is just 55 mph." Might as well just ride your Z125.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:54 PM

Garage
But on the track for a sprint they could be amazing.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
"Sustained top speed is just 55 mph." Might as well just ride your Z125.
>.< Explains the tiny brakes too possibly. Hmm... it really is a city bike then, no love for the burbs and boonies.

Probably explains the price too, they are undercutting Zero by so much because Zero has engineered their bikes to be real world usable (if you ignore range anxiety).

Well, I'm not about to move anywhere where the Z is the only vehicle I need, so I'm obviously not buying a Fuell Flow, but I would be very pleased to see these on every street when I go downtown in 2023. Best of luck to them.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:13 PM

Garage
I wish the Harley electric wasn't priced into the realm of stupid.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:08 AM

Parts are really that big a deal, so much stuff comes from Ford that you can cross reference and buy in an auto parts store.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbrown2822 View Post
What's up with this martinbrown dude? 4/5 posts are verbatim copypasta. They had a real post in the trailer thread... I'm confused.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page