First Service - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

First Service

Just under 600 miles on my bike and getting everything rounded up to do the first service myself. I got a magnetic oil plug m12 x1.5, k&n 112, oem o ring for filter cap, and a quart of Lucas 10w-40 motorcycle with wet clutch oil. I also picked up the three pack chain cleaner and lube from Maxima. My plan is to wash the bike and clean the chain, change oil, check chain for proper amount of play and adjust if needed and then lube. I often look at the brake fluid window as it's in plain sight and it's still all the way full and I adjusted the clutch cable about 100 miles ago as the clutch was sloppy and I would pull it in a good distance before it would engage. Any other suggestions or bits of advice?
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:12 PM

You have 600 miles on your bike and you haven't lubed or adjusted your chain?
Kawasaki Brad likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:15 PM

Garage
^ Agreed, that thing has to be flapping around in the breeze by now. I didn't make it 80 miles before my chains were too loose.

If you're feeling anal it's not a bad idea to buy a new clutch cover gasket and oil screen and replace the oil screen. The factory uses inspection paint on the bolts in the engine and that paint chips off and clogs the screen. Probably a few larger chips of metal from the gears as well.

It's pretty common for these screens to be roughly 1/3 clogged just after break-in. So while it won't hurt anything to use 2/3 of your oil screen, it's even better to use the whole thing. While you have it in your hand marvel at the fact that Honda doesn't equip the Grom with anything more than that dinky screen.

A little late for tbswope but for others reading this thread prepping for the first service I would do it all sooner. We've already touched on the chain, it stretches... a lot. Check it every time you go for a ride. I also recommend dropping the oil and replacing the filter between 100-200 miles. My bike got new oil (no filter) at 18 miles and I still found plenty of sparkles at 200 miles. No reason to let that circulate for another 400 miles.

K&N has had bad press with oil filters literally falling apart. Consider yourself warned. (No judgement here though, I'm personally working my way through my stash to get to my OEMs for the longer maintenance periods)

Dropped a gear... ...still here

Last edited by Ando; 06-12-2019 at 06:18 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 PM

Garage
I did the first oil change at 100 miles. Clutch and chain adjusted at the same time. As a track bike its not racking up the mileage but I will likely do another oil change after the next race and then check on that chain again at the same time. These little things can't last till the 600 Mile first recommended service.... However lubing every 600 is fair I think.

Ride Safe
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Ando I'll get get one of those gaskets and screens you mentioned, makes since to get that screen cleaned out. As far as waiting to long to do the first service I was just going by the manual and haven't noticed hearing the chain making noise or it riding any different. I just go around town on it and 95% of me riding has been 45 mph or less. Don't know if that means I'm not riding it as hard as other guys or not. Once everything gets here and I get it taken care of I'll let you guys know what I find with the chain.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Just check the slack at every gas fill up and make a mental note if it needs to be adjusted. Checking takes 2 seconds and it can save you from having a very bad day. A buddy of mine had the chain come off the rear sprocket on his magna as he was riding down the road. Chain got jammed up and locked up his rear wheel. SOMEHOW that lucky SOB kept the rubber side down... but man was that a sight to see.

Reason I check chain slack during fill ups is that gas stations have paper towels so you don't get **** on your fingers. It also ensures that the certain maintenance items get checked at reasonable intervals.
tbswope and Ando like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
Huh, I guess I didn't realize the manual recommended 600 as the first interval. No shame in following the manual I guess. Though the manual does say to do a 10 point check including chain slack and lube, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I bought new and the sales guy walked me through the break-in as they recommended. Never realized the 100-200 mile oil change wasn't a Kawi thing. Then again, they want you to wait until 6000 miles to check valve clearances too. (☉_☉)
tbswope likes this.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Was looking how to get access to the screen for the oil pump and found the service manual at this link. https://manualzz.com/doc/27588434/z1...service-manual
It states in the section about oil screen removal "Clean the screen thoroughly whenever the engine oil is changed." Kind of curious why the owners manual doesn't mention this bit of advice. Thanks Ando for pointing it out to me and getting me on the right track. Also, thanks crakerjac for the advice on checking the chain, will definitely start doing the gas up and chain check procedure.

Last edited by tbswope; 06-13-2019 at 10:41 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Though the manual does say to do a 10 point check including chain slack and lube, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Just saw the Daily Checks section your talking about, I have definitely slacked on all of those not just the Drive Chain. I was looking at the Maintenance Schedule and it shows Drive chain lubrication every 400 and Drive chain slack every 600. I knew I was over on checking the lubrication but figured not riding in the rain and a visual look of it not being rusty was ok until the 600 mile mark. This manual contradicts itself just a little a bit.

The place I bought it from did a here's how you turn it on watch out that it's not in gear and the side stand is down or it won't start, otherwise have fun and bring it back at 600 miles we will do the service for you at a reasonable price.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 AM

Garage
Yeah, I do "as needed" service for chain clean/lube.

Honestly I think everything about the chain is boilerplate language from Kawi's other bikes. 600 miles sounds perfectly fine for a high quality chain (after initial break-in stretch). Unfortunately our chain is not that.

Don't feel too bad, dealer went above and beyond on certain things like maintenance schedule but they also didn't know how to properly route the vent hoses and let me ride 30 miles home with 10 psi in the tires. ಠ_ಠ

Sure accelerated the break-in of the tires though. They were HOT when I got home.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page