How cold is TOO cold? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Question How cold is TOO cold?

As I mentioned in my New Member post, I got my Z a few weeks ago. I had a couple friends make some snotty comments about buying a bike “this time of year”, “losing value”, etc. I had my defenses, like “doesn’t matter to me”, “could care less about your 2”, “bought it now to mod over the winter”, and even somewhat agreeing with them at times.

...but it got me to thinking. I want to ride as deep into the cold season as I can. I’ve bought a decent riding jacket with a thick, removable liner, full coverage helmet, nice leather armored gloves, and will soon be in the market for some quality riding pants for when the temperature REALLY dips.

How cold is too cold to ride? And what goes in on making the decision to either keep on rollin’ or hang it up for the season. My workplace is a pretty good haul, about 45-50 minutes of backroads, and I’d love to ride to and from it as much as possible.

Being from Oklahoma, we have... interesting weather here. Super Hot > Cold > ICY with very short windows for Spring and Fall. I’d obviously stay off ice or heavy rain, but I feel that if I have the right gear and experience, I could enjoy riding most of the year. I’d love any links or tips on proper (yet affordable) gear for both hot and cold seasons.

tl:dr - How cold is too cold to ride?
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:34 AM

Garage
That depends on how much you can handle the cold. Also heated grips and vests help lots.

Just watch out as people expect bikes less in the winter than summer.

Ride Safe
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar49 View Post
That depends on how much you can handle the cold. Also heated grips and vests help lots.

Just watch out as people expect bikes less in the winter than summer.
HEATED grips?! I didn't know that was a thing.

And good call on the staying aware. Thanks!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:26 AM

I will ride ride down to about 35 degF. Ice is no bueno. I'll hoon around the block at any temperature as long as the bike fires up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
Just remember that tire grip gets very weak below about 45 degrees F. At some point I want to get a dual sport with knobbies and put sheet metal screws in them for winter riding in the snow.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Rode the bike all week so far. Monday and today were about 30 degrees F
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 01:38 PM

Garage
As a commuter I don't think I'd ride below freezing. Just not much point and I'm too lazy to give up the comfort of my heated leather.

For fun I've been out in -25deg F last year but for a short amount of time. Without studs in your tires it's pointless. Also remember that the bike won't start at around 5deg F so if you stop and park it somewhere long enough to cool down you'll be walking after that. The bike will need to park somewhere warm for a while before it will run again.

handamputation likes this.

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:36 PM

Garage
+1 YMMV

We can't give you an accurate answer. Depends too much on your gear and tolerance of cold. If you don't have a good baseline for your gear/personal limits I'd recommend taking shorter trips to find out. It's pretty rough needing to be somewhere and realizing you can't feel your hands/toes halfway there. (Ask me how I know...)

As an aside, don't feel bad at all about buying right before the off season. Having your warranty run out in April 2021 is essentially the same thing as November 2020 and after the warranty is up literally nobody will pay attention to the age of the bike beyond the model year and tire codes. So unless you were going to wait for the 2021 M.Y. to drop you really haven't lost any value by buying now. (Unless you're storing it outside I guess?)
handamputation likes this.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
As an aside, don't feel bad at all about buying right before the off season. Having your warranty run out in April 2021 is essentially the same thing as November 2020 and after the warranty is up literally nobody will pay attention to the age of the bike beyond the model year and tire codes. So unless you were going to wait for the 2021 M.Y. to drop you really haven't lost any value by buying now. (Unless you're storing it outside I guess?)
Great points! I went ahead and maxed out the warranty at 5 years (1+4) so I should be good for a while!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:29 PM
jh3

buying warranty for a Z?

its better to spend the cash and replace whatever goes wrong with some sweet upgraded parts. best/first thing about getting a new bike is stripping out as much factory junk and putting on the good stuff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page