O2 sensor engine code - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

O2 sensor engine code

Need some advice here. Been dealing with the Ďcheck engineí light on since I installed a Graves exhaust with a Power Commander and Autotune. As has been noted on the forum before, the PC and Autotune are NOT shipped with an O2 optimizer plug anymore, so I left the old O2 sensor connector open. As I would expect, this sets off the Ďcheck engineí light, and itís been on awhile.

Had the bike dyno tuned and all went well. The guy who did it commented that the engine light would go off only if I had an optimizer in the circuit, and recommended I get one on eBay. Found one for the bike from Europe and finally got and installed it. Ran fine, but the light never cleared after numerous rides. I brought the bike in for a state inspection and had the code read - 67 (P0030) OX SENSOR MALFUNCTION OPEN OR SHORT. But after reading and CLEARING the code, the light immediately tripped again, with the optimizer in place. Of course the dealer wonít help - itís not even close to stock.

So Iím wondering if the optimizer has the wrong resistors for this bike. Unfortunately, the tech says the code is OPEN or SHORT - you canít tell which is the case.

With an ohm meter and by reading the resistor codes, they are 330 ohms for the heater, and 47K ohms for the sensor. I have no reference for the sensor resistance, but the heater value may be off. The service manual says the stock O2 sensor should have a resistance value of between 13.0 and 18.5 ohms. If the ECU is seeing 330 ohms, all I can think of is that since this is way too high, it may interpret this value as an ďopenĒ and continually trip the light. I could try an 18 ohm resistor here, but for a 12 volt supply that is 8 watts of power dissipation - not trivial and requires a 10 watt rated power resistor. And that would be expected as itís a HEATER element in the sensor. But from photos Iíve seen of old optimizers, the resistor is nowhere near the size of a power resistor of this wattage.

So to get to the point - does anyone have experience in this area? And if you have an optimizer that works with a PC and Autotune, can you check the resistance with a meter and let me know the value?

I would appreciate any help in solving this as itís not just annoying. It would be nice if the light was ever tripped for another reason I would know it...

JW
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:05 PM

Garage
I had the same issue as soon as i unplugged the o2 sensor when i put my autone and pcv. I ended up ordering the o2 eliminator/optimizer plug from greece for around 20 dollars. I then rode about 180km before the light finally went off on its own. It was frustrating definitely and not impressed with the response from dynojet about them not providing this anymore. I never bothered to measure the resistance, clear the code, or even read it. It did go away on its own

Would the pcv and ecu not conflict with each other due to the lack of sensor? Wouldnt that make the dyno job pointless?

Ride Safe
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:31 PM

Garage
Not sure if this helps ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DFI SYSTEM INFO.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	23685  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaw'ee
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:51 AM

Garage
Was thinking i saved and made something about those and just found it

The values are a post from another site so I can't verify if there correct ?
Not sure if you need the other pic so just chuckin it on here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green resistor= 46.6k ohms yellow resistor=220 ohms..jpg
Views:	28
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	23687   Click image for larger version

Name:	W- 02 SENSOR WIRING 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	23689  

Kaw'ee

Last edited by Kaw'ee; 08-09-2019 at 12:55 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:40 AM

Garage
Sorry guys for my sporadic replys and posts but the wife broke knee 3 weeks ago and now last sunday broke her hip so i jump on here the few minutes i have available to post when i only have a couple of minutes to even really understand the questions

Kaw'ee

Last edited by Kaw'ee; 08-09-2019 at 01:44 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
Dude, take care of her first, no need to apologize.

I thought that to make an o2 bypass device, you needed a small micro controller or 555 timer to output a pulse that mirrors the rich/lean trend that all narrow band o2 sensors gives. Since this is a standard o2, I'd look to the car market to find something and make an adapter cable if needed.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:27 AM

Garage
Also J&P lists a couple Dynojet eliminators, here is one of them https://www.jpcycles.com/product/166...nsor-optimizer

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw'ee View Post
Was thinking i saved and made something about those and just found it

The values are a post from another site so I can't verify if there correct ?
Not sure if you need the other pic so just chuckin it on here
Just what I was looking for - some kind of discrepancy from what I currently have that doesnít work. Went to the lab at work over lunch time and changed my 330 ohm resistor to 220 as in your photo. Weather looks perfect for this weekend so Iíll go out and see if it clears. Iíll report on Sunday evening. Thanks!

JW
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:16 PM

Garage
Take care of your wife and yourself, we thank you for all your input and help but we also understand when real life comes about.

You are a great member of this community and we appreciate it
jwiseman likes this.

Ride Safe
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Garage
I'm having a hard time sourcing a bulk quantity of connectors for this to make my own. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'll gladly build and ship you one (free) when they come in.
Kaw'ee likes this.

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page