OTB chain adjusters stuck - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

OTB chain adjusters stuck

I would like to throw this out to tap into the creative minds of the group.

My problem is this, my new OTB gen 2 chain adjusters are not working?! The allen adjusting screw....won't turn in at all. ( No the axle bolt is not tightened down ; ). I determined it's because the box shape of the swing arm was mildly distorted due to my torque wrench being "off" thus over tightening the nut when previously adjusting the chain over the past 2K miles. During install I had to "Help" the OTB's in with a rubber mallet the last 25% of the way and now can't quite figure out how to get them out short of hammering against the spool bolt. Any thoughts (or deserved criticism) welcomed.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 PM

Garage
A couple of pictures might be helpful Dean, to form an opinion.
Kaw'ee likes this.

I NEVER MET A BIKE I DIDN'T LIKE
JP
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Scootertrash,

I will try to get some pics up loaded Friday pm. In the meantime, basically they are installed correctly I just can't tighten the chain OR
pull them out to put the stock adjusters back in.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 AM

Garage
Just watched the install video ...

WD-40 everywhere you can get into it a bunch of times for a day.

I would loosen the pinch bolt that holds them in , remove axle and wheel , then reinstall axle and tap on it and at least enough to get them back (the 25% ?) to the edge of the swingarm hole , anything helps .. unless you have the right size long enough bolt to go threw 1 adjuster and be able to tap on it.

Then try taping on the spool bolt without the spool , run bolt all the way in to avoid a leverage condition and use a metal punch on the head of the bolt

If its to tight still and bolts look like they will break or the adjuster hole will tear out before moving adjuster ,

I would put a thick strong C-clamp on it tap on the C-clamp

If adjustment bolts are striped and stuck in place the adjusters are probably junk anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaw'ee
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Kawee,

I like what that sounds like !! I feel I will be able to impart enough KE to the axle and get them moving & out. I'll give it a try Fri and post an up date!

Thanks.
Kaw'ee likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:35 AM

If you are bending the swingarm, you are tightening that axle bolt WAY too much. That much torque is probably creating extra pressure on your bearings causing excessive drag if not damaging other things as well.

[This space for rent]
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM

Garage
The 45 ft*lb torque always seems high to me, particularly with a locking nut and a cotter pin to protect you. My swingarm does move a mm or two when I snug the axle back down, but the box shape doesn't deform.

My OTB adjusters were fine on one side and tight on the other side (installed with a dead blow hammer like yours). I contacted OTB to ask about this and they sent out a replacement body which I haven't bothered to install yet.

As mentioned you should undo the pinch plates too. I followed the instructions to a T and the 8 ft*lb torque on those pinch plate bolts is excessive, the knurled heads of the adjustment screws were grinding away the aluminum. You really only need ~5lb holding force with that pinch set-up. If the bike is on the spools the weight of the bike is keeping the adjusters in place, if you didn't get spools you just need enough pressure to keep them from falling out on their own accord.

For the price point they should have used a threaded insert instead of tapping the aluminum.

All in all I'm significantly happier with my Fine Turn Precision adjusters (if you ignore lead time).

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I would like to throw this out to tap into the creative minds of the group.

My problem is this, my new OTB gen 2 chain adjusters are not working?! The allen adjusting screw....won't turn in at all. ( No the axle bolt is not tightened down ; ). I determined it's because the box shape of the swing arm was mildly distorted due to my torque wrench being "off" thus over tightening the nut when previously adjusting the chain over the past 2K miles. During install I had to "Help" the OTB's in with a rubber mallet the last 25% of the way and now can't quite figure out how to get them out short of hammering against the spool bolt. Any thoughts (or deserved criticism) welcomed.
Had the same exact problem with the OTBís you are having. In my case it was the LEFT side of the swingarm that would not accept an adjuster. In my case, I put it down to manufacturing tolerances in the swingarm itself. Hey, itís not exactly a high-precision piece of performance equipment on a race bike. I ended up identifying where the high spots were and used a Dremel and a hand file to get the left side to fit. As you note, if you hammer them in and then the bolts get pinched - youíre essentially screwed, especially when you go to try to remove the nicely machined aluminum pieces. In the end, the one that fit properly on the right side worked well. The one I ďadaptedĒ worked ok. Later I had my swingarm powder coated green and got rid of them altogether as I didnít care for the look. Ended up with Area 22 adjusters which donít have the OTBís high-tech look, but were a helluva lot easier to deal with.

Solved all my problems with looks, weight (stock arm + OTB adjusters = HEAVY), and adjuster performance/ease of use by going to a GCraft aluminum swing arm. See my recent post on this subject.

As always, these are my experiences, along with some subjective stuff thrown in. Your mileage may vary...

JW
Ando likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:27 AM

Made an account just to post. I'm also having the same exact problem. On the brake side, everything goes in perfect. On the chain side, the chain adjuster didn't go in all the way. I also used a rubber mallet to try and get it in and got it stuck as well. I put a bolt through and hammered it back out, but marred and damaged the internal adjuster. Now I can turn the adjuster but it doesn't move the carrier at all.

I reached out to OTB via the form on their website over a month ago and didn't receive any word. Kinda bummed, because I feel like I wasted 160 bucks.
Kaw'ee likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:54 AM

Garage
That's too much money to be having problems like this!

I could probably mill a little off them if you wanted to send them to me, but OTB needs to deal with this. I'd also contact the seller and see what they have to say.

My site:

Youtube channel:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page