California model difference - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Thunderpig

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

California model difference

I just picked up a new Z125 pro 2018 model in Florida. Got it home started checking things as dealer did a terrible job prepping the bike, which I paid for, and found out itís a California model. I found it has a charcoal canister and valve on the tank vent. Does it have other differences that effect how it runs?

Not happy about having a California model but if all I have to deal with is the canister I can live with it.

So whatís the verdict, I got had or no big deal or their all California models?
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:53 PM

Garage
I've seen all US models are Ca. models so far...

I gotta think the ECU is set differently for Ca. smog settings but dont know if that effects any performance issues.

I dont think it will run any better or worse untill something gos wrong with something in the system like ... one of the parts or valves or hoses or electrical wiring or connectors or ....

I am starting to see some gas tank venting problems ..

You can delete it but if your bike is new it will be years before something fails I'd guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaw'ee
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

I guess it makes sense in a way. Only have to make one version.

The system is super simple and if I ever take it down that far I'll probably ditch the canister and either keep the purge valve so I won't get a ECU error or replace with a resistor to fake out the ECU. Service manual shows I think the value for a good one is 35 ohms. So provided the resistor is a high enough wattage should work as a fake one.

Looking at the manual shows quite a few stupid people proofing things. A sensor that turns it off if it falls over. Really? The date recorder function is a little disturbing though, keeps track just like a aircraft black box. Big Brother is watching!

Oh well, just going to ride it, have fun and modify stuff as I get bored. All ready had a fender eliminator and graphics kit and colored brake lines ordered and haven't even gotten mine yet! We bought two and they only had one in stock in store. This weekend I'll get the second which makes testing easier for comparisons!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:32 PM

Garage
Welcome Thunderpig.

Everyone has the evap canister but not everyone has the weird chambered overflow line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderpig View Post
Got it home started checking things as dealer did a terrible job prepping the bike, which I paid for...
I know the feeling... I paid over an hour of labor for "set-up and assembly" and they let me ride away with 10psi in the tires. Not sure who's the bigger idiot in that situation... at least the tires got plenty of heat in them for break in. -_-

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Well I picked up the second bike which came from one of their other dealers. It was actually put together correctly! And its not a California model. So now to find out if they are any different performance wise. Then the question will be is the difference because it Cali model or a Friday after lunch model or just a good one. Hopefully they're close enough to not matter which what I expect.

So what kinda oil should I use?

Sorry just had to. Oil thread a staple of all motorcycle forums! Just for info sake I use what ever I have of the proper weight. This thing is low power and tech so no fancy stuff.

Thanks for the welcome, let the modding begin!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderpig View Post
...I use what ever I have of the proper weight.
Stole the words right off my keyboard. ;]

Dropped a gear... ...still here
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:23 AM

Garage
[QUOTE=Thunderpig;128557]

So what kinda oil should I use?

Sorry just had to. Oil thread a staple of all motorcycle forums! Just for info sake I use what ever I have of the proper weight. /QUOTE]

Synthetic's seems to really help with shifting issues on the Z'

And the only oil that actually does help engine life

Of course a JASO MA oil.
you scared me with the {I use what ever I have of the proper weight. }

Kaw'ee

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Guess I should have been more specific but thats usually how these get so crazy.

Yes, whatever motorcycle specific type of the proper weight I have around. Donít want to scare anyone.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Kaw'ee and Ando like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page