Proper insurance coverage? - Page 4 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
The only insurance coverage that matters is medical on yourself and your family, and your house. After that comes legal requirements. Anything else is a total waste of money.

So you were nearly killed cycling. Sounds like you are complaining that the other guy didn't have enough liability coverage. As long as you had enough medical coverage, don't worry about the other guy's liability coverage. Insurance lawyers can't just waltz in and start taking away his house and car. It varies per state but for most there are protections against that. His house and car are commonly exempt from seizure by judgement creditors unless he lives in a mansion or is driving a supercar. If he's rich and has serious cash on hand they can take that but otherwise nothing happens to him.

Your story kinda sounds like you had crappy medical coverage and you were hoping the other guy's liability would carry you. That's really a poor way to go. Never skimp on medical coverage. If someone runs me over, it's not going to matter if they have big liability coverage. I am well insured medically.

TLDR; buy good medical insurance, NOT liability or collision.
I actually have very good benefits that covered everything but as I said, unless you're in one of the few states that have anti-subrogation laws, your medical and disability insurance will place a lien against anything you get in order to recoup their loss since it was the other persons fault. Even if you are left paralyzed (true story where a guys medical insurance agreed to take "less" by only taking $7,500 of his settlement).

My point is more about making folks aware of the real world scenarios from both sides of this. Everyone is going to be in a different place and I get that, but even if you have state minimum coverage, which varies from 10k (seriously Florida?) to 50k, that isn't to say someone won't pass on that and opt to at least try and own your ass for the next 20 years if you are on the giving end. And yes it's unlikely that you'll do serious harm with a Z125 unless you hit another motorcyclist, a pedestrian, or via some weird freakish accident but this applies to cars as well. I hate insurance companies and they are worse than lawyers but I pay the bastards to carry the risk in order to protect my own assets. That's the point I'm making. If you don't have anything to protect than I get not worrying about it but you can really screw someone else over if you're on the giving end. Go through what I and my family went through and trust me... you'll get it. Even more so if you knew some of my friends stories as well. One of which is a self employed OTR driver who was hit on his Harley by a kid whose insurance lapsed at midnight the night before. He went through the bone crusher basically and couldn't work for months.

I'll also point out that if you don't have your insurance companies by the balls they will try and use anything and everything to deny your claims. Track days, speeding, conflicting accounts of what happened and who's at fault, etc. They don't get rich paying out claims but they sure do by taking your money and not paying out if they can and some of the biggest advertisers are the worst offenders. Fortunately in my case I was able to squeeze really hard.

Stay safe out there!

Iíve always said 4 bikes is the optimal number. Now that Iím there I wonder if maybe just 1 more...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
In New York, it is very hard to get above the insurance amount, or my law firm is incompetent and I should be getting much more than what they told me I am going to get.
Yep, that's the standard. Nothing greater than the higher limit.

Iíve always said 4 bikes is the optimal number. Now that Iím there I wonder if maybe just 1 more...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidagger View Post
I'll also point out that if you don't have your insurance companies by the balls they will try and use anything and everything to deny your claims. Track days, speeding, conflicting accounts of what happened and who's at fault, etc. They don't get rich paying out claims but they sure do by taking your money and not paying out if they can and some of the biggest advertisers are the worst offenders. Fortunately in my case I was able to squeeze really hard.

Stay safe out there!
Just to point out, you really do need to cover your ass. My personal story goes like this....

