Yup! Always! 8 53.33%
Nope! Let the pros handle that. 2 13.33%
Depends on the situation. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Kawasaki Brad - Class act thanks man.

EZ Beads are real cheap too same thing as dynabeads if anyone wants to try them check out Amazon. Got 20 oz pretty cheap. I never did the test because I didn't change the tire yet. Will report when I do. Life has been nuts past couple weeks.
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 PM

Huge HUGE thanks to Kawasaki Brad!

I was having trouble mounting a Maxxis M6024 tire and reached out to Brad for advice. Swung by Cycle Works and Brad wrastled' that tire on the wheel in no time!

Thanks again!
Kawasaki Brad, Kaw'ee and Ando like this.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What a guy!

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Huge HUGE thanks to Kawasaki Brad!

I was having trouble mounting a Maxxis M6024 tire and reached out to Brad for advice. Swung by Cycle Works and Brad wrastled' that tire on the wheel in no time!

Thanks again!
Awww shucks. I sincerely appreciate the kind words.

Sorry I was tired and sick and rushed through it. You said you got 3 more?

Next time

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:23 AM

Garage
Just a follow up... I bought the larger set of Motion Pro bead breaker bars and finally gave them a try with a set of cheap spoons to remove a tire on a Harley. The tire had been installed for over a decade which didn't help, but I'm not sure about these bead breakers. I have a second wheel to do so that may be the deciding factor. I may or may not make a video of this.

I have a feeling these would work better on our little wheels better, changing tires on Harleys has been known to be difficult, they often use extra rugged bead cable/cords in those tires.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I bought the same ones and found them OK. I found that they would slide out a tiny bit when breaking the bead and I could bump them back in for a second go in the same location. Usually got the bead off in 2-3 repetitions of this process. I chalked up my difficulty to being a first timer however.

post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:53 PM

Garage
The second wheel went better, but still a lot of problems with the lower bar slipping out. I think the groove in the middle needs to be a little deeper, the top bar is definitely pushing it out as it rocks back. I'll have a video up later tonight or tomorrow night.

Now, that said, if that groove is deeper, then you can't use the bottom bar to push the top bar into place. I think you are supposed to put the two together and slide them into place with the lower bar, then squeeze to break the bead. Need to look at it more closely and see what I think, but not sure I'm going to do any more tires this season. Haven't really decided yet, still have the KD1's to put on the Z, but pretty much no chance I'm going to ride it before the snow flies.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sounds about right. I place the bottom bar solo as far as I can get it, add the top bar and pry to open the bead a little bit, push both bars a bit deeper, pry again. This tends to get the bead 90% off and you can attempt to pry the rest of the way by hand or repeat the process a few inches over.

As you mentioned if you try to get the full depth on the first go the top bar just ejects the bottom bar and has nothing to push against.

post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:37 AM

Garage
Video is up, it is also a channel update since I haven't uploaded anything is a long time.

Feel free to link it on other threads.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:58 AM

So what did you guys find works best on these mini bikes? My tire guy charges $30 to mount and balance, but cant guarantee that he won't scratch 12" rims... Since I have my old bent rim to practice on, I may as well give it a try myself... assuming the (right) tools aren't terribly expensive.

[This space for rent]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page