Z000 Amateur (electric Z build) - Page 2 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Can you get those motors in a 12 inch wheel? The 13 seems really odd!

I'm wondering if this would be a good way to make a custom race bike frame, wouldn't need to fit the frame to the motor which should make it easier to design. This is still one of my goals, I want to make a mini GP bike that really fits adults, so slightly longer frame, etc. I was going to design around something like a TTR125 motor or maybe one of the turnkey engines that you can buy. But an electric would be SO COOL! Especially if I could pop off a bunch of tool batteries after practice/qualifying for the race.

My only concern about hub motors would be the temperature, how much heat will it be pushing into the tire and will it over cook the tire when you are running a race?
Yeah it is a weird size and limits tire choices too. Unfortunately their 12" wheels only go up to 5kW and I wanted the extra power. Also since it is direct drive the larger tire will get you a little more top speed for the same max motor RPM.

I'm not too sure how much heat to expect in the tire. I'll have to ride it hard and report back. The motor does have a temperature sensor so the controller will monitor and can reduce current above a certain threshold (recommended 100 deg C). The motor rated power is for continuous operation and I wouldn't be able to use 8kW continuously unless I was trying to keep up with highway traffic for extended time so I don't expect issues with street riding.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

I got everything arranged on the bike this weekend to see how it all fits. Overall I like how it looks!

The battery fits in there well and doesn't really look all that out of place. The controller is a really tight fit on top of it but I think it works there. Right now I don't have it mounted firmly but I can make a bracket to tie into those bolt holes on the side of the frame. I need to relocate the horn too so that will have to attach to this custom bracket as well. I'm not sure if the fairings fit over this yet but I've got my fingers crossed.

The wheel/motor will sit slightly behind where the stock one was. I'm making a plug that goes into the back of the swingarm and provides the slotted mount to hold the motor axle. The cable bundle from the motor runs up along the inside of the chain guard toward the controller.

Once I took the battery and ECU out, the DC-DC converter (72V battery step down to 12V to run lights and gauges) and the main contactor fit in there. Honestly I don't think I need a particularly sturdy mount for these, some zip ties or heavy rubber bands will probably work.

Next step is to pull the battery box back out and cut the spacers that will make sure it holds in this position where I like it. Then I'll get it and the other components mounted permanently and start to finalize the wiring.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
Looks like your using and made a mount for the VDS ?
With No ECU, are you using it for another function of some kind
Just love the MacGyver stuff

Nothing but mad respect from me for someone with a passion to mod things so much there willing to do it in a parking garage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaw'ee
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage
And just because you didnt post in the "New Members Introduction" thread, dont think for one minute your getting by me without a welcome Logo
Welcome to the forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	267026156_9 - Copy.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	23263  
MindThreat likes this.

Kaw'ee

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

I love the logo! I'm keeping it!

Yeah I don't actually have anything mounted firmly yet in those picture but that is the plan. I didn't make a whole lot of progress lately but hopefully will have time to get everything fixed permanently next weekend. Regarding the stock ECU, I can't think of any reason why I'd still need it. The engine is gone and I'm getting rid of the stock gauges too so there doesn't seem to be anything for the ECU to control.

Today I did get the battery box fixed up and installed for good. I painted everything black, then added a strip of black plastic around the battery. This looks a lot better than bare aluminum and the blue battery plus I think the plastic will help protect against small rocks and debris kicked up by the front tire.

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

I'm back! It's been a while since I typed up an update, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working.

Things were getting a little tight with the new components so I also freed up some space by getting rid of the unnecessary wiring. There are a whole lot of wires once I cut the harness open and I really gave those Harbor Freight wire cutters a good workout. I even got a little too snip-happy and cut off the horn (oops). The only thing I really wanted to keep was the lighting circuit. However, it turns out everything runs through the speedometer so once I got rid of that I needed a separate standalone flasher relay. It works now and I reduced the the wiring by a lot.

I have a few more components permanently mounted to the Z000 now too. I figured out some brackets once I had everything mocked up and I made them over the last two weekends. I don't have a lot in the way of tools and workshop space so everything takes longer than it should.

The controller packages tightly right above the battery and picks up the old airbox mounts. There is barely any space with steering at full lock, but it does it.

The DC-DC converter goes under the seat, where the battery used to be. This steps the 72V supply down to 12V to run the lighting circuit or any accessories.

I also got the wheel/motor installed! The bike looks super clean from the right side. I'm just hoping I can package everything tightly enough to make it look good from the other side too. You can see the electric throttle is installed too and the original mirrors.

I really think I'm in the home stretch now, but there is still a decent amount of work to go. I have to get the new speedometer mounted and then I have a lot of wiring to do. I'm also planning to have no mechanical rear brake and use the pedal for regenerative braking, but that's for another post. Can't wait to ride this thing!
Kaw'ee and Ando like this.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

It's alive!
https://youtu.be/4aAYS7C-tMs
crakerjac likes this.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Hope everyone had a great 4th!

Between cookouts and fireworks, I managed to get the high voltage wiring trimmed and connected in final configuration (as opposed to the jumper cable mess from the video in the above post). I also worked through the low voltage circuit to get the lights and speedometer working. Everything seems great right now, but I might have to re-calibrate the speedometer once I actually get riding. There is a lot more going on now and the wiring is about as busy as it was with the old engine. Everything will have to get stuffed into a bundle and taped against the frame rail.

I also mounted, but haven't wired in, the rear brake. Like I mentioned, I'm ditching the mechanical brake in favor of regen only for the rear wheel. I figure emergency stops pretty much all come from the front tire anyway, especially with a wheelbase this short. The motor controller accepts a 0-5V signal to control regen so I am getting this signal with a load cell. I mounted the load cell using a custom bracket off the rear brake master cylinder tab and the other end goes to the brake pedal. Since I think a fully rigid brake pedal would feel weird, I used rubber bushings in the mounting holes so there is a tiny bit of compliance like a real brake pedal. The output from the load cell will run through an amplifier to get the 0-5V signal for the motor controller.

I have a small punchlist of miscellaneous items to work on, then will bundle up the wiring neatly against the frame before reattaching the plastics.
Kaw'ee likes this.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

I cleaned up the wiring today and (finally) managed to bead the tire with the help of a ratchet strap. Then I went for a real quick ride just up and down the block! Wow, this thing is fun.

...details and more pictures coming soon. There's still work to do but for now I'm just sitting here with a stupid grin on my face.

Kind of hard to tell in the photo but the wiring is pretty tight against the frame now and I think the fairings will cover it. I might actually leave the plastics off for a little bit just in case any rework pops up on the first few rides and so I can check if anything is getting excessively hot or shaken loose.

Ando likes this.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Garage
Very cool! Are you having any issues with the wiring jumping around when it hit the throttle? The magnetic impulse can do funny things.

My site:

Youtube channel:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page