I've been riding bikes since I was a kid. First on dirt and then got my first street bike at the age of 20. 2006 zx6r. Fucking loved that bike. Rode it for 5 1/2 years in all types of conditions and put roughly 12k miles on it (New York riding seasons). I was never a stunter or really ever did dumb **** in traffic. I moved from the small-ish 60k population city of Utica to the capital area of Albany. It only took 3 months of living out there for some ass hole punk kid driving a vehicle registered to his father to pull out from a motel parking lot INTO 4 LANES OF TRAFFIC resulting in me laying the bike down at ~40mph and smacking head on into the left front of his car. I got super lucky with no broken bones or serious roadrash (dress for the slide not for the ride folks) and instead just a pretty decent gash on my right knee cap. As I'm laying in the ER with my knee split open, a police officer calls me. Eventually I asked him what happened to the other guy (because seriously, could have killed me). He informs me that he DIDN'T EVEN GET TICKETED due to the witnesses "stating that I was speeding, swerving through traffic and passing cars in the center turn lane". Like seriously its like 40 degrees out, 8 o clock in the morning and I'm just trying to get to work. The insurance company on his side completely denying my claim.

It wasn't until the police eventually attained security camera footage from some community outreach building that was pointing to the front entrance and just so happened to cover that part of the roadway that negated all of that before the insurance company would even listen to me. Because of this footage I went from basically being screwed to at least getting something (only came out with a nice scar, no physical therapy or anything, again...LUCKY).

We as motorcyclists will always be guilty until proven innocent and this is why I would suggest anyone and everyone that travel on public roadways to have some type of camera rolling. Even just a gopro on your helmet could be life changing. And I know with every one of these stories comes some hindsight but it's funny that that morning I wasn't even going to ride the bike to work because it was in the low 40 degrees but then once I did decide to ride, I was going to attach my gopro to my helmet but was already running late. Also the irony is that I work for an insurance company lol.

Stay safe out there!

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:56 PM

Garage
Dashcam!

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I actually have very good benefits that covered everything but as I said, unless you're in one of the few states that have anti-subrogation laws, your medical and disability insurance will place a lien against anything you get in order to recoup their loss
I think you are making a link between other people's liability coverage and your own medical coverage that isn't really there. I am walking proof of that. Over the last 6 years my family incurred about a half million dollars of medical bills, a portion of that which was caused by other uninsured people. Nobody came to put a lien on my house, my cars, or take away my garage full of motorcycles or anything like that.

When can they start taking your ****? You can't pay your deductible, you can't pay your max out of pocket, or your medical billls start to exceed your maximum lifetime limit. All of that is really bad planning and poor medical coverage.

I don't know, I just don't see it. I'm in Wisconsin BTW. Maybe it's just a good place to get run over by uninsured drunks, hahah.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 01:30 PM

Unless you are looking at it the other way, Uninsured drunks out there causing accidents - for them, basic necessities are considered protected in most states, and those necessities include a car and a house.

Beyond that though, I suppose I could agree with you. If you are a weathy drunk, prone to doing stupid stuff, um yeah... a nice high liability might be right for you.

Personally I've never caused an accident or hurt anyone in my life. And if someone wants to blame me for something, I can afford to make a lawyer rich as much as I can afford to make an insurance company rich year after year.

Quote:
I'll also point out that if you don't have your insurance companies by the balls they will try and use anything and everything to deny your claims.
Something we can agree on. I've had to fight medical insurance companies to get them to pay, and that includes taking them in to independent arbitration. And I've won, forcing them to pay tens of thousands of dollars worth of claims they wanted to deny.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 12:46 AM

This thread is full of useful information for a beginner like me. Iím going liability plus theft ASAP.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handamputation View Post
This thread is full of useful information for a beginner like me.
A thread like this is full of "viewpoints" presented by people with strong feelings on a subject.

Do whatever makes you feel good and ride.
handamputation likes this.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
A thread like this is full of "viewpoints" presented by people with strong feelings on a subject.

Do whatever makes you feel good and ride.
I like your way of thinking. Live and let ride!
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

FWIW, here is what I ultimately decided on for my Z125 insurance.

Please keep in mind, this is for a motorcycle that lives in Florida and its owner (me) lives in NJ. I'm only down there one week per month sometimes less. For reference, I haven't ridden my Z since late September.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z125Insurance.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	23911  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page