Z190 - What have I gotten myself into? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Z190 - What have I gotten myself into?

OK boys and girls... I have a twisted feeling in my gut... part excitement, part fear...

I think it was less than a week ago I made a comment along the lines of "I'm a carb guy but I would never rip EFI out of a bike"

I just ordered a Zongshen 190cc motor to wedge into my Z:

https://pitsterpro.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=79

It is branded GPX but it is the same as the Zong. Zong also makes the Japanese Daytona motors that are very popular for pitbike racing (4 valve vs 2 valve head is the difference).

If you use coupon code "zs190" you will get the motor shipped to your door for $640.

Motor comes with all electrical accessories to get it running, a carb, and oil cooler (I confirmed this by calling them, other kits list it but this one does not specifically).

This would be a direct plug and play in a Tao Tao Hellcat 125 (grom clone) so the plan is to pick up a Hellcat wiring harness. Will most likely get Hellcat coil/rectifier/CDI/ignition etc as well... the parts are cheap!

Will need to fabricate or buy brackets to convert Z mounting location to what seems to be industry standard Honda (except for grom) mounting points... seems like a lot of these motors all share the same mounting points.

Pretty much all Z wiring goes away.

Speedometer will need to be aftermarket because Z speedo is tied to engine RPM. Will need one tied to wheel rotation. Not sure about cluster yet.

The motor is a 5 speed with electric and kick start.

You can run 428 or 420 sprockets, chain length TBD.

Power wheelies in 2nd?

Here we go...……..
Ando likes this.
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:26 PM

Oh man, def keep this post updated with the progress. Good or bad. Cant wait to see the final result!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Going on a trip with the Z so it will need to wait a while before I rip into it... going to collect parts in the mean time.

The motor puts out like 22-24 hp!
MindThreat likes this.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvilpirate View Post
Going on a trip with the Z so it will need to wait a while before I rip into it... going to collect parts in the mean time.

Thats insane..... and im sure A LOT of fun.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:42 PM

I'd imagine it can't be that hard to get the OEM cluster working with the ZS190 motor. The cluster has all relays and whatnot to make the indicators work correctly(ish). I thought someone on Facebook spliced into the OEM harness and used the stock ECU to essentially drive the indicator. I'm not sure how the ZS190 and Z125 tach signals differ, but translating between the two shouldn't be too hard...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Holy hellfire that will be fun. Once you've got it up and running I give your girlfriend one ride on it before she asks for the same treatment on the Grom. XD

Quote:
If you use coupon code "zs190" you will get the motor shipped to your door for $640.
That's crazy cheap... Ignoring cost of install that's roughly the same cost as a Bazzaz + auto tune. But instead of an optimistic 15% power gain you net a 300% gain? That's some good maths you have done my friend!

I guess it pays to be old school (and handy).

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:27 PM

my '87 xr250r puts out about 24hp, that would be awesome power for a Z

'18 Z125
'14 M1200
'04 CR250R
'87 XR250R

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!”
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:49 PM

Subscribed!

I'm rebuilding my Z right now cause I blew it up out on track. Steady Garage has a mounting kit for this on their website. I'm really wanting to do the 212cc conversation cause I already have the 194cc TB kit. (NEED MORE POWER!)

It looks like the stock z intake and throttle body will mount right up to this thing? Doesnt it? For the engine wiring, is it just a kill switch/starter that needs to be wired up? What else needs to?

Thanks for updating and being a Guinea pig for the rest of us ☺️
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Not to burst your bubble but the 4V Daytona makes that kind of power, not the 2V ZS190. Reliable dyno figures put it closer to 17HP at the wheel. Take a look in the cylinder head ports to see why. It's a bit disappointing. The head can be ported to increase airflow but there's a reason they are selling them so cheap. Ask me how I know... Oh and it's VERY heavy compared to stock. And then there's the Chinese engine reliability aspect.

If you already have one on order then you will need motor mount brackets like these: https://www.steadygarage.com/store/c...asaki-z125-pro

I am willing to sell my new mount kit and the new engine if anyone wants to make an offer. I never ran it, just bought it, inspected it and THEN did my research. It looked pretty good at first and it's a cheaper alternative to replacing a damaged Kawi engine but it's not a high performance engine, just bigger. It's not what I hoped it would be, so I'm selling it. Probably a great swap into one of those Chinese bikes and a lot easier than fitting it into the Z125. Good luck.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
I thought someone on Facebook spliced into the OEM harness and used the stock ECU to essentially drive the indicator.
Yeah... the guy's name is Gus and he has what I believe to be the first documented 190 swap into a Z. Nice guy. I spoke with him a bit yesterday. I hope to see farther by standing on the shoulders of giants... that being said electrically his bike is a mess.

He is running the wire harness that comes with the motor for kill switch, coil, rectifier, CDI... maybe some other stuff I am forgetting... pretty much all the motor related electronics.

He has stock wire harness for signals and other lights.

Problem is he can't get the ZS190 to charge his battery. The quantity of wires between Z components and ZS components is mismatched and they can't talk to each other. So his lights are running off battery which doesn't get recharged when riding, and he has no tach or speedo. Check engine light on all the time for multiple errors.

When the parts get here I'm going to either:
1. Use ZS harness and new wiring for all lights
2. Get Grom clone harness for more plug and play (wire length for signals and headlight etc will probably be close), but my understanding is the engine electronics will need to be swapped to grom clone electronics so # of wires match up.

Really need to get it in hand to see what I am dealing with.

My build plan is to have everything connected on the bench, and fire the motor on the bench to make sure everything is connected correctly, then figure out how to jam everything into the Z.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page