I'm back! It's been a while since I typed up an update, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working.
Things were getting a little tight with the new components so I also freed up some space by getting rid of the unnecessary wiring. There are a whole lot of wires once I cut the harness open and I really gave those Harbor Freight wire cutters a good workout. I even got a little too snip-happy and cut off the horn (oops). The only thing I really wanted to keep was the lighting circuit. However, it turns out everything runs through the speedometer so once I got rid of that I needed a separate standalone flasher relay. It works now and I reduced the the wiring by a lot.
I have a few more components permanently mounted to the Z000 now too. I figured out some brackets once I had everything mocked up and I made them over the last two weekends. I don't have a lot in the way of tools and workshop space so everything takes longer than it should.
The controller packages tightly right above the battery and picks up the old airbox mounts. There is barely any space with steering at full lock, but it does it.
The DC-DC converter goes under the seat, where the battery used to be. This steps the 72V supply down to 12V to run the lighting circuit or any accessories.
I also got the wheel/motor installed! The bike looks super clean from the right side. I'm just hoping I can package everything tightly enough to make it look good from the other side too. You can see the electric throttle is installed too and the original mirrors.
I really think I'm in the home stretch now, but there is still a decent amount of work to go. I have to get the new speedometer mounted and then I have a lot of wiring to do. I'm also planning to have no mechanical rear brake and use the pedal for regenerative braking, but that's for another post. Can't wait to ride this thing!