Z000 Amateur (electric Z build) - Page 3 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Very cool! Are you having any issues with the wiring jumping around when it hit the throttle? The magnetic impulse can do funny things.
I haven't noticed anything like that yet, but then again I haven't ridden it much yet. Will report here if I do!
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:51 PM

Garage
that is looking good! Impressive job

Ride Safe
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

100 mile update: still fun!

Everything is holding up well so far and I rode back and forth to work a few times last week. A few thoughts:
  • It is definitely faster than the stock Z, but certainly not crazy fast. Acceleration is faster and I can hit 60 mph without much trouble where as I felt like it took a lot of runway and a full tuck to pass 60 with the engine. I am still messing with the controller settings for throttle timing, max current draw, etc.
  • The weirdest thing is lack of noise. It is totally silent at all speeds and just smoothly pulls you up to speed without interruption.
  • I'm not exactly sure what my range is yet since I haven't run it all the way down to empty. I have an adapter that lets me use the J1772 chargers at work so it has been easy to stay charged.
  • I am probably still being more timid than I was on the stock bike since I have this tiny fear in the back of my mind that it will all just fall apart (and then catch on fire)... hasn't happened yet, not even once! But I think I will get more comfortable and push it harder as I ride more.
  • Having a reverse gear for backing out of parking spaces is pretty cool, even on a bike this light.

This week, I also received my load cell amplifier so I got the rear brake load cell wired in. This actually feels fantastic, hard to tell it isn't a real mechanical brake and I know it is improving my range. There is no "engine braking" so you feel like you are coasting forever until you engage the rear brake regen.

The bike still looks bad because I can't get the fairings back on until I reattach the fuel tank. I think I want to mount the charger inside the tank, but there are a few things to figure out first.
Kaw'ee and Ando like this.

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:22 PM

Garage
Nice!

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

I got to work on the onboard (tank mounted) charger.

The first step was to cut the bottom out of the tank. The cut isn't very clean since I only have a dremel, but I filed down the sharp edges and you won't actually be able to see this side of the tank anyway.

Then the charger fits inside (barely) and is fastened with square U-bolts to a bracket spanning the opening. For the picture, everything is in there temporarily since I want to add some foam padding where the U-bolts clamp and also run a bead of RTV around the opening to further soften the edges. I'll cut off the excess U-bolt length after that too.

I like how it looks from the other side. This is a J1772 connector which I have at the charging stations at my work. I was able to fit the stock silver trim ring around the plug housing.

Once I get this finished and re-install the tank, I'll be able to put the fairings back on and this project will be pretty much wrapped up.
Ando likes this.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:14 AM

Garage
Not sure if this stuff will fit, but gives an idea for around the cut metal https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...203/11405059-P

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Not sure if this stuff will fit, but gives an idea for around the cut metal https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...203/11405059-P
Oh nice, that's a good idea. Looks like pretty much exactly what I want!
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 PM

Man, if Kawasaki ever makes an electric version of this bike, I'm all over it!
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:06 PM

Garage
There should be a few other sizes of that stuff, if not you can order what you need online from a bunch of places. You can get it in black rubber, black nylon, white nylon, and probably a bunch of PVC plastics too. You might find it in the electrical section of big box home stores, used as edging for electrical panels when you use a knock-out.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:14 PM

Garage
I can't wait to see the final result, that is some good work!

Ride Safe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page