How did you break in your motor? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

How did you break in your motor?

Just wondering how guys are breaking in the motor.

Wondering what you guys have been doing for break-in period.

Attached is instructions as per owners manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z125 Break-In.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	23985  
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Here's what I've been doing:

I warmup for 2-3 minutes before each ride, and I accelerate normally (NO full throttle) and I upshift at 5K-6K rpm. Most zones around me are 35mph so I am kind of stuck cruising at 6K rpm which is I believe 38mph in top gear. I push it a little bit sometimes to 6,200 rpm if traffic is moving a bit faster.

I can just go on YouTube and I see bike reviewers hop on brand new Grom or Z125 Pro and they are just running full throttle every shift and running top speed and I just feel bad for the bike.
I wonder who would buy a brand new Grom or Z125 Pro that has been test driven because guaranteed it's been ridden like ****.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:48 PM

Garage
I take it easy for the first couple tanks running at a varied rpm (no redline) and going through all the gears. After that drive it like normal.
Race engines (non street legal stuff) get heat cycled a few times in the shop and then a couple dyno pulls. After that it's straight to the starting line.

In my opinion break in procedures are way too excessive and I've never had an issue that could be even remotely associated with "poor break in". It's way more important to change the oil after the first 100-200 miles than it is to baby your throttle for 1000.

Brock Davidson of Brock's performance is someone whom I really respect in the industry. He did an excellent write up a long time ago on his forum. It's a good read and explains some of the antiquated thinking behind excessive break in procedures, as well as some of the detriments.
https://forums.brocksperformance.com...in-update-2012

You are correct in how bikes get test ridden like ****. See it all the time.

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:31 PM

Idk how the first 850 miles were ridden on my bike but every mile after that has been piss pounded. I've seen no ill effects now at 3500 and dont really foresee any in the near future.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:58 PM

rode it like i stole it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 12:48 PM

Whats break in?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:07 AM

Rode her hard. Put her away wet.

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:08 PM

I made sure not to hold a steady rpm for more than a couple minutes. I read something about keeping the load on the engine and rpm changing to help get the rings seated. Stop and go traffic was best an hour at a constant speed was no good. I also saw something on oil, a full synthetic wouldn't allow for good mating of the cylinder wall and piston ring as it was to slippery and you do want some friction to get the two surfaces machined to each other. I went with a semi synthetic for the first oil change. I can't tell you what I did is the perfect way or if it was even needed, but that's what I did.
Ando likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:42 PM

Garage
I've broken in two [mostly] new Zs at this point. I basically just used my ~25 mile commute.

Focused on varying engine load and RPM, tried to stay under 6k where traffic speeds permitted (under 4k is a joke and will get you killed). Always let the engines fully warm up. One or two hard pulls through all the gears per trip, engine braking often for deceleration. Keep any runs above 8k brief. Dino oil changes at 200 and 600 miles, semi-synth at 1000. Good to go.

TL;DR
Rode it like I was going to ride it normally, just with a little extra mechanical sympathy, NO cruising.

Biggest change between break-in and normal use is that I'll ride WOT on 55mph roads for an hour without worry.

It also seems worth mentioning that my 2017 lived its first 15 miles as a pit bike, being wheelied by various racers and toting around family members two-up, but never with a cold engine. It got new oil before I took delivery at 18 mi and has been a peach so far. I think it rides better than the brand new 2018 frankly, but maybe I'm just biased because the '17 is mine.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:48 PM

Honestly? I didn't.

Or maybe I did by accident. This is my first 'real' bike (came from a Buddy 125) so I took it quite easy for the first couple hundred miles, riding it around my neighborhood and a few side streets. Never really opened 'er up for the first 300 miles or so.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page