Aracer rcmini 5 engine management ecu - Page 3 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502Z125 View Post
Ok Bluedart, thanks for sharing your Aracer experience/info with us!! You have been very helpful and I really appreciate it!! How much did your entire Aracer setup cost you for everything and where did you buy all of it at?

In my earlier post, I made a mistake and said that I got it through Steady Garage. I went back and realized that I got it from DROW.

It was just under $750 shipped

Edit: this was for:
Mini5 ECU
AFM Module
and a 1 to 4 extend cable (must have this if you are adding the AFM Module)

Last edited by Bluedart; 12-03-2018 at 10:50 AM.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Garage
Compared to piggy back devices, this is a better way to do thing (my opinion). The other way to do things would be to program the stock ECU, but this may not be possible because they replaced the ECU for the stalling recall, not flashed a program to fix it. Hoping someone proves me wrong and brings out free or cheap software to tune the stock ECU.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Location: Parksville (Vancouver Island), British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Compared to piggy back devices, this is a better way to do thing (my opinion). The other way to do things would be to program the stock ECU, but this may not be possible because they replaced the ECU for the stalling recall, not flashed a program to fix it. Hoping someone proves me wrong and brings out free or cheap software to tune the stock ECU.
Agree.

Jim G

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Hoping someone proves me wrong and brings out free or cheap software to tune the stock ECU.

It's probably cheaper to replace the ECU than flashing the ECU in the outside world. Once you release that to a dealer, it's only a matter of time before its out in the wild. If I had to venture a guess, ALL Kawasaki ECUs are flashed the same way, so you risk more than just opening up the Z125.

[This space for rent]
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
It's probably cheaper to replace the ECU than flashing the ECU in the outside world. Once you release that to a dealer, it's only a matter of time before its out in the wild. If I had to venture a guess, ALL Kawasaki ECUs are flashed the same way, so you risk more than just opening up the Z125.

Then maybe we can find a developer to open them all up? I'd pay $100 for an application that was written well and build my own USB to serial interface cable to talk to the ECU.

Just please do not do this like a Harley, the interface gets locked to the serial number of the ECU so you can not use it on other bikes.
'

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:09 PM

Location: Parksville (Vancouver Island), British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Then maybe we can find a developer to open them all up? I'd pay $100 for an application that was written well and build my own USB to serial interface cable to talk to the ECU.

Just please do not do this like a Harley, the interface gets locked to the serial number of the ECU so you can not use it on other bikes.
'
It's pretty hard to re-use a Dynojet or Bazzaz on a differnt bike though too, as you need to remove all the wiring as well, and undo the damag done to the bike's wiring harness when tapping into it.

Also, a developer CANNOT make a tuning device that is fully portable from one bike to another if it is not required to be on the bike at all times. If he does, he gets ONE sale for all the work he did, and then the first buyer can give away, or SELL, tunes to anyone with the same model of bike, using the ONE tuner bought from the developer. No developer would make that mistake.

THAT's why the Harley solution works the way it does.

The advantage though is that there is no add-on device on the bike, no tapping into the bike's wiring harness, and you can get your bike dynotuned anywhere as well and have that final tune saved from your bike to your computer for safekeeping.

I had that Harley setup - the aftermarket "Powervision" version, not the brain-impaired Harle-Davidson version, and LOVED it. For ease of use example: whenever I changed the gearing, I could correct the speedometer with a simple change of a numerical entry in the software. Very easy.

Jim G
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:01 PM

Hopefully the guys who figured out how to re-flash the Honda ECUs will start on the Z125. Sounds like you need to buy their USB dongle and then you can flash to your hearts content.

[This space for rent]
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:14 PM

Garage
Coming from Buell where all you need is a cheap USB to serial cable with the correct connector, and a cheap application, all these other solutions are not very nice!

The harley stuff seems to employ encryption or some form of hardware coded handshake, else it would be easy to reverse it. Pretty sure most other companies use a similar method to protect the programming.

My site:

Youtube channel:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page