97 octane fuel & a 15 tooth sprocket - Page 2 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:04 PM

Garage
I would just buy a 250 over here.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
We are mph areas here and can only dream of going that fast on our little Z's.
Hey Greg, our z does hit 60 mph or 100 kph. It doesn't go 70 though.. I have hit 97 kph on mine at the track.

Also our octane rating is different their 95 is our 89 so their 97 is our 91?

Ride Safe

Last edited by Azlar49; 10-16-2019 at 02:57 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Hay Guys,

Speed isn't everything, 50mph can be a real crack around our 'B' roads, but I'd stay off of the 'A' roads during the day with that horse power.
Doesn't really matter how fast your going as long as your engine is singing to you, and you get the 'fizz'.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Garage
I seriously doubt my stock Z will ever hit 60mph unless I drive it off a cliff. I've seen about 52-55mph indicated which we all know is a big fat lie from the speedo.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Hi again,

97octane = 72mph
95octane = 68mph

89octane = 60mph

Is there a pattern emerging here?

How do you raise the octane of fuel?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:30 PM

Garage
Lots of additives you can put in, but not sure what you can buy over there. Here is a product I've used https://torcoracefuel.net/collections/accelerators

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Wow!

Don't know how to tell you this so I'm just gonna tell you:

I've just come from Tesco in Cheltenham which is about 3 miles from where I live.
Their selling '99' octane gas!

I could only fit 5.00 worth in. Give me some time and I'll report back.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 AM

There is a place down the street that sells 110 leaded 'race' gas.... Don't think that will play well with my O2 sensor...

[This space for rent]
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:16 PM

Garage
For a while there was a Gulf 1xx unleaded race fuel that you could buy at pumps in select areas, Texas had a bunch of these. This was an non-alcohol oxygenated fuel and they also "sold" it in 5 and 55 gallon drums. But you couldn't buy it anywhere. It seems to have died out as there is little information and it was never really available around me. Shipping was stupid expensive so you needed to order hundreds of gallons to make it worth the cost.

Isobutanol and Going Ethanol Free - Gulf Racing Fuels

Goes up to 116 averaged octane rating for very high boost needs http://gulfracingfuels.com/wp-conten...acingComps.pdf

The really big deal is that is does not gather moisture like alcohol, makes for a great marine fuel that burns cleaner (lower emissions) and has high performance options as well. Also that it contains more energy density than alcohol so your jetting doesn't change as much, and fuel economy is better. Looks like the EPA certified it last year, so maybe this will move forward as a better high octane race fuel than lead or manganese additives. I still don't like the idea of using a lot of leaded fuels around young racers, especially when there are alternatives in the unleaded category.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Do you want to know the best bit?

Lucky chap that I am, I've also got a Z750R (I guess that would be a KZ750 in the states) the one with the up-rated suspension, brakes and swinging arm.

I've had it since 2012 and have only ever run it on 95octane, it's also got the 'one tooth smaller front sprocket' modification so it takes off like a bullet already!

Some extreme 'fizz' coming next spring I reckon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page