Bike popping into lower gear - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Bike popping into lower gear

Hows it going guys.

So recently my bike started popping into lower gears. This happened before at around 500 miles, now it is happening again at 1200 miles. I'll get a solid shift and maybe 3 seconds after I'm in the next gear it'll pop from 4th to 3rd. Today it popped from 3rd to 2nd and brought the revs all the way to redline, then when I got home I smelled something harsh.

Also my shifting sounds louder than it used to.

Is this something an oil change or a clutch lever adjustment will fix? I've been told other people have the issue at around 500 miles but my bike is pretty much broken in at this point. I haven't adjusted the clutch lever yet but it doesnt seem like it needs it. Also the dealership did my last oil change and I'm not sure what they put in...
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:48 PM

When was your last oil change? Also, don't be so lazy with your shifts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
When was your last oil change? Also, don't be so lazy with your shifts.
Oil was changed at 200 miles and dealer changed it at 650. It sounds like its shifting clunky

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:37 PM

I had the same problem the other day... Only 410 km's on my bike... That same day I was down shifting coming to a light and it got stuck in neutral and I couldn't get it out... Had to really kick it down way harder than u should be... Did an oil change and rode it around for a few hours .. It hasn't happened since I did the oil change... Used some royal purple max cycle

CRAZY FROG RULES!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 PM

Garage
Would gladly help you but your the only one leaving TROLL comments on my YouTube page ..

[Quote : Ozcomz : Ozcomz

1 week ago
I like chicks as much as the next guy but seriously anyone who posts a useless video like this with click bait obviously doesn't ride. I can see biker chicks on Instagram anytime I want. Thanks for nothing. ]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaw'ee

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Oh jeez... my bad kaw'ee. I didn't realize that was your page. I know for a fact you ride lol. I need to read before posting stuff like that...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw'ee View Post
Would gladly help you but your the only one leaving TROLL comments on my YouTube page ..[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/Z125owners/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG]

[Quote : Ozcomz : Ozcomz

1 week ago
I like chicks as much as the next guy but seriously anyone who posts a useless video like this with click bait obviously doesn't ride. I can see biker chicks on Instagram anytime I want. Thanks for nothing. ]
I sent you a PM about this
Kaw'ee likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:58 AM

Garage
Thanks for the PM. Glad to see your a stand up guy, just with a slight ornery streak
The smell and louder sound is hopefully just because you worried there might be a problem and paying a lot more attention than normal

The Z' shifting issue is mostly from lazy shifting and more off the bikes fault than the rider, even when most will feel their clickin it in good enough.

Only seen the 1 back out gear tension screw today. otherwise I've seen no posts on actual gear box problems since the initial release of the bike.
Not that yours might have a real problem.
The ergonomics of the peg to shifter and the stock position are more of the problem.
The ERGO fix is remove the shiftier a clock it down one spline.
Your foot on the peg will travel a lot further down than it will up
Or...
do the hyme joint linkage so you can set it exactly where it needs to be for your natural riding position and foot ergos

https://www.z125owners.com/forum/wha...t-shifter.html
And full synthetic oil seems to help the shifting a lot from those that post it and say it all but went away after switching.
I would doubt the dealer put in synthetic oil

Loose Engine mount bolts dont help .
I'm sure you seen all the post about the rear/lower bolt being loose

Check chain slack. if you have the stock chain it needs tighten every 500 miles almost.

If clutch lever has 1/8" slack at the lever should be all good there
dont even need to use the clutch as long as you let up on the throttle while shifting.
4 easy maybes before digging into the engine.
ozcomz likes this.

Kaw'ee

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw'ee View Post
Thanks for the PM. Glad to see your a stand up guy, just with a slight ornery streak

Yes that's me... lol

Thanks for the reply. I imagine if I can find a way to adjust the shifter location that is what I'll try. Along with an oil change. Chain slack was just adjusted so maybe I over tightened it.

According to Facebook this issue is experienced with a few more people as well. I guess it is more common than I thought.

Exploring other motorcycle forums on this topic people say the dog teeth of the transmission might be bad. But this isn't likely since it only has 1200 miles on it and this isn't my first manual vehicle (I drive stick) So I know how to shift. Other people are saying they experience this at around the 500 mile mark. Definitely not the dog teeth.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcomz View Post

I imagine if I can find a way to adjust the shifter location
Imagine this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SHIFTER POSITION.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	23319  

Kaw'ee

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page