GCraft aluminum swingarm installed - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By jwiseman
  • 1 Post By 2veedubs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

GCraft aluminum swingarm installed

Was never happy with the look of the stock swingarm and the chain adjusters, and the latter are not the highest of quality. Understatement, I know. First thing I did was remove all the junky stickers and get OTB adjusters. The stock swingarm doesn’t have good machining tolerances and I could not get one of the OTB adjusters to fit properly even with grinding. Got tired of this set up and took the arm off to have it powder coated Kawasaki green. Not a bad look, but then added Area 22 adjusters as they were a bit better fit. But what I really noticed is just how heavy the stock arm is - 11 lbs on my scale! So I finally got around to ordering a GCraft aluminum arm from Steady Garage, and installed it yesterday.

First of all, it is MUCH lighter, at 5.2 lbs. it comes in 3 lengths and I got stock as that is the only size that has fender mounts. I have a carbon fiber fender and want to run with one anyway so that was my choice. It comes with 3 of 4 fender mounts due to the different shape, but the 4th one is not needed. What is needed though are shims. The arm uses the stock bushing sleeve and bolt (expected a bit better for the price) and there was too much side-to-side play on the first trial fit. Ordered a bag of 0.25mm thick shims with an inside diameter of 20mm and those did the trick, 2 on each side.

The supplied “instructions” are in Japanese so I scanned them into Google Translator. No mention of a need to shim, and none supplied, but it was obvious that side play wouldn’t be good. And no, the stock o-rings are not used either.

Looks awesome, is very light, and so far, so good. Adjuster mechanism is first-rate, too. BTW, I weighed my bike after, and with this and extensive other mods it tipped my scale at 198 lbs! That was with about half a tank of gas. Couple my weight of 165 lbs and my dyno tuned MNNTHBX 143cc kit, this bike really rips and handles to boot. Loads of fun on our NE PA backroads...

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	326EA8F0-2959-4421-8B34-343FF17034C5.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	23535   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F878C54-0076-493F-8F71-FCCA0AEB608A.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	23537   Click image for larger version

Name:	CFCF964A-5008-4221-A94E-8B859D675602.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	23539   Click image for larger version

Name:	A0F89AC7-2D50-4127-922F-BD6E4C513204.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	23541  
Kaw'ee, dlycan2, Ando and 1 others like this.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:51 PM

Nice. Pricey piece, but not really too bad for what you get.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
were did you get the rear carbon fiber fender

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morn money View Post
were did you get the rear carbon fiber fender
Both fenders and the engine cowl are available in carbon fiber, and I got all 3 from Tyga USA. Beautiful items and they look great on the bike.

Carbon and Bodywork | Tyga-USA

JW
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Garage
thanks

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 PM

Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiseman View Post
Was never happy with the look of the stock swingarm and the chain adjusters, and the latter are not the highest of quality. Understatement, I know. First thing I did was remove all the junky stickers and get OTB adjusters. The stock swingarm doesn’t have good machining tolerances and I could not get one of the OTB adjusters to fit properly even with grinding. Got tired of this set up and took the arm off to have it powder coated Kawasaki green. Not a bad look, but then added Area 22 adjusters as they were a bit better fit. But what I really noticed is just how heavy the stock arm is - 11 lbs on my scale! So I finally got around to ordering a GCraft aluminum arm from Steady Garage, and installed it yesterday.

First of all, it is MUCH lighter, at 5.2 lbs. it comes in 3 lengths and I got stock as that is the only size that has fender mounts. I have a carbon fiber fender and want to run with one anyway so that was my choice. It comes with 3 of 4 fender mounts due to the different shape, but the 4th one is not needed. What is needed though are shims. The arm uses the stock bushing sleeve and bolt (expected a bit better for the price) and there was too much side-to-side play on the first trial fit. Ordered a bag of 0.25mm thick shims with an inside diameter of 20mm and those did the trick, 2 on each side.

The supplied “instructions” are in Japanese so I scanned them into Google Translator. No mention of a need to shim, and none supplied, but it was obvious that side play wouldn’t be good. And no, the stock o-rings are not used either.

Looks awesome, is very light, and so far, so good. Adjuster mechanism is first-rate, too. BTW, I weighed my bike after, and with this and extensive other mods it tipped my scale at 198 lbs! That was with about half a tank of gas. Couple my weight of 165 lbs and my dyno tuned MNNTHBX 143cc kit, this bike really rips and handles to boot. Loads of fun on our NE PA backroads...

JW
Your bike looks great. How do you like the 143 kit?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z125danny View Post
Your bike looks great. How do you like the 143 kit?
Thanks! LOVE the 143cc kit. Not too hard to install (see a previous post of mine on the subject) and a reasonable price for the large performance gain. I had it dyno tuned and it pulls hard right up to the rev limiter. Put 600 miles on it so far with no issues.

JW
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Very nice!
jwiseman likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Thanks for your post !!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page