Winter Work Program - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By jwiseman
  • 1 Post By MrElusive
  • 3 Post By jwiseman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Winter Work Program

Major winter repair and upgrade about to start here. I prefer skiing in the winter and once the temperatures here started averaging in the 40ís, it was time to get the wrenches out. My garage is detached from the house, too cold, and a bit cramped anyway with the car in, so I moved indoors today. Last yearís work was done in the kitchen, but I just finished a total renovation there, and that ainít happening on the new tile. So Iím making room in the dining room I never use. The table will come in handy. Thought you might enjoy the pix.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C3652AF0-F763-443C-A624-113AE41F7B5E.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	23987   Click image for larger version

Name:	331A0E6C-5BC4-4A7D-9EE0-A8C203613E83.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	23989  
Kaw'ee and Ando like this.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM

Love it. Keep us posted in this thread on this Winter work program.
jwiseman likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElusive View Post
Love it. Keep us posted in this thread on this Winter work program.
Will do. Removed the engine from the frame last night, and some might be interested in how I did it. See attached photos. Went on Amazon and got an appropriately sized jack lift for 65 bucks. Works great for this size and weight engine. Since there are only 3 hanger mounting bolts, a little upward pressure allows you to simply pull the bolts out by hand after removing the nuts. Then lowering down slowly allows you to check and make sure you have really disconnected and removed all cables, tubes, etc. This way itís quick, efficient, and safe on the back muscles to do by yourself. Also, it makes installation easy as well - just crank back up and align as you go. Notice I chose to leave the throttle body and injector connected to the bike. Since the engine drops down and away from it, why bother disconnecting everything when it has to come off the engine on the bench anyway?

Another suggestion is, especially if you are like me with lots of mods and cable/tubing reroutes not in the manual - take lots of close-up cellphone photos before you remove stuff. Makes for an easier time in reassembly.

Engine is now on the table and first inspection shows me the gasket leak area on the top of the crankcase, the initial reason for doing this winter work. I also see evidence of some slight gasket blow-by at the base of the cylinder in an area I couldnít see when on the bike. This Iíll look at carefully when I pull the top end.

Again, another reason I have this bike is that itís so easy to work on. I enjoy doing this almost as much as riding it. Almost...

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B91A21E-85F8-4AA4-8AB4-44210BC9044D.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	24001   Click image for larger version

Name:	548F3DE4-EC35-4345-8EE3-91400BC7435C.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	24003  
Kaw'ee, 502Z125 and Ando like this.