Ninja300/400 swap - Page 2 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:09 PM

He had to have meant parallel-twin haha. Imagine the cornering clearance with a boxer twin in a z125 chassis.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Imagine the cornering clearance with a boxer twin in a z125 chassis.
Track day EZ-mode, just build some urethane wheels into the cam covers!

....On second thought that sounds like a great way to eat $h!t when you lift one of your wheels off the ground.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here

Last edited by Ando; 09-30-2019 at 07:36 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
....On second thought that sounds like a great way to eat $h!t when you lift one of your wheels off the ground.
Just like those guys who take off with their kickstand still down...
Ando likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
I don't know of any small bore flat twins. But there are some Vtwin in 125 and 250 sizes, don't think they would fit the frame though.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 03:38 AM

Garage
I remember that someone on this forum did this and found it:

https://www.z125owners.com/forum/615...s/12433?page=1

This is awesome but definitely not easy. Keep us updated once you start the work!

Ride Safe
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found one that was already removed at a local wrecker and "borrowed it" for the weekend (it's nice being in the industry). It looks like it's going to be way more work than I was expecting, and I was expecting a TON of work. Still considering it, but I'm strongly leaning away at the moment. I have considered a KX250 engine though (the early 2000's two stroke). Hmmm

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:08 PM

Did it look like you might have to cut into the backbone of the frame or something?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:12 AM

If someone can stuff a FZ07 motor in a Grom, then you can stuff a 300cc Ninja motor in a Z. I know you can... Have you considered the CB300R or R3 motors at all? Since you are doing a swap, you don't necessarily need to stick with a Kawi motor.

[This space for rent]
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 AM

Garage
Other than the reason of "because you can", why go through this swap?

The only easy way that I see is to chop the backbone and weld in a perimeter frame. And if I was doing this, I'd start with a wreck to harvest the headstock (and VIN) and start working out the details for the frame and cut/weld everything. With the forward cylinder that they used, there isn't a lot of room under the backbone because it allowed them to have a lower backbone.

Cheap and basic frame jig https://www.dimecitycycles.com/motor...e-jig-kit.html I thought they used o sell a kit so that you could rotate the jig to weld on the bottom sides, didn't see it. NOTE that this doesn't include the square tube, you will need to source that someplace like your local metal supply shop or maybe onlinemetals.com or similar web shop.

Found the manufacturer again https://www.chopsource.com/full-frame-jig-kit.html might be able to get the rotisserie from them. see the instructions https://www.chopsource.com/docs/chop...structions.pdf
Kawasaki Brad likes this.

My site:

Youtube channel:

Last edited by Greg_E; 10-02-2019 at 10:41 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:53 PM

I haven't seen the FZ07 Grom, but I have seen plenty of CRF450 groms. Got a link?

I'm wondering if the throttle bodies straddle the frame backbone. You gotta consider if that can work it's a tight and tidy way to do it. Then reroute pod filters on tubes down under somewhere.

I'm liking an RZ350 in a z125 chassis, it's a tight compact engine. But the expansion chambers... Would be a challenge to fab up new ones but maybe they could fit under where the OEM exhaust goes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page