Nope! Let the pros handle that. 2 13.33%
Depends on the situation. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Who mounts their own tires?

I was slipping around a bit too much yesterday for my liking. I think I'm ready for better tires.

Decent tires are pretty cheap for these bikes, but then I'm looking at the cost of mounting and balancing four tires and I don't have a way to get all four off the bikes at one time so it's a bit of added hassle shuffling them to and from a shop.

I'm basically a pro at mounting bicycle tires so I figure it's the same thing on a larger scale. I thought balancing was the dealbreaker for DIY tire mounting until I heard about Dynabeads. They seem promising but I'm not a full believer.

So, my question is this:

Do you always mount/balance your own tires? Why or why not? Should I consider gearing up?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:28 PM

<------ This guy mounts them.

Attached is a sketch of how to make your very own CABB to break beads. Requires nothing more than a few pieces of scrap 2x4 and some screws. Only the one board is fastened to anyone, so there is a bit of juggling required as you apply load to the lever... an assistant makes it much easier but I do it by myself.

To remove tire:
Let air out of tire. remove Schrader valve or drill a couple 1/4"ish holes in the tire.
Use the CABB. The holes will allow air to come out and the tire to compress enough to get it off the rim.
Grab your 3 tire irons and rim protectors and wrestle that sucker off.

To install the tire:
Grab your 3 tire irons and rim protectors and wrestle that sucker on.
Set the bead. Wratchet strap around the circumference of the tire. Hit it with some soapy water to help bead seal. Wratchet, wratchet, wratchet… center of tire gets pulled toward center of rim, edges push out against rim making tight seal.
Blast it with air compressor to set bead.
TIP- remove Schrader valve to set bead. Lets more air through.

To balance:
Dynabeads.

Sometimes I have a hard time setting the bead if tire is flattened from shipping. I get the tire on the rim, take it to like a used tire shop and they guy sets them both for me for 5 bucks.

Why do I do it? Because I'm a cheap SOB.

Watch the youtube videos. It takes some time to learn how to use the tire irons. Those tires stretch more than you may be comfortable until you get used to it. This won't make sense until you try it, but take SMALL "bites" with the irons as you work your way around the tire.

Use some common sense to protect your wheel when using the CABB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CABB.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	23105  
Ando likes this.

Last edited by MrEvilpirate; 05-08-2019 at 05:32 PM. Reason: PC glitched out mid post.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:38 PM

Hey my sketch is pretty terrible. The idea is a lever. Short piece of 2x4 should be close to the wall mounted 2x, the longer one is the lever so the longer the easier it is. My drawing has the short 2x4 about halfway between the wall and the end of the lever, which isn't a great setup. If you can't push it down, move the shorter 2x4 closer to the wall and/or get a longer lever.

"With a long enough lever I can move the earth"
-Someone from back in the day.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvilpirate View Post
Hey my sketch is pretty terrible.
Not at all, it made perfect sense in ~5 seconds. Perfect engineering bar-napkin-sketch quality.

One question on the CABB; What do you use to protect the wheel/rotor from the garage floor? (Herp derp, you already answered this... common sense. Moving blanket, cardboard, etc?)

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here

Last edited by Ando; 05-08-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Garage
You stack some lumber under the wheel so that gear/rotor doesn't take any force. I have a cheap Harbor Freight tire machine with motorcycle adapter that I have used, may just try with spoons on the Z.

Here's a tip to seat the beads:

QuickTip - Tire mounting

And no to the dynabeads, just buy some stick on weights and a balance stand, Motion Pro has steel weights that are cheap with a foam adhesive on the back, then a decent (read cheap) gravity balancer is good enough for these little machines (Harbor Freight?):

Balancing the wheels

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Greg_E; 05-08-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:53 PM

Greg got it some wood under.

But why no to dynabeads? I've been running them for years on all sorts of bikes, never had a wobble or any kind of problem. I wouldn't use them in a car, but why not a bike?
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
The amount of rubber that they erode from the inside of the tire bothers me. Just don't like them. My brother has tried them and found them to be OK as well, but I just don't like the thought of them removing rubber from inside the tire.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:58 PM

I take my tires to a guy on the north side of the cities. Pull the wheels off the bike and he mounts and balances them in ~10 minutes. Runs me $30 a set.

I would do it myself, but I'm not sold on dynabeads. I've heard that they are fine at faster speeds, but make the tire off balanced at slow speeds.
Fox Fader and dlycan2 like this.

[This space for rent]
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
The amount of rubber that they erode from the inside of the tire bothers me. Just don't like them. My brother has tried them and found them to be OK as well, but I just don't like the thought of them removing rubber from inside the tire.
Dude that's crazy, I never noticed. They seem so benign!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
I take my tires to a guy on the north side of the cities. Pull the wheels off the bike and he mounts and balances them in ~10 minutes. Runs me $30 a set.

I would do it myself, but I'm not sold on dynabeads. I've heard that they are fine at faster speeds, but make the tire off balanced at slow speeds.

They are technically not doing anything until you get up to maybe 7 or 8 mph or so... when centrifugal force distributes them evenly to the outside of the tire. But balance is really not an issue at parking lot speeds anyway.

I've personally had multiple bikes at 100+ mph with these things and zero issues. I prefer them because it is a dynamic balance vs the static balance you get with clip on weights. Every time you take off from a stop you are essentially rebalancing the tire.

EDIT: 30 a set is a steal. They want 50 bucks a rim, I take them off the bike, up here in CT. No F-in way.

Double Edit: For 30 a set, ride in, no way I would do it myself. But I don't have a fancy machine like Greg. You will work up a sweat playing with the tire irons.

Last edited by MrEvilpirate; 05-08-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page