Rider down - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Rider down

Yesterday was not my day. On my way to work, teenage girl in front of me jams on her brakes for some geese in the ditch (not in or on the side of the road). I locked up front and rear tires and managed to keep the bike upright long enough to smash into hear rear bumper (and not in a good/kinky kinda way).

On the upside, I got to make some new friends and got some sweet new (to me) shorts out of the deal. I walked away with only a few stitches in my kneecap and a broken wrist... and some bruising. Turns out I opted for full coverage... don't remember opting for that coverage, but i'm not going to argue about it.... Anyways, sounds like the bike might be a total loss. I've never dealt with that on a bike, let alone one with accessories. Anyone have suggestions on how to play this? Do I buy it back? Convince the adjuster it's not a total loss? Pull all accessories off the bike?

Kawasaki Brad likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:03 PM

Garage
Glad you're ok. Not sure what the insurance is like in the states but when things like that happen in Canada.................bend over and hope for the best.

Good luck!

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Garage
Good to hear your alright man!!.. Hopefully ya heal up quick and can get back out there!!

CRAZY FROG RULES!!!

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:54 PM

I would go and look through your insurance policy and see what it says about accessories. My bikes have a certain amount of accessory coverage. If my bike gets damaged the accessories are covered too. If you don't have accessory coverage pull them and put it back to stock.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Glad you're ok. Are the forks or frame damaged? Can't tell from the pics.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:29 PM

My insurance policy comes with $3K worth of insurance on mods. Many policies do. All I have to do is provide the receipts (if it gets stolen) I suspect the same if it's totaled. Round up all your receipts and have them handy.

Also remember - insurance adjusters are not your friend. They are there to keep money in the hands of the insurance co. Be there when he's looking at your bike and be sure to point out every freakin little thing.

Then cash out and just buy a new bike.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

All good points. I have 3k in accessory coverage. Thinking about buying it back if the price is right. I could buy new... But if the process for a rebuilt title is straight forward, I might go that route. It's not like these bike hold much value anyways.

Forks look straight, but there appears to be some marring on the finish. Wouldn't bother me, but probably the item that will make it a total loss.

Just sucks. Installed a new Racing Bros shock <2 weeks ago.

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:54 AM

CJ Glad you're ok man.

If you buy it back it will be salvage. You will need your state DMV or BMV to inspect it then issue a rebuilt title. Kind of a PITA. And then the bike is forever tainted as a "rebuilt" and is only worth about 50% on the market.

If they do total it and you do not buy it back I would strip off all the good stuff before they come to pick it up.

The first offer you get from insurance is just a starting point you can negotiate the number. Having receipts for upgrades will be helpful. Maybe a maintenance log. Installation (most likely by you) of all that stuff is worth something too. Even if they pay you for add ons and you end up totaling the bike I would still strip off the good parts before they take it.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
Not all adjusters are jerks, sometimes they write up the little things to be more serious and get you a decent amount of money.

But how can that bike be totaled? ($600 worth of plastic and maybe a few fork parts, that can't come up to $1800 or so to total it.

Note that if they look at it, and those extra parts are installed, they will expect those parts to be included if they total it and take it. Put stock stuff back before the adjuster looks at it if you want it to be a total loss.

Quote:
If you buy it back it will be salvage. You will need your state DMV or BMV to inspect it then issue a rebuilt title. Kind of a PITA. And then the bike is forever tainted as a "rebuilt" and is only worth about 50% on the market.
I've known people that did this and it works out fine for them, it really varies state to state and requires a bunch of run around with the bike on a trailer until the process and paperwork are complete. Most states should have this info on their DMV websites.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

I don't want it to be a total loss... Don't really want to start over... but a 300CC Grom (done right) does sound like fun...

Talked to the guy who manages my homeowners policy. Awesome dude. Sounds like my accessories are covered at market value, so if my Zoom exhaust is listed at $260 online, that's what they will pay out. Only advantage I get by pulling the parts is not waiting on shipping for new parts.

[This space for rent]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page