Z000 Amateur (electric Z build) - Page 5 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 23Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the kind words!

On ground clearance and bottoming out - no it shouldn't be a problem. I tried to match the stock ground clearance and removing the exhaust helps a lot with that. Here is a GIF to show between stock photo and my bike https://imgur.com/a/ogllqwF. I didn't actually realize the stretch was so pronounced until just now making this GIF. Clearance to the rear corner of the battery box is about 8 inches. I've never really been one to put stickers on my vehicles but from this angle I kind of agree it would look better with something to break up the flat battery box plates.

I just brought my bathroom scale down to the garage to get a weight: 116.4 lb front and 138.6 lb rear (255 total). The factor service manual lists 106 front and 117 rear. I'm not sure if that includes fuel and oil (~20 lb?) but the battery, motor, and on-board charger definitely add some weight.

MindThreat - Ha! not planning on making kits but I'm happy to help if you want to tackle your own project! To be totally honest most of this isn't super complicated, just need to take your time and learn as you go. Don't be scared to start a project just because you aren't sure how to finish it. For this one, there are a ton of resources online so most of the work is just laying everything out and fabricating brackets.

Greg - Yeah there are for sure some exiting new battery improvements in the works! In theory I should get a few years out of this pack and then maybe will be able to upgrade to something with better performance and range.
MindThreat likes this.

Last edited by Andrew Manny; 08-17-2019 at 02:16 AM.
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:20 AM

Garage
I seem to recall that the stock ~225lb weight is with oil and half a tank of fuel. 255 is still very light, very cool.

How does it handle compared to your memory of the stock bike? A good portion of that weight is tied up in the hub motor which I would expect to be noticeable, I'm just not certain how.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Awesome job! I love to see this kind of creativity.

I poked in here at the beginning and it looked interesting and got back just in time for the ending.

How is the off the line torque? That's always been a high point of electric bikes.

I like the idea of the Mr. Fusion sticker, hahah.

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I seem to recall that the stock ~225lb weight is with oil and half a tank of fuel. 255 is still very light, very cool.

How does it handle compared to your memory of the stock bike? A good portion of that weight is tied up in the hub motor which I would expect to be noticeable, I'm just not certain how.
Handling is still excellent but I do think it is noticeably harder to dive into a turn quickly. I suspect you are exactly right attributing it to weight in the hub motor. I think the reduced turn-in is a not so much the overall added weight, but actually the gyro effect from the heavy spinning hub motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Awesome job! I love to see this kind of creativity.

I poked in here at the beginning and it looked interesting and got back just in time for the ending.

How is the off the line torque? That's always been a high point of electric bikes.

I like the idea of the Mr. Fusion sticker, hahah.
Yes it is definitely quicker off the line. I'm confident it is faster than stock, and I also think not having to shift or interrupt the acceleration makes you feel like it is even faster than it is. By the time you get into the 40s or 50s the acceleration is pretty mild.
Ando likes this.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info Andrew!

I stumbled upon some of those 125cc mini jeeps (challengers or coolsters) and instantly thought of this thread and how cool it would be to even convert one of those for electric like this! They're only about $2k but don't see why it wouldn't work as well.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:28 AM

@Andrew Manny any Updates?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page