Removing Ethanol from gas ? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Removing Ethanol from gas ?

UH ............ Really ?

Not going to google this one myself, way to much trouble to me.
But if it actually works thinking some here would want to check it out more

Old Guys Rule

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaw'ee
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
Yes it works... but your octane rating will be way lower than what's on the pump. For that old Harley, it is probably fine because the gas back then was pretty crumby compared to today. I would sooner use something like Lucas Safeguard and change the jets in the carb. to account for the leaner fuel density.

His adding the 2 stroke oil back in makes the octane rating (resistance to explosion) go back up because the oil does not burn. But also requires the jets to be made even bigger.
Kaw'ee likes this.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 PM

I remove ethanol from the gas I use in my bikes. It makes a HUGE difference. The bikes run smoother and power delivery is as well.

Starting with 91 octane E10, after ethanol removal you end up with roughly 88 octane. Adding 2 stroke oil to the gas will NOT raise its octane rating. It actually makes it lower. Adding 2 stroke oil would be raising the cetane level. Beneficial to a diesel, but not a gas engine. But what it does do is act as an upper cylinder lubricant. Which works wonders for these little air cooled mills.

As far as adding octane, the only thing ive found that works is RaceGas concentrate. But it leaves orange deposits on the spark plug. Enough that it warrants a removal, cleaning and regapping after 300 or so miles.

My mix for nonethanol gas is 5 gallons de-ethanated gas, 1/4 oz synthetic 2 stroke or Marvel Mystery Oil and 1 oz of RaceGas concentrate.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Oh and the method for ethanol removal does work and it extremely simple.

Ethanol is hygroscopic and bonds with water. As soon as water it introduced to the gas/ethanol mix, phase seperation begins and the alcohol comes out of solution and settles to the bottom with the water. Thats why bikes and lawn mowers stored for long periods with e10 gas in them have rusty tanks and gummed up carbs.

For every 5 gallons of gas, I add 1 litre of water dyed blue with food coloring. Shake it up and let it sit for 8 hours, then siphon, pour, or drain off the blue layer.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Garage
Good info here all around.

Not trying to be a dick here, but is it rare for me to be able to ride up to a pump and get non-oxy gas? I have three within a 2 mile radius of my home and 4 within a 3 mile radius of my work. Heck, one of them even carries leaded gas.

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:00 PM

We don't have that luxury here in Commiefornia... State government mandated use of Alcohol as a "sustainable fuel" despite the fact that theres proof that its bad for vented fuel systems. ****, they wanna get ride of Internal Combustion Engines here by 2030 altogether. The new muffler law fines are part of that. "If we can't outright outlaw them, lets regulate and price them out of it the same way we're trying to do with guns!"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:14 PM

Garage
Yeesh. To think I was irked when I couldn't get pure dino-diesel anywhere in the state.

I've been moving my metaphorical chips from fun ICE cars to motorcycles, thinking they will get ignored when IC engines get banned. Hopefully our blue state doesn't follow the nut cases in CA.

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
In my area of NY it can be hit or miss to finding alcohol free fuel. But there are more stations putting in alcohol free fuels if you want to pay for it, some of the better ones have nozzles (and pumps) for 87 and a second set for 90. The 90 goes in my Harley, or would if I ever felt stable enough to ride it again. Same for the race bike, but it gets tuned up to about 104 with Torco Accelerator additive. 13:1 kind of dictates fuel that high, though I could probably get away with 98 which would save a lot of additive.

My site:

Youtube channel:

Last edited by Greg_E; 06-12-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:15 PM

Garage
And all that said, the RACE fuel I used to use was around 15 to 20% alcohol, 105 octane, and went like crazy, was some good stuff but at $80 for 5 gallons and several hours to go and buy it, I had to find a different way. Torco Accelerator seems like the way to go forward right now. Only $20 shipped from Summit Racing for enough to make 5 gallons of 104 or 105 (starting with 90 or 91). https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tic-f500010te

https://torcoracefuel.net/products/torco-accelerator

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:12 PM

Thats cool and all, and yes higher alcohol is higher octane. But for 1, alcohol carries less energy than pure gasoline. That much alcohol will only benefit extremely high compression motors like th 13:1 in your race bike. 105 octane Nonethanol will make more HP than comparable ethanol enriched fuel on the same jetting, timing etc. The pure gas will run hotter temps though.

The biggest problem is phase seperation. Take a cup of that race gas and put 3 drops of water into it. Then let it sit for an hour and you'll see a whole layer of alcohol that seperates out. That layer will start to rust out your tank. Its more of a problem in areas with big temperature swings that would cause condensation inside a tank.

Lots of folks properly do a full tank winterize on their bikes here and go to start them in the spring only to find that their carbs are corroded and gummed up and their tank bottoms rusted

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page